表 as vocabulary: おもて but also ひょう

Hey! :slight_smile: This is a minor issue, but it happened again so I’m bringing it up:

I get that WK wants to teach the word “おもて: front”, but without any context you can also read it as “ひょう: table/ chart”, which is a common word itself (Jisho and goo辞書), as in「人口動態を表にする」or「分数の傾きもこの表で表すことはできるだろうか」.

Somehow I think of charts before anything else, so “ひょう” is what I type in first. I use the override script and it’s not a big deal, but it would be nice to have a barrier that wouldn’t let me submit this answer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are a handful of words like this, such as 際 (きわ) and 際 (さい). They currently have no way to handle words that have multiple definitions for the same kanji orthography.

They’ve been made aware of the issue, but I don’t think there’s any changes on the horizon.

1 Like

That’s a tricky one too! I think I would read it さい, but I just saw they want きわ :sweat_smile:

1 Like

They should leave the vocab 表 as おもて but add other vocabs where 表 is read as ひょう. For example 時刻表 or 九九の表.

That would indeed reinforce “ひょう” as vocabulary :slight_smile: They apparently teach 時刻表 in level 34… Still a long journey before I get to read 表 → ひょう as much as I want, but yay! :partying_face:

It wouldn’t solve the problem that I get the reading “wrong” everytime I haven’t seen it for a while though. I wish they put the same block they have for on- and kunyomi, or just give more context, replacing it with something like “表から入る”. Then it would be unambiguous that they want “おもて”.

It’s the same for 際, if they put the block for さい or write “今わの際” it would be so much easier to answer “きわ” straightaway.

Hopefully they’ll make some changes?

1 Like

実 being read as み and meaning seed/nut was the one that tripped me up. :smiley:

(Also 身 being read as み and 身体 being read as からだ, but that’s neither here nor there)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.