紅茶 wtf man?

日本語は馬鹿じゃないのか?

Why does 紅茶 mean black tea??

紅 means, not just red, but deep red. It should be red tea! Like this could be the kanji for Rooibos tea and 黒茶 should be black tea because duh 黒=black but nooooo 黒茶 means deep brown.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/26ca0a88fc048d0aa957d3ca8a1c736e/tenor.gif?itemid=10237404

1 Like

This image is from the Wikipedia article “Black Tea”.
Does it look black or deep red?

17 Likes

Fun fact, Guinness is actually ruby\deep red and not black (as most people presume it to be). Hold it up to the light next time you have a pint and youll see. Thats how i remember this, cause deep red things appear black when they pool as a liquid :smile:

3 Likes

Black tea looks more deep red or crimson than black, I never quite understood why black tea was called black tea…

8 Likes

Still not black though.

And here’s Rooibos

The black in “black tea” doesn’t refer to the look of the drink but to the tea leaves. The tea leaves used in black tea are leaves that have oxidized. Tea leaves turn black as they oxidize and hence we have the term black tea. So I guess the English term focuses on the tea leaves used and the Japanese term focuses on the color of the drink.

17 Likes

The 紅 in 紅茶 in Japanese and Chinese refers to the the colour of the liquid. The Black in English (and russian for that matter) refers to colour of the leaves of fermented teas (although some pu’er can be a bit reddish in colour)

It’s always interest me that 茶色 means brown when I associate matcha green with tea in japan.

7 Likes

Interestingly, there is 抹茶色 which is probably closer to the matcha green you think of than 茶色. Also, jinx on the reply time!

Coca-cola is basically red too.

4 Likes

Do you know there’s a scale to measure beer colour? It’s the SRM Standard Reference Method - Wikipedia
There’s a beer called Imperial Stout that’s way darker than Guinness.

This video explains a lot.

5 Likes

Wow! What a great video! Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.