立てる should have "to stand" blacklisted

I know there was a previous topic, but never got an answer from the team on whether it should/would/could be changed or kept as is.

I had a review where for 立てる I entered “to stand” WK accepted it as close enough. I realized I made a mistake and know the difference between 立てる and 立つ. “to stand” and if it isn’t as well “to stand up” should be balcklisted and not accepted as the are intransitive or connotate that the subject/topic is standing itself, rather than standing or putting something else up.

I just wanted to make it aware to the team, that it is still an issue.

@Mods can you look at this?

1 Like

Thanks for flagging! We’ll take a closer look.

3 Likes

It’s both in English though, and even Jisho has it as “to stand up”

I stood up. Intransitive. 立つ.

I stood up the doll/I stood the doll up. Transitive. 立てる.

1 Like

I think the point is that 立てる is not “to stand” (with nothing specified) and therefore the fact that “to stand” was accepted as an answer for 立てる is a problem.

5 Likes

OP’s also advocating for “to stand up” to be blacklisted too, though

2 Likes

I can kind of see where they’re coming from with that as well, since “to stand up” doesn’t feel as lonely as other transitiive-verbs-with-no-subject-listed. So it definitely evokes the sense of “oh, this verb can mean intransitive stand up” with it.

The only issue is that they would need to make sweeping changes to how transitive and intransitive verbs are handled to not disrupt how people already use this site in its inconsistent form.

2 Likes

Since it’s marked as transitive though, and the main definition is “to stand something up” and the listed alternatives also all make it clear that it’s transitive, I don’t see why “to stand up” should be blacklisted when it’s also a perfectly valid transitive verb in English

2 Likes

Please only if it does the shake and says try again! I can see myself getting caught by this then getting angry because what I meant by to stand was to stand up a thing.
(Apparently I have never gotten this one wrong, but I suspect that’s not the case, I probably got annoyed and dumped my cache and started the session again).

1 Like

There’s another meaning for this that’s not listed here… you might want to look it up :sweat_smile:

The issue is when you’re doing reviews, not when you’re looking at the item page.

I don’t see any issue with having it do the shake and have the user input the longer version to confirm they aren’t confusing it for an intransitive verb during reviews. If it really bothers some people, perhaps they can make a setting that is on by default but can be turned off at the user’s discretion in the settings.

2 Likes

I think it accepts “to stand up” because it assumes you mean it as “to stand (something) up” or “to stand up (something)” because you can phrase it that way in English.

Ex. “I stood up a sign” vs. “I stood a sign up.”

It seems with other-move verbs, WK tends to let you give an answer that doesn’t explicitly include the word “something.”

So I guess “to stand up” is technically a correct answer, but I do think it can be confusing.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.