神さまがまちガえる | Week 2 Discussion

Yes, that’s how I understand that scene.

7 Likes

Thanks! :yellow_heart: Made a lot of sense now :blush:!

5 Likes

He is comparing eating meat indoors vs in nature then proceed to add the mention of just being in the garden since technically they are not really in the wild haha
"Why is it that to eat meat in nature is so delicious ? It’s only the garden tbh

Also since we are on this I looked up the difference between 食べる and 食う, and I read that it sounded rougher, kind of animal like. Also read that it carried the meaning of consuming since it could also be used for money.
So does it sound closer to something like “Why is it that devouring meat in nature is so delicious ?”
If anyone is familiar with case usages of 食う, I’d be thankful ! :pray:

4 Likes
Chapters comments

I swear!I love all the characters whose main personality characteristic is sleeping ! Reminds me of Laure from Tower of Gods. All his chara design is just based on him cocooning in his blanket :laughing:

I agree but it makes me realize how vocab is really my main weakness right now.
The first read was a bit tedious because of all the words I had to look up in the dictionary !

4 Likes
Sleeping characters

Looool, I’ve never watched Tower of Gods. Now I’m absolutely tempted. There’s something so funny but so real about characters like that. Is it good :eyes:?

Haha, same. But I don’t mind looking up vocab if it’s just a few pages per day worth of reading. That’s why I spread it out over the week. :pray: Let’s work hard on learning them words so we can eventually read the entire thing without any issue! :grin:

6 Likes
ToG

I haven’t watch the anime version, but if it’s as good as the webtoon, definitely ! Great story, art and universe, the first arc (~80) is a bit slow but after that it gets reaaally good and the art improves tremendously in my humble opinion ! :slight_smile:

Yes, patience and dedication is all there is to build up solid vocabulary :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

That’s interesting about the other uses of 食う. I’d only ever heard it used as a rougher, masculine form of 食べる. However goo says that there are also lot of neutral, idiomatic usages of 食う where often things are the subject, like “this car eats gasoline”:

「食う」は、「この車はガソリンを食う」のように、物が主語のときも使われる。また、「小言を食う」「あおりを食う」「時間を食う」など、慣用表現も多い。

Someone on Yahoo Answers also wrote that 食う predates 食べる and originally had no rough nuance. If I understand it correctly, 食う only gradually got a negative nuance because it expresses 欲望 - desire, appetite. Apparently the verb 食べる (originally 食ぶ) came about later as the honorific, polite form of 食う.

6 Likes
page 31

I think you already got all answers here, but since I don’t read that out of your translation and since it hasn’t been mentioned yet: I think 怒られない is suffering passive, so it’s more like “we/you won’t be scolded” (or more naturally, “nobody will scold us/you”).

9 Likes

Always fascinating to see how a language evolves in time. Meaning shifting to a wider or tighter spectrum of usage. New words taking the leading role and outdating older words.

6 Likes

Whew - slowly catching up, both with the manga and with the threads! Although “slowly” might not be the best way to describe it, because I’m trying to go for one week every day so I can catch up with you folks before it’s over!

The first part of chapter 1 went super smoothly for me, and while I felt that the second part wasn’t particularly hard, I somehow have lots of questions that are not asked by anyone else so far. Incoming question wave:

Page 22
  • Kasane: バーベキュー用の隅とかって置いてたっけ
    • What’s the 置いてたっけ there? Is she trying to recall (っけ) if that shopkeeper had been… stocking coal, or something? I thought っけ is more for speaking to yourself, but she’s speaking to him there.
    • And what’s the translation of 置く that is used here? I can guess the intent, but none of the ones on Jisho seem to fit too well.
Page 24
  • Flower shopkeeper: もうどれが売り物だか
    DeepL translates that as “I don’t know which ones are for sale anymore.”, which sounds extremely fitting, but I have no idea how to get to that. The best I could come up with is “Which ones are for sale?” with no idea what to do with the もう.
  • Seafood shopkeeper: わかめがふえるふえる / 乾燥わかめじゃないっつの
    • Is the later part saying that this newly increased seaweed isn’t dried seaweed though?
    • What’s the っつ?
    • I guess the の is explanatory?
Page 26
  • Greengrocer: 八百屋にちょうど野菜が生えてくれなんてな
    Is that something like “It’s almost as if vegetables are growing for the greengrocer”?
Page 27
  • Kon: じゃあこのアスパラって食べたとして栄養になるの?
    Is that “Then, assuming we ate something like this asparagus, will it become nutrients?”? I’m a bit confused by the later part; of course it will become nutrients, but the more important question would be if those nutrients will somehow vanish together with the other products of the bug, right?
Page 30
  • Kon (assumedly), after Kasane says the park looks three times as fun: ややこしことに…
    “It’s a bit of a troubling matter”? Eh? The park that’s more fun? The fact that Kasane likes it?
Page 31
  • Kasane: あのツタをこっちに植え替えられないかな / 勝手に伸びていい感じになりそう
    Is that “I wonder if that ivy over there could be replanted to here. It will grow on its own and give the place a nice feeling.”?
Page 32
  • Kon, looking at Kasane, who is examining the kid’s basecamp: あれもわかんないことをわかろうとするってことなのかな?
    Is that “I wonder if that’s also a matter of trying to understand a thing that is not understood.”?
  • Kon: 遊んでるだけな気もする…
    • What’s with the も in 気もする? Is it something like “But on the other hand”, as in “But on the other hand, it feels like nothing more than playing around”?
    • What’s up with the な?
Page 36
  • Kon: もしかしてだけどこれっておれの誕生パーティー的な?
    • もしかしてだけど - is that “I might be wrong, but”?
    • おれの誕生パーティー的 - is that “something like my birthday party”?
    • な - what does that な do here? “isn’t it?” feels a bit weird to me since Kon seems to be quite unsure about it.
  • Kon: この人が一番わからないのでは
    What’s the のでは there? I assume something is missing afterwards?
Page 37
  • Kousei: ほら主役肉食え肉
    …何これ. I’m a bit lost here on almost all parts.

…damn, the researcher who only ate bug-related products for what I assume was the full TWO WEEKS to find out what’ll happen to him must’ve had nerves of steel. “Will I die or not? Only one way to find out!” Although I guess maybe it was less dramatic and he wasn’t in danger of starvation due to eating every third day or so, haha.

That’s just daily life for me as a software developer :smiling_face_with_tear:

5 Likes
Page 22

She is kind of using the っけ towards herself since she isn’t quite sure if the shop has coal or not. It is kind of a roundabout way of asking if the shopkeeper has the desired item especially if you have a vague memory of said item in that shop. On your second point it is the truncated form of 置いている and in natural english you would probably say have in stock but literally “be placed” might be closer

Page 24
  • the translation sounds correct. This sentence is missing the end like a lot of sentences in spoken Japanese. If you spell it out completely it would probably end up looking something like this もうどれが売り物だか[売り物ではないだかぜんぜんわかりません]. The だか is very close to とか. The もう in this case is an expression of exasperation.
  • This is really hard to translate. It is a short form of “っていうの” and is probably signalling his disbelief and frustration over the current situation.
Page 26

She is more saying something along the lines of “what a nice coincidence that at the greengrocer vegetables are growing”. Most of the nuance can be picked from the word くれる

Page 27

Since all of this is growing because of a bug, he is questioning if the plants even have nutrients in them.

Page 30

I’m not sure about a direct translation but he definitely sees the downsides of having a bunch of plants in the middle of the playground. He kind of takes the adult role in that scene

5 Likes

I have a vague feeling that the researcher in question might be Kasane herself xD

7 Likes

@Shadowlauch, thanks!

Page 24

Oooh, missing the end. That makes sense. It might actually just be もうどれが売り物だか[わからない] then, with だ being the copula and か marking the indirect question. (And もう being the “anymore” in “I don’t know which ones are for sale anymore.”)

Page 26

Got it! I actually misread (and miswrote above) the くる in the sentence as くれる and got confused from there, but with 生えてくる (came to be growing) it makes sense.

Page 27

Hmmm. Yeah, that is how that sentence looks like to me too in isolation, but I feel like from the context it is pretty clear that he is worrying about the fate of those nutrients once the bug ends, not whether the plants have nutrients. All sentences around it are related to bugged-out things returning to their normal form at the end. Maybe it’s just me, but “Will they become nutrients” seems out of place there.

Kon: でもバグってる木とか草ってあと何日かしたら元に戻るんだぞね?
(But bugged-out trees and grass, for example, returns to normal afterwards, doesn’t it?)

Kasane: そうだね。育ちすぎたものは元の大きさになるし、新しく生えてきたものは消えるはず。
(Yeah. Things that grew too much return to their normal size, new things vanish.)

Kon: じゃあこのアスパラって食べたとして栄養になるの?
(Seemingly “Then, assuming someone eats something like this asparagus, will it become nutrients?”, but something like “Then what happens to those nutrients?” seems like it would be less out of place here…)

…and then followed by Kasane’s retelling of the experiment where the researcher spend his time eating bug-related food, and that after two weeks everything turned back like before (Kon being visibly uneasy), but the researcher didn’t starve to death.

I doubt it because of the むかし and because of [next chapter spoiler] her not being affected by bugs (although I have no idea how far that goes or if that only applies to directly human-affecting bugs), but she definitely seems like the type to do something like that :smiley:

3 Likes
Pg. 31

Yep, that’s the general vibe, I think.

Pg. 32
  • I agree with that first translation

For the second question, it’s the same as 気がする, but expressing multiple opinions (I feel this and that).

It can be used to literally express two opinions that don’t necessarily contradict:

• その辺は暗くてちよっと危ない気もする = “I feel like that area is dark and a little dangerous.”

It can also be used to express when you have a second opinion but aren’t totally concrete on what it may be, and they may slightly contradict (which is what I agree is happening here, and your “but on the other hand,” is not necessarily far off). He originally wonders if it’s a matter of trying to understand the bugs (“Ah, maybe she is suggesting the transplant to test a theory.”), but he also notes that it just feels like she is playing with the kids. Two opinions: “She is behaving like a researcher, and also it feels like she is just playing.”

I’m kinda going out on a limb here based on how I’ve seen it used, but it seems like it goes back to how Japanese doesn’t like to directly contradict in most cases. So to maintain that type of ambiguity, rather than directly saying, “She is definitely not behaving like a researcher and just playing around,” the 気もする tries to make it sound like it’s a possibility both things are true (even if Kon himself doubts that to be the case).

Now, it feels a little strange because he would only be disagreeing with himself, but I’ve seen 気もする used in that sense when two people disagreed on something, and to avoid coming across as rude, the other person says their opposing opinion with 気もする. Not far off in English, when somebody softens their argument with. “But I also feel like…”

Which is a lot of words to essentially say I agree with you here. :joy:

Perhaps somebody else disagrees with that though.

The な is just a casual sentence ending な. 気もする kinda acts as a quotation phrase. If he was more certain, he could use と思う instead, which would make it clearer that な is just a sentence ending one.

Pg. 36

You have the rest of the sentence. And the な doesn’t feel out of place to me. Remember, it’s pretty versatile. It can be like a よ, and be assertive, but it’s also used like ね in some cases, to seek confirmation, which is definitely what’s happening here. “I could be wrong, but this is something like my birthday party, right?”

I would also say he is more caught off guard than unsure. She did literally just tell him happy birthday in the previous panel, so it’s more like a, “Wait, this is supposed to be that, right?” than genuinely being unsure.

Usually the implied part when a sentence ends in では is ないか, I find. ではないか is a grammar point that is essentially another confirmation type of sentence ending ala な that can either soften a sentence or be assertive. In this case, I would view it as softening it qnd making it a wondering type of sentence, sort of like かな: “I guess this person is the most difficult to understand…” (Note, I don’t like this translation, but I’m struggling to put my thoughts into English for it, and it gets the point across)

In this case, Kon isn’t the only one baffled, and he sees that her actions don’t particularly make any sense to other people either, since Maruko doesn’t get why Kasane suddenly decided on that day for the birthday party when Kon’s birthday was last week.

pg. 37

This one felt too slangy for me also. Basically, I think it’s supposed to be:

“Hey, the leading part/the star of the show: Meat! Eat meat!”

But it’s phrased so strangely because it’sall crushed into a single sentence. :sweat_smile:

The gist of it is Kon is being served meat and told to eat it by an excited Kousei.

4 Likes