神さまがまちガえる | Volume 2 Discussion

Various answers

Page 155

I agree with your first translation.
In the second one, I believe “起きる” is being used in the sense of “to occur” or “to happen” => “I wonder where was such a big bug was happening…”

どこで here would be どこ (where) + で (particle) - the latter can be used to indicate the location of an event.

Page 160

Yes - Kon feels Kasane’s explanation makes a lot of sense given the things that have happened to him today.

Page 162

Not confident on this one, but my interpretation is the following.

生まれてくる means that someone was born, and the came to a certain point in time which is not necessarily immediately after being born. Take for example the expression:

So here, the person is born first, then after an unspecified time, they experience a certain thing for the first time. Like in that jisho example sentence, they drink a lot for the first time (which obviously didn’t happen when they were still a baby).

I feel Kasane is using 生まれてくる in a double sense here. In Kon’s case, he was born immediately as some people’s roommate, and as some people’s friends (like a person would be born someone’s child or relative). However, Kasane feels this is not very different from a normal person that is born, and after certain time, becomes friend or roommates with others - the “come into someone’s life” is not very different from “being born into their life” from the roommate or friend’s point of view.

I believe the って is the casual quotation marker particle.
I believe だけで here means “just by”. Just by (saying) “People are born 0 years old as someone’s child” (you could also say) “Sometimes there are people that are born 14 years old as someone’s roommate”

Page 168

I feel this is quite ambiguous, but my interpretation is that まともな is more like “proper” or “sensible” here. Since there’s always a bug going on that makes things wacky, it’s kind hard to feel the world is in a correct state.

Page 175

Yes, that’s my interpretation too.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answers!

Page 150 (not 155)

You mean like a physical location? I feel like “What was affected” would be a better question, but… I guess with the water fleas the location would’ve been “an area in the ocean”? Maybe there are bugs that are hard to find physically and we just haven’t seen a lot of them yet.

(Btw, because you mixed up page 150 and 155, you might’ve missed the page 155 question.)

2 Likes
More comments / answers

Hmmm, yes I’d say physical location… As you mention, if a bug affects a certain type of animals, for example, the bug would naturally be restricted to places where those animals inhabit.

So I imagine the question leans towards the fact that the bug must have been happening in such unlikely location(s) that it was not noticed by anyone (despite being a big bug). Something like ‘where exactly was such a big bug happening (for it to not be to noticed), I wonder?’.

Oh sorry, I didn’t realize.

Sadly I’m not confident in this one either, but here’s how I understand it.

I believe 「設定」refers to the particular conditions of how a bug works. In Kon’s case, the “setting” of the bug was that people around him wouldn’t realize he had appeared suddenly, and would not find anything odd with any of his inconsistencies. This would also happen on Kon’s side - he believed he knew other people as roommates/friends for a while, and that he had parents and so on.

So this ‘setting’ allows Kon to live in blissful ignorance. I believe that’s what Kasane feels it’s half-baked - the bug’s setting is allowing Kon to live basically a lie. Maybe she even means this in the “irresponsible” sense, though it begs the question of whose responsibility (probably God/whoever is causing the bugs). I guess she feels that way because she realizes such a lie cannot be sustained for long, and that’s certainly going to negatively affect Kon.

So my translation would be something like “As for this ‘continue to live normally without knowing anything’ (bug) setting, it’s too half baked / irresponsible”

3 Likes

Finally starting to catch up :sweat_smile: I just finished chapter 9 and I was so not expecting that! It’s making me more excited to keep reading this series and to eventually go back and re-read when my understanding is better because honestly a lot of the big dialogue chunks are just going over my head. I’m trying to not get too caught up in translating perfectly atm though since I don’t want to completely lose steam again.

Thanks everyone for working on the vocab and answering questions! It’s helping me out a lot :grin:

page 125

In the first panel, Kasane says
"私にだけは可愛いしっぱは生えないわけだモヤモヤするよね”
I’m struggling to figure out what this means.
私にだけは - only for me
可愛いしっぱは - cute?? + grammar I haven’t learned yet? Jisho has an entry for っぱ that says “keep …-ing; have been …-ing; leaving (something) on; leaving (something) still in use” but I’m not sure how that fits in with the rest of the sentence.
生えないわけだ - conclusion of not growing
モヤモヤするよね - makes (me) feel depressed

My guess it that it’s something along the lines of “I’m sad that I’m the only one who won’t grow in a cute way” but that sounds kinda off to me.

3 Likes

I don’t have the book in front of me, but it’s almost certainly しっぽ (not しっぱ), which means tail.

3 Likes

ahhhh you’re right. Thank you! I stared at that wayyyy too long to not notice I was reading it incorrectly >_<;;

3 Likes