獣の奏者 prologue, part 2 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Prologue, Part 2: 母の指笛、霧の民アーリョ

Start Date: February 1st
Previous Week: Prologue, part 1
Next Week: Prologue, part 3

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:30PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-02-09T13:30:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

2 Likes

Somehow a harder read than last week. I didn’t stop to check words I didn’t know, since I felt they were understandable from context (e.g., 竃) but still.
Story-wise, it sounds like the end of the beginning.

5 Likes

Really liking the vibe this story is giving so far! (which is good, because I already bought the 2nd volume since it had that coins up thing on bookwalker)

6 Likes

I’ve just read thought this part and I liked it…even if I forebode darker times in the story :eyes: I didn’t add many words to kitsun but I checked a good number on the kindle dictionary. How many pages has the book?

Made me laugh the cooking part with the miso seasoning :laughing:they put miso even in a fantasy story

4 Likes

I didn’t get a couple of things:

6%
出てこず
7%
誰から教えられた知恵でもないけれど

出てこず:
出て is te-form of 出る, こず is 来る + the ず construct (which means “not” or “without”)
Together they make 出てこず = not coming out / without coming out

誰から教えられた知恵でもないけれど = wisdom that wasn’t taught to her by anyone

2 Likes

Thanks! I don’t quite understand the こ :eyes: how can we get 出てこず from 出る and ず?where does the こ come from? Should I check a particular grammar form?

Oh, as I said, the 来る + ず results in こず (just like こない but substitute ない with ず), and this attaches to the te-form of 出る. 出て + こず = 出てこず

1 Like

Ahhh sorry I’m quite dense sometimes :laughing:
So it comes from 来る? and becomes 来ず?

1 Like

Yep. くる just has weird conjugations.

2 Likes

I really didn’t remember this one :crazy_face: thanks :blush::nerd_face:

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it to be honest. But once @mrahhal mentioned it I remembered that it’s always negative form just with ない replaced with ず.

1 Like

Wow, there are so many words I don’t know in the first few pages of the section. I really like the phrase 物心がつく though.

5 Likes

“Thing-heart is attached”, right?
Personally I try to keep my thing-heart attached as often as possible for health reasons.

7 Likes

If this is what it’s like to read without a dictionary, I’m glad I use one! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Has anyone ever seen こもる written in kanji? It was written here in kana, so I’m not sure if it’s worth learning the kanji for it.

I have, yes. I don’t remember from which book, but I’ve added 籠る on Floflo.
I’m going to take an educated guess and say it was from 新世界より

1 Like

:joy:

Thanks, I’ll learn it that way then. The meaning from reading should be easy if I can remember to associate it with ひきこもり.

2 Likes

Wow, such perfect timing.

Kind of annoying that it’s written as both 籠る and 籠もる since I have to pick one to study.

2 Likes

籠もる seems to be the most common way. It’s not the first thing my IME suggests, though, but my IME is weird.

2 Likes