獣の奏者 prologue, part 3 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Prologue, Part 3: 母の指笛、母の指笛

Start Date: February 8th
Previous Week: Prologue, part 2
Next Week: Prologue, part 4

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:30PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-02-16T13:30:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

1 Like

Here’s my usual “I love this” comment. This was a good chapter (and very sad, I really liked the mother).

4 Likes

The first section of this week’s reading was a bit tough. I read the last two pages before the first break (page 48) without looking anything up, but I only got the gist of it. There were so many words I didn’t know, so I’ll have to go back and fill in the gaps.

I do have one question already though. Twice they used あろう, and besides knowing that it can be the volitional of ある, I’m not sure what it means in these contexts. Both on page 45.

抜きんでた医術の腕だと?さもあろうよ。霧の民とは、そういう、奇妙な術を使う輩だ。

闘蛇衆の頭領ともあろう者が、そんなこともわからぬのか!

The second one seems like it means “should be” or “supposed to be”, but I’m not sure. And I have no idea on the first one.

1 Like

I think we should treat them separately.

さもあろう has the same meaning as かもしれない.

ともあろう is a grammatical structure very similar to たる but has a nuance of “someone as great as X”, and shows surprise or anger after it.

闘蛇衆の頭領ともあろう者が、そんなこともわからぬのか!
Someone like the head of the 闘蛇衆… not knowing even that?!

6 Likes

So for the first one, it’s like “Medical skills beyond all others? Perhaps. The Aryo practice strange magic.”?

1 Like

Exactly, yeah that’s how I understood it. Medical skills beyond all others? That may be so… [After all] the Aryo practice strange magic.

2 Likes

I liked this chapter…

very sad though. I really hope it’s going to take a lighter lining in the next chapters :laughing: what a scum that grandfather :rage:

Wait, I am confused about the schedule…Am I supposed to have read this section already or read up to it and be starting it now? I thought I was actually keeping up (and not going ahead) for once, but from the few comments here it seems like everyone has already read this section.

You’re keeping up, I just had time today and went ahead reading it all but it’s scheduled for up to next Tuesday if I remember well.

1 Like

The schedule indicates the start of each week (always on Saturday, though I post the threads my Friday night). We are all starting part 3 of the prologue today. Some people just read fast!

2 Likes

Ah, ok cool. I was worried that the one time I actually tried to follow schedule I was already failing on the second week. Thanks!

1 Like

For the book clubs I usually have to finish the part the same day it starts because I don’t have the time to read them in weekdays :pensive:

3 Likes

I’m pretty lost on this sentence on page 48.

Question

祖父母がひきとるのが筋だろうが、彼らがどんな感情を持ってエリンに接するか、母にはわかっていたし、サジュの両親も、それは察していたのだ。

Something about it being logical for the grandparents to take Erin but the mother knowing how they feel about her and Saju’s parents guessing at it as well. Or something like that. I’m fuzzy on the specifics around 筋 in this context, as well as 接する. Those two words are pretty key to the sentence, so I could be way off on my guess because of that.

2 Likes
I enjoy doing guessy translations for fun, grammarぬけ

Her grandparents taking her in probably seemed the most logical, but Erin’s mother understood what kind of sentiments they might harbor while looking after Erin, and Saju’s parent guessed it as well.

3 Likes

に接する could mean also “to take care of” and 筋 lineage, descendant. So I got it all as grandfather and grandmother where the obvious ones in line to adopt her but Soyon had known Their feelings and she was in doubt (that ka in the end of the sentence) if they would have taken care of Erin. Even the saju knew that and she decided for them.”
The English translation could be a bit off :laughing:

2 Likes

Ah! I didn’t see this, it’s quite similar to mine so maybe we got it right :laughing:

1 Like

I finish this week’s reading and I pass from despair to hope to despair again. I was sure that she wouldn’t be able to save her. Then, she cut the thread giving me hope. Then she threw the sword. Btw why did the mother not escaped with the daughter? It seemed like she was able to stop the movement of these lizards dragon kinda thing? Was she scared of retaliation? And damn that grandfather. I hope he suffers in future chapter.
This part was really good. I couldn’t stop reading. It was also, for me, easy to understand which made it more enjoyable.

Edit: I like when the spoiler tags decides to not work

4 Likes

Her stomach was cut deeply before they threw her into the pond to attract the 闘蛇. She does say at some point that she knows there’s no hope for her, so she aims to save her child instead.

2 Likes

Oh! looks like I missed that. I knew she was wounded but I was sure she was beaten and swolen only. This feels even sadder now

1 Like

The か here is not indicative of any doubt on Erin’s mother’s part I believe, but simply marks the imbedded (this is very likely spelled wrong but I can’t remember and do not care enough) question - how would they take care of Erin? Her mother understood and…

It’s just that these relative clauses work differently in Japanese than English (in English you’d say ‘she understood how they would take care of Erin and…’).

I’m leaving out the rest of the sentence because I agree with what’s been said on that. ^^