獣の奏者 chapter 8, part 2 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 8, Part 2: 風雲、獣の血

Start Date: October 10th
Previous Week: Chapter 8, part 1
Next Week: Chapter 8, part 3

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-10-18T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

1 Like

Yes ! I’m back first again :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

This week spoiler

This week’s chapter was full of emotion. リラン when went berserk on them. Erin felt back for him but I don’t. They were kidnapping her. I was hoping they all get killed but I guess it’s not that kind of story. The moment that Erin’s left hand was bitten I was thinking to myself, shouldn’t have tried to stop him. I’m surprised she used the whistle though. How much do you want to bet the new Queen(or ダミヤ) just want her close for when Aruan(Hope I wrote it correctly this time) will attack?

3 Likes
Spoilerss

You mean she should have let riran kill her? :thinking:

From what I understood, rather than trying to protect Erin, Riran recognized the men as the people who used the whistle on her when she was injured as a young beast. She attacked when the men moved to blow the whistle rather than when Erin was grabbed.

She also reacted aggressively to Erin at the end of the chapter because she was wearing the whistle openly then.

That said, I really liked this chapter. There was a lot going on, and we saw a lot of Erin’s thoughts and feelings. And, well. Erin asserting dominance at the end there has me wondering how her relationship with Riran is going to evolve now.

7 Likes
Not spoilers

Because I haven’t read yet.

4 Likes
Answer to Belerith

Yes !!!
Not really, I mean she was so against the use of whistle I was expecting her to just try to calm リラン with words. She really hated the whistle.

2 Likes

Yeah really liked it as well. Especially Erin’s actions this time around. It was a bit sad though.

Yes, but it was either that or she dies. There wasn’t a choice really.

I think Erin is finally starting to understand the meaning behind “王獣s are 獣s, and they’ll always be”. And no matter how much you want to coexist with them, the whistle is becoming an essential defense mechanism you need to use at some point. And while we saw Erin take action, we still didn’t see her deeper thoughts about this, so it’ll be interesting hearing her actually changing some of her previously adamant beliefs about the path of no-whistle.

5 Likes

That sums up my feelings on the chapter as well.

4 Likes

I thought this was a kid’s book :eyes:
This chapter was sad but I do like that it’s not as simple as ‘the protagonist befriended the very scary monster and nothing bad happened ever and it was everyone else that was completely wrong the end’. I also have no idea where this is going anymore so that’s exciting.

4 Likes

Before reading the chapter, I thought that they would come to take Erin and Riran and that Erin would fly Riran to escape. Seemed like a reasonable guess, but didn’t turn out that way.

By the way @Sylph, I’m pretty sure the book is targeted towards middle school age readers, so I don’t know that I would say “kids”. I couldn’t find a source to back that up, but that was my impression.

3 Likes