獣の奏者 chapter 8, part 1 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 8, Part 1: 風雲、求婚

Start Date: October 3rd
Previous Week: Chapter 7, part 6
Next Week: Chapter 8, part 2

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-10-11T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

1 Like

Really liked the セィミヤ・シュナン talk. Aren’t those the two who were throwing each other looks at one dining party with ヨジェ and アルハン there a long time ago? This is such a change from that time. And, ダミヤ continues to baffle me. The あの人 from イアル was making me suspicious… but this chapter.

I loved how menacing シュナン’s proposal was without him even being rude on the surface in front of セィミヤ. We’ve read his name a lot of times in the past but this is the 1st time his name stuck. I went in the chapter expecting a marriage proposal from アルハン’s son, but this is much better.

3 Likes

The chapter was longer than usual but did not seemed that long.

Spoiler for this week

So lots of stuff happened. I found what シュナン did to be pretty epic. If I read it correctly it is" If you are a goddess strike with you divine authority or become my wife" I found that to be epic. He was right though he could wipe out the royal family easy-peasy. No need for cheap tricks when you can smash the front door.

I thought the same thing. I’m not sure though.

I still think the “guy” the イアル was supposed to deal with is ダミヤ he gets more and more fishy.
Btw I never knew アレハン was a person’s name. I feel like I lost a part of the information before :sob: He just passed from “defend to the country” to “inquisition” in a moment.

1 Like

アルハン is a title, just like ヨジェ.

2 Likes

Maybe one day I will be able to write that word correctly ha ha

1 Like

The chapter was long and a bit difficult at times, but I guess all the setup is important. Hopefully things get easier again after this.

4 Likes

Hmm I don’t seem to remember anything about “or become my wife”. I think it was just “If you really do believe you’re a god/protected by the gods (as a ヨジェ), stand face to face with our 闘蛇部隊 and let’s see if a miracle will happen.”

1 Like

I might have made a mistake. 「セイミヤさま、民のために、その身を、わたくしに捧げてください」 since 捧げる can mean to offer I thought it meant “offer me your body” so become my wife. Did he meant to dedicate herself to the population? I might have made a movie in my head for that part that was not accurate

3 Likes

I don’t have the book in front of me, but I also thought it was prove you’re divine by having the miracle or marry me (or prepare for my troops to march on you if you say you won’t).

5 Likes

Ohh. You might be right. Because he was in the middle of talking about facing off Toudas and what not, I directly took that as “show a miracle or die [by Toudas]” (so I took it as “offer your life as a sacrifice if you can’t show a miracle, [and after that I’ll take control and better the lives of people]”). Makes more sense that he’s asking for marriage because of the title, yeah.

4 Likes

You mean I was right… for the first time in a Japanese understanding situation? :sob: I want a badge for that. It’s my first time :scream: I just usually think I’m wrong in these cases. Sorry, not wanting to brag or anything just feel happy. I’m getting good at Japanese. Now I can finally stop studying. :no_mouth:

4 Likes

No don’t take anything for granted, you deserve it haha :medal_military:
But no don’t stop :joy:

2 Likes

My personal theory at this point: Damiya wanted Seimiya to tell him that he was the man she liked the most… but she didn’t… because she secretly loves someone else. :dark_sunglasses:

Also, Damiya has a major incentive to involve Erin now, because he needs that miracle to happen so that Shunan doesn’t run off with Seimiya. (I also missed the whole marry me or else aspect, but I guess poor old Shunan didn’t get very far with just gazing at her wistfully and sending presents, so this is his next step to try and stop his father just coming in and taking over by force).

4 Likes
Question

祖母を殺した者が誰なのか、セィミヤに知らせずにおくわけにはいかない。しかし、知らせても、信じるかどうか…。

How am I supposed to interpret the 知らせずにおく part? He can’t afford to leave it (in a state) without informing セィミヤ?

2 Likes

Yeah read it exactly like that.

3 Likes

This was a long and difficult one but things keep escalating!

扉をあけて、居間に足を踏み入れると、ダミヤと真王セィミヤが寄り添うようにして立っている姿が目にとびこんできた。泣いていたのか、セィミヤの目は赤かったが、表情は思いのほか明るく、頰はわずかに上気している。

苦い思いが、胸に沈んだ。

Same here, イアル.

From the title I was definitely expecting something different. I was getting to the end and thought… well, I think they may have forgotten about the 求婚 because this is not going in that direction. And then… :fearful:

3 Likes