狼と香辛料 - Spice and Wolf 🐺 (Advanced Book Club)

Alo posted a list a bit further up in this thread: Most recent Japanese word you've learned? - #5122 by alo which I am sure we can reuse, so if you could just check and write up any words that aren’t in that list yet, that would be ideal.
Should we just use a Google vocab spreadsheet like in the other book clubs? That might be the easiest because everybody can contribute. Could you maybe set that up and post the link here if you got the time? I think there is a template in the book club tips thread, or you can just roll your own of course. Thank you! :bowing_woman:

3 Likes

I don’t think there will be so much dialect that we need a spreadsheet. This is the advanced book club after all. :slight_smile:

Alo’s post has most of what I noted, but I’ll get a full list together once I finish the section.

4 Likes

@NicoleIsEnough @seanblue yay I contributed in some way. :smiley:

8 Likes

Aaaaand here is our first week! :tada:

Just to make sure everybody realizes, I am posting this thread a tad early to help mitigate @seanblue’s timing issues. The book club starts officially on Saturday!
Please don’t feel pressured to start reading just yet but of course you can, now that the thread is there already :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Welcome to the second week! Let’s finish off Chapter 1 this time:

4 Likes

Sorry for the slight delay! Here is week 3:

4 Likes

Welcome to week 4! We’re reading the first half of chapter 3, so please make sure to stop at the breakpoint :wink:

5 Likes

Is it true? We’re in week 5 already! :upside_down_face:
This week we’re finishing off chapter 3.

4 Likes

On to week 6, which brings us the first half of chapter 4:

4 Likes

I think I’m past the point of no return on this book… I barely started week 4’s content, so there’s no way I’m catching up at this point… It’s a shame, because I enjoyed the first two chapters. But I’m just not feeling it right now for some reason. Guess I’ll do what I did with 薬屋のひとりごと and come back to this when the interest strikes.

7 Likes

Here is week 7, which brings us the end of chapter 4:

3 Likes

We’re on the penultimate week already (wohoo!) in which we will read a full chapter for a change:

4 Likes

And finally here it is: Our last week:

3 Likes

Satisfaction Poll Time!

Have you read Spice and Wolf?

• I finished it
  • I’m still reading and I plan on finishing it
  • I don’t plan to finish it
  • I never even started it

0 voters

If you read the book, how would you rate it on a 5 point scale? (1: hated it, 5: loved it)

• Unsure / Didn’t finish

0 voters

If you read the book, how would you rate its difficulty?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

Participation Statistics

At first, we had quite the number of readers given this is an Advanced Club book, but after week 3 (where some of the economy topics come up for the first time) we see a steep decline, and from then on the number of readers keeps falling slowly until the very end.

11 Likes

The first 20 volumes are available to rent through Kindle Unlimited right now!

2 Likes

If only I could actually read these quickly :sob:

3 Likes

Once you rent them they are in your library until you return them.

2 Likes

I did not know that. :astonished:

You have a max of 20 books at any time, so my library for Kindle Unlimited is just this series haha.

3 Likes

For 29 yen I got the book. (returned it months ago). Only read the prologue so far but it’s the first book in a long time I read and felt like I could visualize what was happening. Definitely going to continue reading! I’ll get to the first week and write my thoughts there.

6 Likes