Week 6

Start Date: Oct 01
Previous Part: Week 5
Next Part: Week 7

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Start Page Page Count
Week 6 Oct 01 Chapter 4 Start (until 大声で店主に桶を持ってくるようにと叫んたのだった。) 173 24

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

1 Like

Fellow -るる collectors will find one on page 184, though it is only the common or garden 恐るる.

9 Likes

I guess this week’s section wasn’t as interesting as last one, at least for me. Nevertheless it was still interesting to see Holo with a hangover and ロレンス teasing her.
I also found quite interesting that it is mentioned that people with long hairs are usually aristocrats because only wealthy people would have the means to tend and take care of it. It makes sense considering the setting we’re in.

I’m pretty sure it’s the first time I’ve seen this construction. Is there a grammar rule to るる? I haven’t been able to find one at least so far. Well, seems I’m a -るる collector now too :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

It’s the way to conjugate 二段 verbs into 連体形 apparently. You add a る at the end of the verb, so if the verb already ends in る you end up with るる.

Apparently just like modern 一段 verbs, they have two versions, one for ~い and one for ~え sounds.

I’ve only seen this once before, but I don’t remember where. I thought it was in 狐笛のかなた, but I can’t find it there, so I guess I’m misremembering.

It seems like 恐るる specifically is used in some common phrases, like 恐るるに足りない here and 恐るるなかれ, since they both have dictionary entries in J-E dictionaries. I can’t imagine you’ll see it very often outside of these set phrases, unless you decide to peruse some actual classical Japanese literature.

6 Likes

It’s a survival from Classical Japanese; @seanblue has given the rule for it, but it’s complicated because the classical verb and the modern verb aren’t necessarily identical. This stackexchange question says that the verb 恐れる (おそれる; to fear) in modern Japanese was 恐る (おそる) in classical Japanese. So (since modern Japanese 連体形 is the same as the plain form) classical 恐るるに足らず is the same as modern 恐れるに足らない, but that doesn’t help as a general pattern for dealing with -るる necessarily.

(I notice them because (a) I don’t entirely understand them and (b) they’re practically the only situation where you get two る together, so they stand out…)

7 Likes

The site I linked to gives examples. One is 起く as the classical version of 起きる. This seems like a common pattern though, as it also gives 落つ instead of 落ちる and 懲る instead of 懲りる. (恨む stayed 恨む for some reason though. :sweat_smile:) It makes me wonder how these drifted to the modern version considering the modern version isn’t a direct conjunction of the classical version. Maybe it shifted to the 連用形 + る, but I’m just speculating that since at least it matches for many of them.

4 Likes

Wow, quite interesting. Thanks a lot for the explanations!

2 Likes

There is wolf I guess, but not a whole lot of spice so far in the book :japanese_goblin:

6 Likes

I’ve had it on my todo list to ask a question about this chapter for a while. Better late than never!

So Holo is hungover and the waitress goes 「うん……確かに。ま、少し休んでいくといい。自分のところの宿にたどり着かなかった口だろう?」ロレンスがうなずくと、わっはっは、と店主は笑いながらカウンターに戻っていったのだった。

I’ve read this over and over and I’m still not sure I get it. I looked up 口 and I think it might be 「物事を分類したときの、同じ種類に入るものの一つ。また、その種類。たぐい。」(which is not a meaning I was aware of). Is that right? Is she asking “Is it the kind (of hangover) where you didn’t make it to your own inn?” Or something?

3 Likes

I’m not sure either, I managed to read straight past this, probably because the rest of the sentence meaning seemed clear to me… The overall sense is that the innkeeper is (correctly) guessing that they’ve dropped in here because they couldn’t manage the walk back to the place where they’re staying. I hadn’t encountered that meaning of 口 before either, but I agree that it looks like this is the “kind/sort/type” sense. I slightly feel like it’s more referring to “kind of situation” rather than “kind of hangover”, though.

Incidentally, I read the innkeeper as male from their speech style, though it doesn’t I think explicitly say either way.

4 Likes

Ha you’re probably right about this!
Thanks for your input, glad we mostly agree.

3 Likes