涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

Part of me really wants to follow along with this one. I haven’t seen the anime but I’ve been curious about it and it would help to have something every week to work on. At the same time, I worry about committing to anything because my focus tends to be incredibly poor :neutral_face:

2 Likes

That’s the beauty of committing when you have short focus span. You force yourself to focus otherwise the crabigators will hunt you. It works :smile:

2 Likes

The problem is that I can’t really…read books. It’s not a language problem, just quite a bad focus issue :sweat: I can get myself to focus if I’m doing textbook readings for class but anything else seems to go like whoooosh. I love reading in general and reading in Japanese specifically but I keep getting in my own way. But maybe if I take it just one page at a time it will go better. How many pages a day is it? (sorry if this has already been stated. It’s kinda hard for me to scroll up through the thread atm)

3 Likes

Usually about 15 pages per week, so two per day. :slight_smile:
(Also you can click on the thread title to scroll up automatically)

3 Likes

Ok I can give it a shot. I didn’t know that about the thread title thing. Thanks for the tip! The forums lag like crazy for me rn so I can use all the help I can get.

Edit: one of the illustrations in the beginning makes me quite uncomfortable. I may have to end up passing on this one. Maybe another time though :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Me as well, I was invited to a conference, and it’s all day… I may not get to try reading at all today.

1 Like

Same. But I’m just going to pretend it’s not there and hope it has no relevance to the main text.

3 Likes

Okay… If you and @riya want answers… I don’t have my book with me but I’ll hide it…

Spoilers

If it’s the image of Haruhi groping Mikuru from behind like I think it might be, yes, it happens in the story. Haruhi gets excited. In the anime she does this more than once… Can’t remember if it happens often in the books or not.

So … If that changes things. Not a main point of the story…

1 Like
not any spoilers, just a bit of a touchy subject

This is a trope I’ve seen in some anime stuff and honestly, it almost always makes me drop a series immediately. I’m very sensitive to anything presenting sexual assault as a joke. I feel like it gets swept aside like “oh it’s fine if it’s a girl doing it” or it’s a joke about how “shy” the other person is. Even if it’s not a big part of the story, it makes me concerned, unless they actually address it in some way?

6 Likes

I’m actually super with you on this, but am able to look past it sometimes (because it’s so very pervasive), and this was one of those times when I initially watched the series.
Nothing I can really say to defend it. The situation set up sort of makes sense, and it’s part of a whole thing where they’re setting up Haruhi intentionally creating anime tropes, but it didn’t need to be done.
I can only say that a work can be good even while being problematic, but that everyone’s threshold is different.
Sometimes I feel like watching any anime/reading any light novel is an exercise in finding the value in problematic works. Oh well.

6 Likes

That’s not the case, though. Among stuff I’ve read recently, 紅霞後宮物語 barely contains anything problematic and when it does, the situation is properly addressed by the main character. 放浪息子, as far as I have seen, is talking about a touchy subject in a very skillful way.

I’m sure the long list of other manga/LN that are also fine is just slipping my mind at the moment.
(Well, I think 獣の奏者 was fine too, but I read it a while ago, so I’m not completely sure)

1 Like

Yeah, I was being hyperbolic. It can be tricky though, especially in some of the genres I enjoy.
It’s not that different from trying to watch some of the most memorable 80s movies again though.
Or watching literally any American sitcom older than 10 years if you don’t want a ton of homophobia >_>

4 Likes

From the anime, I don’t remember any issues. But to be fair, it’s not a light novel.

1 Like

Yeah I entirely agree. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying a piece of media and disagreeing with aspects of it. And I don’t think it’s beneficial to cut out content with anything objectionable. It’s just that my threshold when it comes to this topic in particular is quite low compared to most, I think.

Yeeeep. My former roommate used to watch a lot of Friends and oof did some stuff in that not age well. I find it jarring even going back to podcasts and such from 2010 and what used to be acceptable.

5 Likes
Spoiler-ish Reply for Riya and others re: 'that picture'

It’s definitely not taken as a joke by some of the characters… Kyon, the narrator, especially sticks up for Mikuru and gets angry at Haruhi over it.

So, I’d say it gets kind of half-dealt with? : /

Not the most satisfying answer for you, probably.

So, it’s up to you whether you continue reading, or not.

3 Likes

Also, can I say… I wish we didn’t have separate week threads? I probably missed a lot already.

We just started today though, so it seems pretty unlikely that you missed much yet :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Weekly threads are much better for catching up and keeping discussion focused. Besides, you know a new thread is created every Friday/Saturday (depending on your time zone), so why not just check once a week and then track/watch the topic..?

2 Likes

I have to remember to do that… speaking of which, I haven’t set the weekly thread to tracking yet. (I have threads I visit for more than 10 minutes set to watching automatically… at least, back when I could pick how long I’d been in the thread for. Don’t know if that’s still a thing, since Discourse likes to take away cool toys.)

EDIT: I had that backwards. Watching… anyway…

1 Like

There was maybe going to be a reading aloud voice chat for Haruhi next weekend. I’d like to try it, at least. Anybody else interested?

• Yes, if I had time
  • I’d like to host
  • I’d (try to) read
  • I’d listen
  • Maybe
  • No
  • Other (post about it please)
0 voters