氷菓: Week 2 Discussion

Ohhhh. I had not noticed that! I was too blinded by all the kanji. It actually makes sense now, thanks.

I…uh… :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

Says the school regulation in Japan? (Well for public schools at least).
One could argue that it’s a work of fiction, so anything could go, though. Still, without further context, I would just assume he is talking about the rules.

2 Likes

Heh, 闖. Don’t think I’ve seen that one before. Is there anything they won’t put inside a gate radical? A second, smaller gate, maybe?

Also, 出歯亀? Why’s “overbite turtle” mean “peeping tom”? Why’s “peeping tom” mean “peeping tom”, for that matter?

2 Likes

This 日本語の森 video came up in my subscriptions this morning:

I didn’t watch it right away, but an hour later I saw をよそに in the last few lines of page 21. I love when this kind of thing happens! Probably won’t be forgetting this anytime soon.

4 Likes

Double reply, oh no!

ジョークは即興に限る, 禍根を残せば嘘になる

I’m having trouble parsing Satoshi’s motto. The best I can come up with is “if you tell jokes without consideration for the future, they become lies”, but I’m very uncertain about that. It seems obvious that に限る is behaving like a conjunctive, because the second chunk doesn’t make sense on its own.

How did everyone else interpret this?

Edit: ok, I looked into this a bit more tonight, actually found some native Japanese people having trouble with it too :sweat_smile:

I guess it’s something to the effect of…it’s only a joke if people can immediately understand that you’re joking; otherwise it might as well be a lie (because you could inadvertently cause some trouble down the line).

4 Likes

Otherwise it is a lie. A more direct translation could also be “it becomes a lie”, but I feel that in English “is” is more natural in this situation.

4 Likes

I asked some coworkers at my school about it and they were mystified. お勉強になりましたってw

1 Like