止まる、止める and the 止まれ stop sign

Just a two questions for these three words.

Firstly, is 止まれ derived from 止まる? Or is it a totally different word? If it is from 止まる, why is it used on the stop sign? I’m kinda confused because you want the driver to stop the car which in this case, shoudln’t you should use 止める since it’s a transitive verb?

Secondly for 止める, since it is a transitive verb, can I use it for example if I say " The phone stopped the app"

Yes, it’s the command form. Basically the strongest way to tell someone to do something :slight_smile:

And I think if you imagine an angry police man yelling “STOP!” they’re basically saying that you should stop, not that you should stop your car (even though that will likely be required if you happen to be in one) :slight_smile:

6 Likes

How about an angry red sign yelling stop?

STOP_sign

This is exactly the same as the Japanese usage, it’s just that in English, the imperative form doesn’t look any different than the dictionary form.

I’m… reasonably confident this is not the correct verb to use in this particular context, but the grammar is correct. “The A stopped the B” is AはBを止める.

3 Likes

2 Likes

止まってくれませんか? :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about この音止まれ?

Yeah, maybe it’s as simple as that.

The cop analogy may have been a bit roundabout. come to think of it :slight_smile:

I guess that’s where the command form took me!

Have you studied any grammar and learned about verb forms? This is just a case of plain old verb conjugation/inflection/insert whatever phrase x grammar resources likes.

No, that’s just ラウンドアバウト, or 環状交差点 if you want to be fancy. It’s a different traffic feature altogether. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.