正まれ Meaning

While looking on Pinterest, I’ve encountered this wallpaper and the writing on the road got my attention, mainly because I’ve just learned the Kanji for Correct - 正 and I do not know how it fits into the context, on the street I mean :japanese_ogre:. I’ve tried to look after the meaning on Google, but it gives me only the meaning of Justified…and I simply cannot understand how does it fit into the context. Also tried to look into the upcoming vocabulary and could’t find it either.
Can somebody please enlight me? I give candies :japanese_ogre::disguised_face::upside_down_face:
ありがとうございます

1 Like

It’s 止まれ (stop, from the verb 止まる), not 正

15 Likes

Waaa, basically I was confused because I knew the radical for To Stop and…dunno what happened next in my head. Thank you friend

2 Likes

Pretty picture! (I read your title as 止まれ meaning :joy:)

2 Likes

13 Likes

The kanji for stop 止 origin is a depiction of footprints (see the bone oracle and other ancient versions):
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 16.54.19
The story of the 正 kanji is also very interesting:

Together they showed an army advancing into a town to conquer. In the bronze ware style writing (9), the town wall became a big dot above a foot. In both (8) and (9), the writing meant “just” because a conqueror was always just. Hmm… It makes one pause a little, doesn’t it. 5 The History of the Kanji 止, 歩, 正, and 政 from a Footprint | KANJI PORTRAITS

4 Likes

Well guys…I guess it’s pretty obvious that I’m at that stage were I try to fit absolutely everything as fast as I can, and I mix kanjis with radicals or vocabulary and I fail miserably. I already feel dumb for starting this thread. Thanks for the support :japanese_ogre::hugs:

1 Like

it isn’t dumb because now you will forever associate that being correct is just one stop away :smile:

3 Likes

Is there some set up for why she reads it まるまれ? It just seems random when looking at the individual page.

1 Like

Because she’s five and can’t read kanji. :slightly_smiling_face:

(But yeah, I dunno why she picks まる in particular. The context doesn’t help.)

4 Likes

I don’t know from which volume/page was this taken from. But knowing よつば is just random, but random in the way children look at things very differently than us. In the first volume, she is looking at a swing in a park and wondering how it works; when her father asks her to be polite with the neighbors, she requests ice cream; when she sees a man ringing a doorbell, she is amused that it makes a noise and someone comes out so then she keeps pressing the doorbell of some random house, etc…

1 Like

I did not know the verb まるまる since its’ imperative form is 丸まれ, the last frame became hilarious (at least for me now)

2 Likes

Ah, so more because it sets up the final panel than that she had a reason for it before that point.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.