極主夫道 | Week 3 Discussion

I’d guess it’s more the other way around - やつ isn’t a very respectful way of referring to people.

But in general Japanese deals with people and referring to them a bit differently to English when it comes to respect - it appears to me like respectful language in referring to people deals with direction more than personification (方, そちら, etc.), so maybe “depersonification” (that’s a word now) doesn’t carry quite the same connotations in Japanese as it would in English.

5 Likes

Holidays delights derailed my Japanese reading in a big way, catching up a little.

Chapter 5 translation

嫁はデザイナー
My wife is a designer
バリバリのキャリアウーマン
Working hard on her career
そして俺は見ての通り。。。
As you can see I finally…
イベント情報
Events and news // The sign on the shelf
専業主夫
Full-time househusband
「俺の妹はどうかしてるぜ」。。。?
“My little sister is crazy!” …?
どういう事や。。。
What is this stuff?
ヤクザ。。。?
Yakuza?
声は出すな
Do not make a sound
目線も外す
And don’t look at me!!
「クライムキャッチポリキュア*」のブルーレイBOXはあるか?
Do you have “Crime Catch Polycure” on bluray?
ポリ。。。
Poly…
ええもちろん在庫も十分にございます
Of course, we have plenty in stock.
あちなみにポリキュアのブルーレイという事ですが第何期のものでしょうか?
By the way, about this Polycure bluray you’ve mentioned, which season do you mean?
と言うのもですねこちらのブルーレイBOXは三種類ございましてその中でも
Because, regarding this bluray, there are three editions, however…
// Skipping the next panel altogether
金ならあるとっととブツを用意してくれ!
I have the money, give me the stuff right away!
袋はこちらで用意する
Let me bag it for you.
あとポイントカード作れるか?
Do you have a reward card?
そしてきょうは。。。
The same day…
ふいー 疲れた
Huh, I’m so tired
びっくりし。。。何
Oh my gosh, what?
何してんの
What’s going on?
どうぞ
Please, go in!
何なんだ 何じゃこれ!?
What? What’s all this!?

Hanging scrolls:
寿 congratulations
春日大明神 Kasuga Daimyoujin
天照皇大神 Sun Goddess; Amaterasu Ōmikami
八幡大菩薩 Hachiman Daibosatsu

68。
ハッピバースデートゥーユー。。。
Happy birthday to you…
ディア美久
Dear Miku

Her face (not speech)
これ何?
What’s this?
あとこれ。。。納めてくれ!
Here, for you
え何プレゼント!?
What? A present?
開けていい!?
Can I open it?
え!!これってポリキュアじゃん!!
Wow, this is Polycure!
うそ!買いに行ってくれたの!?
No way! You went out and bought it!
ふふ ありがとう 嬉しいよ
Ah, thank you! I’m so happy
あ あとまぁその。。。ほんとこれ全然いいんだけど。。。
Oh, wow, this is so great…however
これ持ってるやつだわ
I’ve already have this one
けじめぇぇ
I must take responsibility for my mistake! (short of けじめを付ける)

4 Likes

This is essentially Miku’s inner monologue expressing her… I’m not sure what the word is actually, shock, maybe? at Tatsu’s face (the one in the previous panel). You can imagine she’s thinking something like 顔怖い but the 怖い part is left implied (and could be anything, really - but from her own expression it’s clear she’s not exactly thinking how pretty he looks :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

And you may have meant it this way in the first place, but

全然いい is something more along the lines of “it’s alright”, so she’s more or less saying “it’s completely okay, but… [I already have this one]” - she’s telling him not to worry about giving her something she already had.

6 Likes

Oh no, it’s even more cruel :slight_smile: She made a grave mistake. Whenever you’re gifted a thing you’ve already have, you just take it and never let it slip about the duplicate (especially during holidays)

Thanks for your comments!

3 Likes
Chapter 6 translation, had to improvise a lot

はいもしもし
Hello? (on the phone)
何?会長が来る?
What? The president is coming?
時間は。。。
When?
会長が来るお前にひと仕事やってもらう
The president is coming, so I’ll give you a task that humans do
えらい腕を買われとるみたいやけど。。。
I’ll be watching you to see if you are worth it…
俺はまだ認めてへんぞ
Because I still do not recognize you (as equal)!
やれんのか?
Can’t do it? // Perhaps: “Want to give up?”
そっちのシマはお前に任せたぞ
I’ll leave this territory to you
もっと角ん所カチコまんかい!!
?? Spend more time in corners! (Guessing from the context)
ここら辺は一番ゴミどもが集まっとるんや
This is the area which collects the most of the trash!
イモひいてんちょうぞ!!
?? Don’t cheat!
こういう場所は棒状の物に布を巻きつけてやなすき間とかケーブルの。。。
For such places, [use] a pole wrapped in cloth to clean gaps and cables…
所詮は美久が義理事(結婚式)でもうてきた素人やの
??? After all, Miku got you as a wedding present, you amateur!
主夫舐めとったらあかんぞ
You think househusband is good for nothing!!
// Last two sentences are complete bluff, even after reading the thread discussion
82。
俺はプロや
I’m a pro!
たとえ血でも
Even if it’s blood or something
足あと指紋
footprints, fingerprints
どんな痕跡もキレイに
Any traces are cleaned
もう
What the hell! (to cat)
あっち行っとき!!
Go away!
この辺ですよ会長!
This way, please, Madam President!
一度お会いしてみてかったのよ
I wanted to meet him for a while.
婦人会 会長 President of Women’s assosiation
ここです
It’s here
龍さんの部屋からよ!!
(The noise is coming) from Mr. Tatsu’s apartment!
どしたの龍さん!?
What’s going on, Mr.Tatsu?
すんまへん会長。。。
I’m sorry, Madam President
ヘタこきましたわ。。。
I screwed up…
ちょ。。。ちょっと何がどしーたの 大丈夫!?
Wh-what happened? Are you ok?
いやぁね。。。
It’s nothing
生意気なわかいのが入ってきたもんで。。。
This cheeky bastard broke in…
// The last panel - the happy roomba docks itself at the charging home :slight_smile:

I think roomba gets blamed unfairly - it’s obviously a cat’s fault!

Kanji not in WK:
詮 discussion
舐 lick, taste, underrate, despise
痕 mark, foot print

3 Likes

I realise I’m doing this every time but I never even asked if you want me to. If you’d prefer I knock off the feedback and just leave you be, be sure to tell me!

Feedback if you want it

There’s no お before 前 - so this is just 会長来る前に as an indication of time, not お前に as the “actor” for もらう. The actor here is ひと, so I’d translate this as “Before the president comes, I’ll have someone do a job for me” I was wrong, see NicoleRauch’s comment below

買われとる is the progressive passive, so “to be thought of highly”, みたい indicates that this is hearsay basically, so this is something along the lines of “seems your skills are highly regarded, but…”

This is a continuation of the previous, so not really “because” - he’s just saying that despite what later turns out to be the Roomba being highly praised, he doesn’t yet buy it and he needs to assess it for himself.

I think this is more the Japanese “softer” way of asking a question by asking for the reverse instead (similar to “won’t you …” as a request in English). So not so much “Want to give up?” as “will you be able to do it, I wonder?”

Same as above in terms of the question. カチコまん is 勝ち込まない. I’m not 100% clear on what nuances 込む can convey as an auxiliary verb, but it sort of seems to “intensify” the preceding verb. So he’s asking something like “You won’t conquer the corners!?”

That’s ちゃう, not ちょう. イモひいてん is イモを引いてない イモを引く means something along the lines of being a coward, so I think he’s saying something like “I’m not a coward [like the Roomba]” (while brandishing his katana of doom dust collection +5)

I think the whole phrase 美久が義理事(結婚式)でもうてきた is just a descriptor for 素人, and やの is kansai-ese for だね.

This “after all” isn’t so much the explanatory “after all” you see in English, but more the kind of “after all” that means “in conclusion” or “when all is said and done”. From a monolingual dictionary:

望ましくはないが、結論として最後にはそこに行きつくさま。結局は。つまるところは。どのようにしても。

So I’d translate this as “So you’re just some amateur Miku got as a wedding gift after all”

あかん is basically kansai-ben for ダメ, which makes this into 主夫なめていったらダメよ in standard Japanese, which in turn is just the standard [conditional] + だめ construction meaning “you must not …”, so this is just “Dont look down on househusbands!”

I think this is more like “a brazen kid joined” - as if he’s talking about some young idiot joining the gang (and messing up because he’s new to the game and just an idiot kid). 生意気 refers specifically to someone acting beyond their years or abilities:

自分の能力や年齢をわきまえずに出すぎた言動をすること。

7 Likes

Well, not sure whether you’d like feedback either :sweat_smile:

but here is some if you like

The word here is ひと仕事 - Jisho.org - “Before the president comes, I need you to do this”

8 Likes

I would very much like feedback, yes :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Thanks!

6 Likes

I appreciate it very much! I said it once on the very first translation that I’m a novice reader with low grammar and low vocab knowledge (my WK level is no way indication of my overall Japanese level) and basically asking for feedback and corrections if anyone is kind enough to take their time to do so.

I feel a bit bad/sad at the moment that I’ve fallen behind the club schedule, but I really want to add “the whole manga volume read in Japanese” badge to my belt, so I’ll persevere and not skip chapters.

So thank you again for your feedback!

8 Likes

The scene with the banners made me laugh so hard. I believe it’s supposed to mimic a formal meeting of yakuza bosses, but I don’t know enough about the specifics of such gatherings to know how deep the joke goes. The sake-drinking is definitely a ceremonial act at such banquets (though of course it’s also nice to toast the birthday girl).

Thanks to the person who deciphered the banners, I didn’t have the patience to work through them either!

(Edit - I see someone did comment on the yakuza scene above, I missed that while I was trying to look away from spoilers for the roomba scene since I hadn’t read it yet.)

7 Likes

The use of は instead of が with あるか on page 64 has me wondering if I’ve been using the wrong particle when asking if a shop has something lol… rip

Ha, the way Tatsu cuts the guy off makes me envious. I’m like, please tell just yes/no lol

I’m loving the ritualistic display of a birthday party

Onto cleaning, wrapping a stick or disposable chopsticks in a gauzy cleaning cloth seems to be a popular way to clean corners, nooks, and crannies. I love the change of having Tatsu use his sword for it

I love the cat

7 Likes

I don’t think it matters much, as deep as the は vs が debate gets sometimes in this case I feel it’s mostly a matter of emphasis. I’d have picked が as well, to put emphasis on the thing you’re asking for as opposed to the question of whether they have it or not, but both make sense to me.

3 Likes

I’ve also noticed that when someone’s expression doesn’t match what they’re saying, etc. (like Tatsu here, singing her Happy Birthday with a super intense/scary expression), a person will say/think “顔!”

4 Likes