本好きの下剋上: Volume 2, Week 7 discussion

Join the Advanced Book Club here!

本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 17

Start Date: December 4th
Previous week: Week 16
Next week: Week 18

Reading:

Chapters 15-16 (髪飾りの納品, 冬の手仕事) (39 pages/ 10%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

3 Likes
Chapter 15 comment

I like that マイン learned that the price “drop” she made on the deal with Frida / ギルド長 could have serious consequences for sellers of luxury items on the market. She could’ve messed up the system by having prices all over the place :joy: Now it makes more sense why Benon was so angry, other than missing out on the extra money.

Random thoughts: I wonder how she is perceived by Benon. It’s not until he tells her that the stuff she has made is actually expensive luxury items so she should treat them accordingly regarding their value. Her knowledge doesn’t match up with life in this world so she takes those items for granted because she’s so used to them. Benon probably be like "what’s up with this kid? Already secretly accustomed to luxury? :eyes: nani o: "

Like she said to ルッツ they have to get used to the business perspective of things soon.

2 Likes

Well, he was already wondering about her before when they had a lunch meeting and was surprised she had table manners. Like, where the frick did she learn that.

2 Likes

oh true, I forgot about that one :joy: he must be so confused

2 Likes
This week stuff

I liked it when she brought money home and her family was surprised. I wonder how Lutz’s family reacted. Since they hate merchants would they say it’s dirty money and reject it or just the money but still hate them. I like the interaction between Lutz and Mayne. I found it funny when Mayne said she made her bag then Beno remembered what that has caused.

Funny details this is probably the book I can read the most page without thinking about it. Maybe it’s the length of the chapter that is good for me of the level of language but I can easily get absorbed by it without having to look at how many pages left to read. If the chapters are too short and since I like finishing on a chapter it’s always making me look at how many I have read and how much more I want to read.

3 Likes

They hate merchants? o: I thought it was just that his parents were not supportive of the idea of him becoming one :eyes: :sweat_drops: Especially the part with long distance travelling.

4 Likes

They just think it’s a dishonest way to live and are disappointed that Lutz doesn’t want to follow in his father’s footsteps.

4 Likes

I’m reading this months after the book club has concluded, but I figured I’d put the occasional question or thought on these threads once in a while until I get caught up enough to use the general volume 4+ discussion thread. :sweat_smile: Here’s a random question:

Chapter 16 Question

When Benno is working out the selling price/commission for the 髪飾り, he says:

冬の手仕事なんて、俺達商人が手数料を取って、裁縫や細工の工房の親方が手数料を取るんだから、実際に作るヤツの手に渡る金なんて、一つにつき中銅貨一枚でも恩の字だろ?

I had never seen 「恩の字」 before, so I looked it up, and according to this article , it’s a common misspelling of 「御の字」, an expression I am familiar with and which obviously fits this sentence perfectly.

So, I guess I’m just wondering why 「恩の字 」was used here. Was it an intentional mistake/colloquialism? It’s a dialogue sentence, and when spoken aloud the two sound identical, so Myne wouldn’t notice anything, but as a reader, should this color our impression of Benno’s statement somehow? I completely understand what the sentence means, I guess I’m just looking for some opinions.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s just a misspelling and doesn’t have any special significance. He’s fairly matter-of-factly saying they’d be quite happy getting even a middle copper.

2 Likes

Wow, I didn’t even know it was a misspelling! TIL I guess.
So, that’s a light novel, so I wouldn’t read too much into it. The author just made a mistake.

1 Like