本好きの下剋上 home thread

You should push until the end of the arc! I really liked it.

Nnngh… I want to, but I have so little free time these days. Plus I bought a speedreading practice book for Japanese recently, and I thought it might go a little smoother after I’ve done the exercises.

1 Like

“Next year” isn’t that far away you know!

1 Like

That’s a problem I can relate to… But who needs sleep anyway.

But “next year” spans a long period of time! It could be until December 25th 2021.

1 Like

I’ve been busy again and am quite behind on volume 2, but I will catch up eventually

4 Likes

Well, I had no internet for a few days, so I will post the new thread today. You have a couple more hours to catch up!

2 Likes

I am going to be busy for a while longer, so I am not even attempting to catch up yet

1 Like

Well, anyway, the new thread is here…
Meeting a new character!

3 Likes

I just finished volume 24 and can’t wait for volume 25 to come out in about 10 days or so.
Meanwhile, I thought I’d check 小説家になろう to see how close to the end of the story we are. I could confirm that this is the last arc, but there are about 10~15 volumes worth of content left.
Also, chapter titles are most of the time identical to the printed version. Needless to say, I got some major stuff just spoiled to me. :baka:
Do not look. At least I had guessed it would go that way, so I don’t feel too bad. But it seems it will only be part of the last volume or the one before last. It’s kinda sad to think there’s nothing beyond that.
Well, technically, looking at the other series by the same author, there’s one that focus on one of my favorite characters and takes place one year after the end of the series, so there’s that too.
Hmmmm, should I read ahead the web version, or wait…
There’s a new book every 3 months, so that means 30 more months… 2 years and a half??! AAAA

6 Likes

On one hand, if you read the online version you can completely catch up. But this means that you’ll eventually be waiting chapter by chapter, which sounds terrible. On the other hand, if you stick with the volumes, you can nicely enjoy four volumes a year, while making time for other books. :slight_smile:

Ah, no, the story is over, so there’s no more waiting involved :wink:

1 Like

Just blitzed through the first of this week’s two chapters and thought I should probably mention in the home thread: I think at the end of this book (not this arc as I originally planned) is when I’ll start reading at my own pace.

4 Likes

Oh, I see. I misread your post. I thought “10-15 volumes worth of content left” was some announcement saying how much was left to write, not how much was already written. Looks like this will be a long arc. Somewhere between 13 and 18 volumes, based on your estimate.

It is good to hear that the story is finished though, assuming the author decided to wrap up the series on their own terms. Reading an ongoing series for years or even decades can be such a hassle sometimes.

At my modest reading pace, and considering that I want to read other things too, the chances of me catching up in 2021 is 0%. Even assuming I get faster, I’m sure I’ll want to take breaks from time to time, so I doubt I’ll even catch up in 2022, unless I become Naphthalene-level obsessed. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yes, basically each arc is longer than the previous one… That last one is going to take one third of the whole series…

I do get randomly obsessed with things… Still, it makes sense to me that this series won so many awards. While I did have fun reading other light novels, there were always stuff I could not stand, mostly fan service and the lack of people successfully getting in a relationship. In this series, actions have a lot of consequences,[Spoilers; can be safely read after the epilogue of volume 7] people die, people get together (and have babies!), books are made… basically, everything feels very satisfying to me. I wish I could find more series like that.
… At the same time, finding those would probably erase my social life, so maybe not right now. Hopefully, I’ll now have the time to enjoy other books.
I do have the tab of the web version still open, though

2 Likes

(You’re still saying too much outside of spoiler tags by the way, like people die. Come on now…)

3 Likes

But you don’t know anything about it. I don’t think it counts as a spoiler and it’s a good example of what I like in the series.
But fine, I’ll spoiler tag it.

In my opinion that’s a major spoiler, even without giving details. It’s not a given that something like that would ever happen in this series, so just mentioning it is a big deal to me.

4 Likes

I see. Sorry about that then :frowning:
Thinking back, it is not a given indeed, but not having that would remove a lot of value to the series. Well, from my point of view, at least; I always get annoyed when an author magically avoids that situation. Same for the second now-blurred point in the list.

1 Like

(I am glad to have arrived to this thread after the blurring–thanks seanblue for asking and naphthalene for editing!)

Just finished volume three today! Not sure when I’ll start volume four, but I’m looking forward to it. <3 I did struggle at the end, because although I like the side stories, I don’t like them as much as the main story, and this time my kindle reported that they took up 25% of the book… but finally I got through them (and they were good, just… yes).

Ah, @Naphthalene, what are the arcs again, if you wouldn’t mind? I definitely do not want to spoil myself by googling. 1-3, 4-7…?

3 Likes

By the way, I just added when those can be unblurred safely (it’s a bit overshot; I do not remember exactly when some of those things happen).

I have the same feeling. Get ready for that to happen at the end of every arc, where those side stories take up to 33% of the whole damn book. At least, it doesn’t happen that often. While I do like them, the end of arcs always bring some major change to the plot (<- someone let me know if that counts as a spoiler; it sounds obvious to me but…), so I really want to know what happens next instead. At that point side stories make me go “yes thank you that’s cool and all but I just want to move on”.

Arc Volumes
1 1-3
2 4-7
3 8-12
4 13 - 21
5 22 - end (35+ by my estimate)
5 Likes