月刊少女野崎くん 🖌️ (Beginner Book Club) ・ Week 1

Thank you! I guess my first question would be: is there a standard reading pace I should be aiming for? Like x number of pages a day?

Or is it just up to each person?

4 Likes

Generally, each week we read a certain amount of pages (see the first post here and the first post of the home thread), but whether you read those as x pages a day, or all at the start or end, or any other way - that’s completely up to you.

And if you can’t (or don’t want to) keep up with the weekly schedule, that’s fine too. Usually some people will still answers questions that are posted months after the club is finished.

4 Likes

so super annoying trying to decipher page 16…but luckily had a native speaker help me… I swear I spent a long time on a kanji I couldn’t find because of this stupid font…haha

Anyway… I added more vocab to the sheet for that page mostly to clarify the impossible to read font! Hopefully that helps clear it up a bit… (have to thank a native speaker though, cuz I couldn’t figure it out without help!)

5 Likes

If anyone wants to check my work for Ch.1, Row 38, I wouldn’t mind!

結構「けっこう」has a lot of different meanings so I picked what I thought was the most likely in this context.

Also, I’m reading the digital copy so I don’t know what the physical page number is. Thanks everyone for your vocab notes! They are already so helpful.

In this font I’m really struggling to tell what is supposed to be “つ” instead of “っ” so my first read through in my head is going rough. But everyone’s vocab notes are helping me.

4 Likes

not sure why, but I really dislike this font. Somehow even the weird futuristic scribble, that’s the title of each page is more readable than this. It just all looks the same

3 Likes

still better than page 16 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes
Page 9

The text says “ほんとデリカシーないわね!!!”, or something like “You really have no tact!”.

4 Likes

the マンガ用語 page? To me that’s an upgrade, no furigana, but at least it’s readable. And の doesn’t look like an あ that was just robbed

3 Likes

maybe in your digital version…in the printed version tons of kanji can’t even make out 顔 is just a mess of scribbles… but heck if you can read it more power to you…:wink:

2 Likes
page 20

So the title of page 20 is foreshadowing the event on page 27. Interesting, this is the first time I am encountering such a thing.

4 Likes

Oh, weird! I didn’t have my book in front of me so I just assumed that strip went with that title. You’re right, it makes no sense! Very strange…

4 Likes

Thanks so much, that really helps!

4 Likes

How’s everyone liking the actual story itself so far?

I’m only to page 23 in the digital copy, but I’m a big fan of unrequited love and oblivious love interest tropes so I’m already enjoying the plot.

I’m excited to see how our heroine progresses through this volume!

5 Likes

I liked the first chapter and thought the second chapter was kinda okay. The bike joke got a bit old rather quickly.

I’m really looking forward to how it continues though, because if the manga is anything like the anime, what really shines are its characters - and we’re probably meeting some new ones over the next chapters!

5 Likes

So far it’s ok… I’m finding this seems to be a vocab nightmare! I’m used to vocab getting repeated and less ‘new’ stuff…but with this format lots and lots and lots of new vocab…

it’s ok… I think I prefer からかい上手の高木さん and 神様が間違える more…but I’ll keep going
cuz I started it

oh yeah have to get back to trying to catch up in シャドーハウス

7 Likes

I’m starting a bit later, but hope to catch up by next week or so. I’ve read a couple of chapters of this one in english, so curious to see how it will go in JP!

8 Likes

Aaaahhhh my copy finally got here, I’m hurrying to catch up!

10 Likes

Im just joining in late, trying to catch up! On pg 7 is "付き合ってくださいって言わなきゃっ!” meant to mean “I have to say, please go out with me!”

3 Likes

Yeppers, a good ol’ love confession ^^

5 Likes

Thank you :pray:

2 Likes