時をかける少女: Week 9 Discussion (Chapters 14 and 15)

Suuuuper bad quality photo of the one small illustration from Chapter 14:

The winter light is not helping :sweat_smile: if I manage to get a better version I’ll replace this later in the week.

2 Likes

I really recommend anyone to do that whenever it becomes doable. It’s much better for me to actually get explanations instead of just 2~3 English approximations. Plus, you often get example sentences, and you can actually trust them.

2 Likes

I know a few people have mentioned some, but which one’s your favourite?

1 Like

I use the デジタル大辞泉 (bought it on Microsoft Store). I usually find it easier to understand (and just better in general) than the スーパー大辞林. These are the only two I have any experience with :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Okay cool, I’ll give those a try, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m behind because I’ve been reading other stuff for the past week. I just wanted to stop in and say how happy I was that we still have so many people actively reading the book!

12 Likes

Biggest drop in “reading along” between week 1 and 2 (which makes sense), second biggest when we moved from 5 pages a week to 10 pages a week (which also makes sense).
Very little change since then (if we ignore a small expected decay). :tada:

7 Likes

Yeah I think this has been one of the best readership curves ever! We even managed to go up, some weeks :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Starting early~ again… :eyes:

Kadokawa Page 72

母はおそらく、とっくに和子が寝たと思っているだろうから、帰ってきた和子を見たら、びっくりして、貧血を起こしてしまうかもしれないのだ。

“Her mum probably thought Kazuko had gone to bed so if she saw her coming home she would be surprised and would probably (faint?)”. Why 貧血??? This 貧血 situation is getting out of control.

Page 74

和子は、えたいの知れないあせりにおそわれた。

I think this would be written in kanji like this:

和子は、得体の知れない焦りに襲われた。,

meaning something like "Kazuko was attacked (overwhelmed) by the frustrating lack of ------

Apparently 得体が知れない means “strange, unfamiliar”… “Kazuko was overwhelmed (attacked) by an unfamiliar impatience”?

If I ever found myself not knowing the date and/or time the first thing I’d use is a calendar and/or clock, respectively :thinking:reads more oh, she does :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I know, right? She would probably have a heart attack knowing that Kazuko has been waiting for a boy all alone in the street (a few days back in the future).

焦り isn’t really impatience in that sense. It’s more like when you can’t seem to calm down. And more than unfamiliar, something like “that she couldn’t explain/understand/had never felt before”
(I mean, it’s basically what you said, but somehow the nuance feels different this way)

5 Likes

It’s like everyone’s red blood cells are set to terminate from shock :man_shrugging:

Thank you :blush: Bad translation are what occur when I try to use a monolingual dictionary then translate it into english :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

貧血を起こす is listed as separate entry in a German-Japanese dictionary I‘m using and means something like to faint, to get dizzy. Jisho doesn’t list that meaning, though, but it makes complete sense in this context.

4 Likes

Interesting it’s not listed in J-E or monolingual… Although I did just find this:

TL;DR:

目の前が暗くなったり、冷や汗が出たりすること。
頭がふらっとして、意識を失いそうになること。
そういう症状を一般に「貧血を起こす」と言いますね。

3 Likes

Right, I could have checked a monolingual dictionary as well :thinking: thanks for looking up the definition!

1 Like

There must be something like this for 風邪をひく too. I just can’t believe how easy it is to catch a cold in Japan.

I think that one is just a superstition.

貧血 seems to double as basically meaning your blood pressure dropping, though? Or used to, anyway. That’s all I can think. Because that does make you dizzy/faint. And is, in a way, 貧 血

3 Likes

Well there’s this which helps you self diagnose and this which helps you avoid it

1 Like

台所もおそらくジョウがおりているだろう。

What’s this ジョウ thingy?

和子の母は戸じまりにはうるさい。

Does this mean that her mom is sensitive to the sound of locking (it’s noisy to/for her)?

2 Likes

Do you know the pages, or are you reading a digital version?
I probably need to check the context to say anything about it :thinking:

If you can’t, it would help to say which of the two chapters those are in

No worries, I found it. Right in the beginning of chapter 14 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yep I’m reading an ebook, speaking of which…

I just realized that since I’m reading on my phone, I can take screenshots :sweat_smile:

screenshot of illustration

2 Likes