時をかける少女: Week 6 Discussion (Chapters 8 and 9)

不審 = suspicious

地団駄を踏む = to stamp one’s feet (in frustration, impatience, etc.)

4 Likes

Thank you!~ Classic case of selective reading on that first one >.<

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s really interesting! I’ve never ever read or heard anything about that and that slightly concerns me. But it’s a good connection to understand.

Thank you for that, learn something new every day I guess :wink:

2 Likes

I originally thought the truck crashed into the storefront, so was that not the case then? I also assumed that the middle aged man got injured from the truck crashing into the storefront, but was that just from the broken glass then? Or perhaps the woman crashed into him?

Mostly double checking because @QuackingShoe said “You guys are on track with everything” shortly after you posted and I wasn’t sure if your thoughts were included in that.

4 Likes

No, you’re right. Sorry, I missed that part - I was reading through pretty quickly and was actually expecting a different part to be wrong - and it wasn’t - so I ended up glossing over that bit.

3 Likes

Phew, thank you! I feel better now. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Some additional questions about chapter 9.

Page 54:
教室で彼女の隣の席にかけることの多い神谷真理子がやってきた。

What’s the 多い here? 真理子 frequently sits next to 和子?

Page 56:
かれは和子の前に立っと鼻息を荒くしながらいった。

What is 立っと?

トラックは五郎の目の前を通り過ぎ、不格好に車体を震わせ、激しい勢いで歩道に飛び上がった。

So I get that the truck jumped up onto the sidewalk after passing before Gorou’s eyes. But what is the middle part specifically saying?

1 Like

Originally it would be かけることが多い, but since in modifying clauses が can usually be replaced with の that’s the language magic that happened there. It just means 真理子 seats a lot beside her.

Are you sure it’s not 立つと?

4 Likes

Yes. Her かけることの(が)多い

It’s 立つと. He just did the one thing and then the other.

That the chassis is quaking uncomfortably

@sigolino !!!
shakes fist

4 Likes

I admit I rushed to finish before you when I saw you typing :joy: Didn’t even finish though

4 Likes

I’m happy to say this is the silliest rivalry I’ve ever been a part of.

4 Likes

:joy: Thanks

(I think I subconsciously wanted it to be 立って…)

2 Likes

Happens to the best of us :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I saw the pair of you typing and didn’t even bother! :joy:

11 Likes

I wish I had the edition with more kanji in it. 不格好 激しい 飛び are all in kana in my book.

3 Likes

I’m so happy to be a benefactor of your rivalry :joy_cat:

2 Likes

Sorry to tell you that there is no version with more kanji… I think this is just seanblue ('s keyboard) writing the kanji while typing.
(Happens to me all the time, and I always need to double-check and revert back to kana where the book doesn’t have kanji :sob:)
The only difference to the other edition is the 99% absence of furigana.

2 Likes

Oh, I see! So the bus hits the young woman and pushes her aside, and finally (最後に) the truck hits the storefront - not the woman.

This makes so much more sense, thank you for catching it!

4 Likes

そうか?なるほど・・・

1 Like

I’m actually writing it with kanji on purpose, for better or worse. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes