時をかける少女: Week 6 Discussion (Chapters 8 and 9)

It’s Kazuko, yes. This is following from Gorou saying she doesn’t need to worry, because he believes her now. She’s saying that if she goes back to yesterday or today noonish, no matter how much she explains, he won’t believe. はず because she already knows that’s true as they all just lived through it.

She didn’t feel like laughing at his confusion.

Yes

2 Likes

But the text says ぐあいのいい. Is it the same thing since it’s not 都合?

Wow, I did not get that at all. Now that you’ve explained it it makes sense, but still. :sweat_smile:

Literally or figuratively? As in, if she jumps back again (as she worries about more later) or simply looking back on yesterday or today noon-ish, he didn’t believe her.

Thanks as always!

blinks several times
You’re right! That’s funny. I automatically read it 都合 every time in your post because I’m more used to that. But yeah, same idea.

I was imagining she meant it literally, but I’m not 100% on that.

Edit: picked up the book again. Nevermind. I’m 100% on it :wink:

1 Like

I just finished chapter 8 and oh god I see where this is going.

1 Like

Wait until you finish 9!

4 Likes

I am enjoying the interplay between the various friends and classmates in this story.

I have a grammar question from p48 Kadokawa (first page of Ch 9)
It’s from the end of the long sentence which starts まさか、もうすぐ… and finishes とてもいえたものじゃないわ。 I understand she’s making the point that she can’t say why she’s standing there (or everyone will think she’s gone crazy) but I don’t understand why it’s いえた and not いえる. Especially given she’s talking about current circumstances not something in the past.
よろしく…

Just for emphasis: 〜たものではない

5 Likes

I finished reading the chapters and wow,
I did not expect that. Stuff like that happening seems to be a trend with stuff I’ve watched/read recently… Though I feel like I can see a possible way to fix stuff in this book. Guess I’ll find out next chapter

3 Likes

It’s interesting to know that sudden tonal shifts aren’t a recent Japanese thing.
:wink:

2 Likes

I also finished chapter 9, and while I think I got the gist, I would like to double-check my understanding of the truck action scene…
So Kazuko manages to stop Gorou right after he had stepped onto the street, and he can jump back onto the pavement (歩道へとびのいた).
The truck also drives onto the pavement (歩道にとびあがった).
Passers-by scream and their voices reverberate in the neighbourhood (あたりにひびきわたった).
The truck hits something like a cylindrical trash can? (ごみ箱がわりのドラムかん) and it flies away, hitting a pedestrian in the upper body, who then collapses on a pile of stones? (石だたみ - where did these come from?).
As if that weren’t enough, the truck also hits a young woman and kicks her into a storefront (店さきにとびこんだ). The window glass breaks and is scattered everywhere.
Also, the truck’s front window breaks, the front gets demolished and the engine starts to smoke (煙をはきはじめた).

Just wow :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

石だたみ is referring to the stone pavement, I believe.

I had a couple sentences I wanted to clarify.

和子はよほどそういってやろうかと思った。 (page 56 Tsubasa)

Mostly I want to ensure I understand the nuance of this sentence. Kazuko very much wanted to say that (that being “I’m late because of you!”) But I want to make sure I fully understand anything that the volitional + と思った is adding. She was thinking of saying that? Something more? I know やる can sometimes make things sound like “Oh I’ll tell him”, so maybe the same thing here.

全身が血にまみれ、この世の人とは思えないすさまじい姿だった。 (page 58 Tsubasa)

The person’s entire body was covered in blood, a horrible figure that did not seem to be of this world (because it’s so horrific). Does that sound correct?

Good stuff, these chapters. :+1:

5 Likes

You guys are on track with everything.

ゴミ箱代わりのドラム缶 is a :oil_drum: being used as a :wastebasket:

12 Likes

That sounds like it’d hurt much more on impact D:

4 Likes

よほど=just about to
So I think she was just on the verge of deciding whether or not to say “It’s your fault” but realised she had bigger issues to think about.

3 Likes

Right so upon closer reading, I do have a few nuance questions:

Tsubasa p51:
でも、わたしだけそんな力があるなんて、いやだわ。
I get the general gist of it, she’s essentially saying that she doesn’t want to be the only one having/being affected by this power.
What I’m struggling with is the に particle. My guess is that it’s there to signify the affected by, rather than a conscious action by her, but I’m not too sure.

Tsubasa p53
とけいを見て、まだまにあいそうだ知ると、和子はいそいでしたくをし、昼食もそこそこに、家をとび出した。
I understand this sentence just fine, but I honestly do not know what the part in bold is doing. I feel like I’m just not looking at it the right way, but the したくをし is really tripping me up. I just wonder what the grammar behind this is.

I’ll probably have a few more questions when I tackle chapter 9 again in a bit as well, so thank you already for being so smart and helping out.

2 Likes

に is used because it’s… where? … the 力がある。Because in Japanese the structure is less “I have a power” and “a power exists in my possession”

The したく is 支度 which I think will clear things up for ya

4 Likes

That makes perfect sense now, thank you!

I knew I was looking at it wrong! I’m such an idiot :joy::joy: words that I learnt strictly as kanji and haven’t encountered a lot in just kana still trip me up :sweat_smile:

Thanks for that, helped heaps :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Relevant poll here:

3 Likes

Just in time for the next thread :confetti_ball: Thanks in advance (there’s quite a few…)
Kadokawa Page 44
いつのまにやってきたのか、和子のうしろに深町一夫も立っていて、静かにそういった。
I saw いつのまにか a bit ago and learnt that it meant “before one knows it”. Can you put any verb between に and か here? To me, from context, the first bit means “Before Kazuko knew Kazuo and come”. Is that right?

Page 45
和子は吾朗の混乱を、笑う気にはならなかった。
“Kazuko didn’t feel like laughing at Gorou’s confusion”? Not really getting anywhere with this one

Got it spot on :3

Page 48
…かの女に不番の目を投げかけて通り過ぎて行くことだった。
How did everyone interpret this? I think it’s something like “innumerable” gazes

Page 50
真理子の姿が見えなくなってから、和子は小さく地だんだをふんだ。
I assume that it’s something like kicking the ground but I don’t get the だんだ

My comment on the end of chapter: ouchy ouchy ouch that sounded like it’s hurt. I was expecting something like, Kazuko proves she went back in time because of the the fire and earthquake, Kazuko wakes up the next morning, goes to school all safe, “where’s Gorou…? Oh–” , precedes to run out of school to the crossing, is on other side of where Gorou is, lights turn green, Gorou runs, Kazuko be like “Noo, Gorouuuuuuuu”, truck be like “vrooooooom”, Gorou be like “:ghost:”, Kazuko be like “:scream:

Thanks to @QuackingShoe for explaining がみ箱がわりのドラムかん.

3 Likes

A little more info:

You probably know the pattern 「AはBがある」, A has B.
However, the basic pattern is really「AにBがある」.

It just so happens that when (something)に becomes the topic (something)には, に becomes optional.
That means that「AにはBがある」can become「AはBがある」.

This is different from when (something)が or (something)を become the topic (something)は because が and を always drop.

AはBにある
is (usually) the same as
AがBにある where A is the topic

AはBがある
is (usually) the same as
AにBがある where A is the topic

As you can see, the meaning of は is heavily dependent on context :grin:

6 Likes