時をかける少女: Week 10 Discussion (Chapters 16 and 17)

Some googling tells me this is essentially the same as しなければならない. I understand the first part, but where does the construction なるまい come from?

Edit: Nvm, found it.

2 Likes

Unless you’ve been living in Japan for a while and are conversationally fluent, probably best to avoid phrases like せねばなるまい. :laughing:

I’m sure @Naphthalene got a good laugh out of it though. :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, thanks. I always have so much trouble figuring out who the 自分 is referring to…

1 Like

Yeah I wasn’t planning to use it since I’ve never encountered it in conversation (don’t live in Japan but did have Japanese friends conversing around me lots in uni) but I just wanted to know what the heck it actually meant. Pretty sure I’ve heard it in anime lol.

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s required that you artificially lower your voice and act like you’re reading a scroll.

7 Likes

Now that you mention it, I could totally see that creepy church guy from Fate Zero saying that.

2 Likes

I usually go for the weirdly high pitched feudal lord speech, though.
Same when I say stuff like ”苦しゅうない、ちこう寄れ"

EDIT: cat+たまえcombo
tamae

うむ。くるしゅうない。ぞんぶんになでたまえ

6 Likes

If memory serves me, I think he actually speaks that way :joy:

I didn’t really know a lot of Japanese at the time and read the English version of Fate/Stay Night, but I remember hearing a lot of older patterns.

2 Likes

I started laughing even before I saw the pictures.

2 Likes

200w

wot

4 Likes

I actually saw 近う寄れ today earlier (never seen it before), funny how these things work.

3 Likes

There always was something suspicious about that behaviour.

1 Like

If that’s your lecturing style, I am already feeling sorry for your students :joy:

5 Likes

I’m not sure about this long sentence (ebook, but I would guess from seanblue’s post, that it’s 92 page Tsubasa)
和子にあのような奇妙な能力──タイム・リープだとかテレポーテーションだとかいう、非現実的な超能力をあたえた、不思議な薬品を作ることのできる人間なのだ。

Does this essentialy translate to:"It’s the person who could’ve made that strange medicine thing, from which Kazuko gained that strange power - teleportation and time leaping?

I’m not sure what あたえた is. Is it あたえる or あたう?

Your translation seems fine, except that the “could’ve made” you used seems to me like it would assume the meaning of “might have made” instead of “had the ability to make”, which is what’s actually being said (as far as I know). I don’t know, you might have meant that too, I’m not a native English speaker, after all.

It’s あたえる (与える). 和子に blablablabla を与えた、不思議な薬品 => the strange medicine thing that granted blablabla to Kazuko.

4 Likes

Oh, okay, thank you!! I’m not a native too, so I might mess up:D

1 Like

So is chapter 17 the really dense chapter people who already finished the book said came towards the end? I’m barely into it but there’s a lot I’m not quite getting the nuances of.

I’ll just start off with one question. Page 98 of the Tsubasa version:
僕の話がとっぴすぎるからと言って、もっと現実的な説明を求められたところで、僕にできる話というのは、これだけなんだ。

This is the second time recently I saw a ~たところで that resembled the ~たところ pattern, but also could just be past tense + ところで. From the context here, I think it’s the latter. That would mean it’s AところでB = Even if A, B. So I think the translation is “Even if you said my story is too extraordinary and wanted/requested a more realistic explanation, this is the only story I can tell”. (I’m not sure how to translate 求める into passive here)

Thoughts? If I see ~たところで is it always the ところで meaning, or does it depend on context?

Unfortunately I’ll be pretty busy the next few days, so I won’t be able to dig into the nuances of this chapter as much as I’d like. :confused:

4 Likes

〜たところで

Your understanding of it seems fine to me tho : o

(Also I still haven’t read this week because re2 is my life now)

2 Likes

Whaaa, ~たところで is it’s own grammar point? :exploding_head:

9 Likes

:woman_shrugging:

I’m been surprised so often by what is and isn’t it’s own grammar point that I’ve stopped being surprised anymore really

3 Likes