文豪ストレイドッグス わん! (Bungou Stray Dogs Wan!) – Volume 1

That would probably be about all I could manage, reading books fatigues me so much quicker than manga, given the lack of pretty artwork to give me hints when I get stuck

tumblr_5b5b7260425a1b390fe4d6696cc4ba1e_2757c4f4_400

I find it so much easier to pick up manga and children’s books to read (they at least usually have some pictures) and I keep putting novels off. I should really just pick one and start reading, see what happens.

I’m not too sure about that but thanks for the vote of confidence :grin:

I find I have issues with that sometimes, I know nothing beats practice whether it comes to Japanese, my artwork etc but I’m a bit of a perfectionist and overthink things a lot. I go to do something and I envisage so many different ways it can go wrong or not be ‘perfect’ that a lot of the time I never get started :sweat_smile:

I do think I am getting better at just doing things now and trying not to overthink, for Japanese the book clubs definitely help with that, I don’t have too much time to think if I want to stay on schedule :joy:

1 Like

in mean in the first pages my book had the word anticoagulant so your is probably gonna be easier :grin: You have had practice with manga at that time I had none. I believe in you 頑張れ

Same building up motivation is hard. This is why I read japanese book everyday so that now it’s more an habit than a work so no need to motivate myself. Also I can relax more if I take some advance because reading every day make it really easier to read a lot.

Btw you are doing artwork? which kind? can I take a little peak at it? pretty please

2 Likes

Building motivation is hard, it’s also so easy to lose motivation as well. I think I’ll try to clear my bookshelf first, I have a few children’s books I can read, once I do those I might try to read some of the past book club picks. I think it’s the reading every day thing I need to get better at, sometimes I get my reading for the clubs done quickly then don’t do much, or any, other reading that week :sweat_smile:

Yeah I like to doodle and sketch, I haven’t really done so properly in years but I’m trying to get back into it. I used to do paintings as well. At the moment I’m just doing quick re-draws of anime/manga scenes I like or characters, just to try and get back into the way of doing things. I might have a few sketches I’ve done recently lying around, if I can find them I’ll post them. They’re probably not the best though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just to add what other people have said :slightly_smiling_face:

Summary

味見しまくったんだな Literally means “He filled himself up with taste testing…”
しまっくている means いっぱい basically
【しまくっている】とはどういう意味ですか? - 日本語に関する質問 | HiNative
【N1文法】~まくる | 毎日のんびり日本語教師

あちち is something you say when something is h o t lol.
あちちとは? 意味や使い方 - コトバンク
And I guess my attempt at translating that sentence:
ほらこうなった - I knew it! (Literally "look, it became this)
なると思ったよ! - I knew this was how it was going to end! (I knew it would become (this))

I hope that helped…it’s kinda late but just in case, LOL :heart:

3 Likes

Week 5: Chapters 13-15

Start Date: September 28th
Previous: Week 4
Next: Week 6
Home Thread: Link
Vocabulary: Spreadsheet

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

1 Like

Yes, it did help, thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
It filled the holes.

And yep, whole BSD radio is awesome and wholesome and Atsushi’s seiyuu is lovely as a host. The problem is, the thing is also licensed and has an official release :confused:

Amazon link
(first volume of the three total, as far as I can see)

So I’m not sure its YT translation can be linked on Wanikani, because while it is veeeery spin-offy&for-advertising-purposes, it is still piracy? I think? I don’t want to be a joy-killer, but. :confused:

1 Like

I have finally managed to catch up :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think it falls under fair use. Like how there can be clips of shows o Youtube :thinking: Maybe that just shows how ignorant I am of the law tho… :rofl:
But I don’t want to risk it, so I’ll take it down, thanks for the heads up, and also Imma check that link out :eyes: :heart:

2 Likes

One clip is probably fair use as a quote, but the clip leads to the whole channel and that’s why I was concerned. :woman_shrugging:
But I’m also not 100% sure if it counts, so I’m sorry if I’m overreacting.

1 Like

No you’re not overreacting! Honestly I appreciate the warning because I am very ignorant in stuff like that, I’d rather be cautious just in case. :heart:

2 Likes

EjEftmrU0AMj2RD

Tomorrow there is supposed to be some announcement regarding Wan! animation.

2 Likes

Hopefully it’s news about the release date

1 Like

This week chapter seemed so short

Chapt 13

I knew this is how it was gonna end. The misunderstanding I mean. The cow was pretty cute.

Chapt 14

If people wondered why I always think Dazai is behind everything here is the proof I am right. Everything is part of dazai’s 計画.
note: 計画 means plan.

Chapt 15

This one was sooo cute. I loved it. I second Atuchi these were not children’s books I’m surpise Dazai was the teacher I would have assumed him more as a child. I’m was also surprised Yoshina-sensei was that proper with children. I was expecting more blood.

1 Like

@DollyDaydream
I just want to say that I think your gifs are extremely cute, don’t stop!

Hmmm. They seem to be a standard length. And I have a lot of questions this week anyway. So much that I decided to divide it between comments and questions.

Comments (&replies to icefang)

Chapter 13

It is a classic translator’s nightmare, though. :stuck_out_tongue:
And there was a kanji-and-rare-words-fest once again.

Dazai so cute here.

Chapter 14

Well, Light Yagami and Dazai are both voiced by Mamoru Miyano…

Also Chuuya so kind hereeee~ so good~ so nice~
That’s me during this chapter:
wan6

…I have a weakness for Chuuya. As it might be observed.
I’m really bad with poetry, though, so I can’t appreciate real-life Chuuya’s poems, I’m afraid. I even tried, but nope. I was like “ummm, I guess it this one is about sadness? I think?”

Chapter 15

They could do it so Yosano-sensei would read them the bloody version of these fairy-tales. I’m a little disappointed they didn’t use this.
And ahhh Akutagawa is so loyal at the end.

wan10

Also, a kani! :heart:

Questions

Chapter 14

#1 What’s this ~けりゃ suffix? My best guess is 蹴る.
wan4

#2 It’s the scene when the “grandma” says Chuuya’s her grandchildren’s age. I don’t understand the grammar the grandma uses here. Is it just “it would be good if I had any grandchildren, though”?
wan5

#3 I don’t understand the part I marked red.

#4 Same problem as above. How does 捨てる fits here, is it an idiom?
wan8

Chapter 15

#5 Does Kyouka say here that she cannot use scissors for assassination?
wan9

#6 I don’t understand what’s happening here. Did 夜叉白雪 just also wanted to play? Or did she didn’t like something here?
wan11

#7 I want to confirm my translation - so, Chuuya is generally calling Atsushi a crybaby and he gives him an advice to talk back to people instead of crying?

1 Like
Chapter 13

That last panel with the cow at the end was so adorable

I’m glad you don’t mind, I love a good gif, I might have a problem. Especially concerning K-On, so many good gifs…

1 Like

Wan! Animation Update

source is here: https://mobile.twitter.com/bungosd_anime

Important information:

• release date is January, 2021
  • there was an adorable art
art

So it’s sooner than I’ve expected. Too bad we don’t know how many volumes they are planning to cover. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yay, what a good start to my day

My anime to watch list for January 2021 just keeps getting better and better and better…it’s almost too good to be true.

The art work is adorable…I can’t wait :blush:

Hmm if it’s 12 episodes per season maybe a couple of volumes? I’d imagine given how short each individual story is that an episode could consist of maybe 3 stories?

1 Like

(First: awww to the bed gif, even “来た” fits :notes:.)

It would be a nice pace, because that way there’s no risk of them outrunning us. :stuck_out_tongue:
But main manga was doing ~4 volumes/1 season, so it would be equivalent of around 6-7 Wan! chapters in one episode. That feels like it would be very dense, I admit.
There is also an option they would go with some irregular format, like Hetalia, which was 5-minutes episodes.

I guess it’s impossible to guess, but I just don’t want them to use too much material, so I won’t have a dilemma between waiting, watching anime first or rushing with manga. :confounded:

1 Like

Sorry for the wait I will try to help you but you made me realize how many things I skip when I read as long as I get the overall meaning.

"Answer to Aislin

1- What’s this ~けりゃ suffix? My best guess is 蹴る.

けりゃ is the informal version of ければ
so it is : “You said you want my help so of you want it shut up while walking.”
some links: here
or here

2- It’s the scene when the “grandma” says Chuuya’s her grandchildren’s age. I don’t understand the grammar the grandma uses here. Is it just “it would be good if I had any grandchildren, though”?

you are right. 居る means to exist. たら is a if and良かった is the past of good.The joke here is probably that she says he makes her think of her grandson(a kid probably) then had if she had one. She calld him a child and we know how Chuuya likes that.(knowing it is dazai make it fun because he know how to make Chuuya angry)

3- I don’t understand the part I marked red.

揶揄う(to make fun of)
って= informal of to say
くるう= to come
だろう= right?probably
“if he knows that, many years of ridiculizing is coming.”
In short if Dazai know of this he will ridiculize him

4- Same problem as above. How does 捨てる fits here, is it an idiom?

I think it’s just the verb to throw away.
“Even my disguising technique hasn’t been thrown away right?”
“He even changes his bone structure right?”
I haven’t found any other meaning for 捨てた

5- Does Kyouka say here that she cannot use scissors for assassination?

“You can’t use scissors as a murder tool.”
Probably a joke because she is a murderer. But it’s common sense for Atushi.
You had it right

6- I don’t understand what’s happening here. Did 夜叉白雪 just also wanted to play? Or did she didn’t like something here?

In the other panel before you can see that Atsushi does not recognize what she made. She just got embarrassed at her cutting skill and destroy it all to prevent further humiliation. She his hiding her face will be destroying it.

7- I want to confirm my translation - so, Chuuya is generally calling Atsushi a crybaby and he gives him an advice to talk back to people instead of crying?

Yes

I hope that helped you. I had to search for some of them. I understand some better now thx to it. Sorry for the delay I forgot to answer yesterday.

1 Like

I often skip many things in other books/manga too, but I want to have one thing I do as intensive reading and I’ve chosen Wan! for that. :smiley:
Edit: And you don’t have to hurry, just answer whenever you have time!

:sparkles:Thank youuu!:sparkles:

(I may have been infected by @DollyDaydream)

Answer to answer

Haha, so Kyouka paper animals were supposed to be bad :joy: I thought they were just cute, I was so sure of it, I didn’t even realize she was correcting him about the species :stuck_out_tongue: (Yes, it seems clear when I’m looking at the panels now, I must have been tired.)

2 Likes