文豪ストレイドッグス わん! (Bungou Stray Dogs Wan!) – Volume 1

It would be a nice pace but like you say the main manga was doing more per season, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter as well, and I have very little willpower to resist an anime with such cute visuals.

Haha what can I say…

(I love the Dazai gif, he looks so adorable, it also shows how good the shows animation was)

2 Likes

Week 6: Chapters 16-18/19*
*should be 18, but I made a typo and now 19 is also covered here

Start Date: October 5th
Previous: Week 5
Next: Week 7
Home Thread: Link
Vocabulary: Spreadsheet

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

2 Likes

I’m the first to comment? that is new well…
FIRST!!!

We had 4 chapters this week but it was an easy read for me because it’s such a funny manga.

Chap 16

Dazai is impressive as always. These stickers fit perfectly over the eye. I found that one funny.
I really love that expression.
FunnyFace

Chap 17

This one was so cute. Yes, Dazai is right, Atsushi is a cat, fight me.

Chap 18

We don’t see the guild often so it was nice to see. I did not remember everyone there on the go but was able to remember after careful observation. I found the zimbabwe money part funny not gonna lie.

For those who know Re Zero

I found the 白鯨 after/before Subaru beat it

Chap 19

I love Kenji so that chapt was fun. Kenji is such a nice character. Then they fight to see who has the most gentle personality. :rofl:

2 Likes

Ooops, we didn’t have 4 chapters, I made a typo! :confounded: :confounded: :confounded: It was okay in the schedule. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:
…I guess now I’ll read 4 chapters too.

2 Likes

Let’s just say I took some advance then. I properly separated all chapter at least ha ha

EDIT: I just realise do we finish the book next week? That was fast

2 Likes

For now, the first two chapters:

Chapter 16 - comments

It reminded me that I still didn’t decide whether or not to buy short stories collection of RealLifeKajii…
We have this beautiful Polish translation recently published, too… And book stores are decorating it with lemons for their ad photos :joy:

source: Księgarnia Karakter facebook page

source: Tajfuny facebook page

I actually do not know what the significance of the lemon is in the original short story :smiley:

Chapter 16 - question

#1 I have a problem with the part marked red. Maybe… Kunikida thinks here that Dazai wants to poke him in the eyes and Kunikida is saying that it won’t work with glasses…? :thinking:

Chapter 17 - comments

Well they have already adopted a cow in the earlier chapter what difference does a cat make.
And they already have one cat, anyway. I know it’s the cat form of Natsume Sōseki, but still.
Btw, did you know that Sōseki’s book I am a Cat is literally told from the cat’s perspective?

As for Atsushi, well, for me tiger totally counts as a cat :woman_shrugging:

Chapter 17 - questions

wan2
#2 What does マメ mean?

wan3
#3 Wtf is this kanji.

1 Like

Yep, we do! Well, technically it will be 7 weeks, so not that fast.
I hope it means you just enjoyed it so much it went fast for you :relaxed:

Like I mentioned when doing the 2nd volume poll, I plan on starting with 2nd volume on November 2nd.
(That’s a lot of 2’s.)

2 Likes

Yeah it is a manga so it might be slow for it. In the Re Zero bookclub, we do 6 weeks for a book so I forgot the quantity difference between book and manga.

That’s what it mean. Could not believe it’s only 7 week. Maybe because it an ebook for me but I though we had a lot more to go. At least we have more volume after

2 Likes

I made a double post, and now I’m worried that you missed my comments/questions for chapters 16 and 17.
If you just want to reply to it later because it’s more time consuming, then I’m sorry for pushing :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I might have miss them I can’t answer then now though give me some time and I will look at it

1 Like
Chapter 16 question possible answer?

I initially understood this as Kunikda quoting Dazai as having said that ‘wearing glasses is pointless’ because of the って, even though I didn’t think a quotation made sense. After reading it a second time and doing some Googling I found that verb in the past + て can mean ‘even if’.

That would mean what Kunikida’s saying is something like ‘even if I am wearing glasses, that is pointless don’t you think’.

I think he’s just commenting on how pointless he perceived Dazai’s action to be and the fact he was wearing glasses (which stopped Dazai poking his eyes) doesn’t make Dazai’s action any less pointless. In other words it won’t achieve anything even if he had managed to poke him in the eyes.

I hope that makes sense…? And is correct…

1 Like

It’s funny how you block at the same place as I do ha ha.

Answer to aislin

1-

I believe you are right. 眼鏡にする seem to mean to wear glass. That sentence structure is bugging me but I say you got the right meaning. The English version is on your side
Capture

2-

マメ it means diligent
Capture

撫でる to pat, to caress. He was the only one that could not pet the cat. It’s really sad.

What is that?

1 Like

Thanks for your help (and for yours, @DollyDaydream), but sigh I guess I need to say it again - Wanikani seems to be really strict about not-exactly-legal-content. I’ve seen it in other threads and I feel responsible for monitoring this one. I realize you can find some things very easily anyway, and that other places may be not that strict, but I didn’t make Wanikani rules. :woman_shrugging:

In this thread, for example, it’s explicitly mentioned that moderators really do care about this policy being respected.

2 Likes

In that case here ! Problem solve

1 Like

I have watched the anime of Bungou Stray Dogs, is the light novel worth it?

Depends which one. Some volumes were adapted into the anime (but there are changes), some are completely new material.

And just to clarify - we aren’t reading light novels in this thread.

My bad mate. I should’ve read the title more carefully :laughing:
I automatically thought this was the light novel thread when I saw the title.

1 Like

I think this might be the word?

I think this makes sense given the context

2 Likes
Chapter 18

Yeah, it is funny for me how all these American authors are actually less known to me than Japanese ones :smiley:
And since days only have so much hours in them, I’m remaining faithful to Japanese language&(pop)culture being my main obsession hobby, so I’m not gonna get into Guild characters prototypes anytime soon. :stuck_out_tongue:
I think the only BSD-related book I personally did read as a part of the school curriculum was Dostoevsky’s Crime and Punishment in high school. I was reading/watching Death Note around the same period, and I decided that Raskolnikov is a pussy compared to Light.
…I think I went a little off-topic with this comment. :sweat_smile:

Chapter 19

Hahahah, yes. It is sad that Atsushi isn’t counted as gentle here. He deserves it! :hugs:

2 Likes
Chap 19

Well he count as a cat so… take it as you will

2 Likes