文豪ストレイドッグス わん! (Bungou Stray Dogs Wan!) – Volume 1

No prob, at least, that’s what makes the most sense to me (since I’m obviously at half your WaniKani level and don’t pretend to be fluent at all XD).

2 Likes

that does not mean a lot. I may be good at kanji but grammar is my weak point. I still have lot of trouble sometime so this is why we have book club to share our strong point and improve together. Don’t be fool by my level I still have a lot to learn.

2 Likes

Me too, me too, ugh, the grammar D: D: D:. I mean, I was a rhetoric and writing major in college, but Japanese grammar seems to always have new surprises in store for me that makes my brain explode and is honestly my biggest nemesis. 私達は頑張れましょうよ、ファイト!日本語の文法に負けね〜〜〜!

2 Likes
More hat details

They even included “Hat Rack” in the list of Chuuya’s nicknames on the wiki. x)

I wouldn’t say Rimbaud “gave” him that hat, because he didn’t do it personally. It was Mori who took it from Rimbaud’s personal belongings and then passed it down to Chuuya. Rimbaud’s was already dead at that point. But yes, it’s Rimbaud’s hat.
After the anime, I didn’t really understand why Chuuya would want a memento of Rimbaud. Their interaction is extended in original novel material (太宰、中也、十五歳 - I love this title, it’s so straightforward) (episodes 1-3 of season 3 in the anime). The whole final fight is much longer and it goes a little different.
It was after the novel I started liking Rimbaud and I understood why Chuuya would care about keeping his hat. Or why would he visit his grave.

Anyway, what also made me giggle in Wan!'s chapter 6 is the fact that Chuuya freely walks into Detective Agency’s office :smiley:

Yay, ファイト! :grin:

3 Likes

That makes much more sense with what I remember. When I read the wiki, I was like, how did that happen, I thought he died, haha.

1 Like

Btw, I also was intimidated by you, but not only because of your level, but also because your Re: Zero book club has this warning “This book is considered an advanced level please be aware of your own level.”. :smiley: It sounds really scary!
And there is also this gif used for Re: Zero by @Naphthalene in that post
(I only found that post when I was searching for 乙女ゲーム posts :stuck_out_tongue: but that gif made a strong impression on me and and it stuck in my memory :sweat_smile:).
So I was going by: Re: Zero seems like a hard book -> it’s icefang’s book club -> and icefang’s level 60 -> icefang must be really good with Japanese. :smiley:

So it’s really suprising and a relief to see you acting so humble :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Maybe I made it too scary but it’s because we had a problem first with beginner entering and shifting the vote to make it easier than what was expected. The people who wanted to read Re Zero were advance members who wanted to read at a good pace so I had to make a choice.

I can get by normal conversation but other than that. Sometimes I can understand someone perfectly then 5 minutes later not understand someone else. My reading is way higher than my other skill. My speaking is probably my worst one. I can’t even help people on bookclub question because my grammar is bad T.T But I can understand where your assumption come from

You were expecting me to be someone who picks on less advanced people? I was at your stage and the last thing we need is an egocentric person that shows off. If I can help people like people help me advance I will be satisfied. Even if it’s only one person.

Anyway, even if I wanted to brag I would only be showing my incompetence to everyone. :sob:

But thx for the message It’s fun to see how people see you. Never thought I was intimidating. :clown_face:

1 Like

I didn’t want it to sound like that! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just kidding :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Just because you say it’s was surprising.

1 Like

I forgot to comment on this one. Yes, I also have an impression that kanji are used here very abundantly, even for things “usually written using kana alone”. Or there are more fancy kanji than usual, like with うるさい .
I guess it’s supposed to give it more “literature at the beginning of 20th century” feeling? Even if action itself is set in modern times? :grin:
Oh well, as long as they are using furigana, I’m fine with it. :smiley: At least readings are still common words, if readings would also be some fancy Old Japanese stuff - that would be troubling. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Despite being behind (work was so busy this week I could just about keep up with my reviews) but I have noticed so many words in kanji. Some of them that I didn’t even realise could be written using kanji.

It’s interesting to see though. I do think it is to give the series that literary feel like you say.

2 Likes

Week 3: Chapters 7-9

Start Date: September 14th
Previous: Week 2
Next: Week 4
Home Thread: Link

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

1 Like
Chapter 7 comments

I can’t shake the feeling that there’s something fundamentally wrong with Port Mafia and Detective’s Agency having Hanami’s blankets next to each other just like that :smiley:
Or with Mafia going out for Hanami in the open like this :stuck_out_tongue:
(Okay, technically Mafia is trying to cover-up their illegal activities by front businesses so maaaybe this makes sense?)

And Chuuya really should learn from experience by now that he should drink less :wink:
(Useful vocabulary from this chapter: 二日酔い)

3 Likes
Chapter 7

OMG, Kyouka and Atsushi are so wholesome at the beginning of this chapter. Probably my favorite part of this volume so far! ʚ♡⃛ɞ(ू•ᴗ•ू❁) She was just really looking forward to the Hanami, best girl without a doubt XD.

Aww, Akutagawa (still can’t get over how cute he is here, LOL). I love how the tiny changes between panels still manages to get across his look of devastation. Luckily, the Port Mafia folks ended up not having to move because Chuuya passed out drunk right after that. Well-played, Dazai, well-played.

New vocab acquired:

二日酔い! Hangover (๑ᵕ⌓ᵕ̤)>c[_]

露骨/unconcealed (written as ロコツ on page 57) was another new one for me.

2 Likes
Chapter 8

Wow, chapter 8 was dense, at least for me.

It was nice to learn how different breaststroke/平泳ぎ is called in different languages - it was always “frog style” for me in Polish.
I was able to google that there are some associations with frogs in English, but is isn’t so widespread. Although the official Polish name seems to be “classical style”, but everybody just calls it “frog”.

wan_comment_1

I can’t get used to Tanizaki acting so tame in BSD. Although I guess he is mostly based on Naomi (痴人の愛) protagonist (because Naomi “character” is even present).
And the guy from Naomi sure was quite timid and tame. But then I think about other protagonists from RealLifeTanizaki works, for example, that guy from Diary of a Mad Old Man (瘋癲老人日記) that would love to go into the bathroom together with his daughter-in-law… :upside_down_face: He was still a masochist, though.
(I’d like to remind everyone that Tanizaki is VeryRespectedAuthorMuchAwardsMuchPraise. I realize some may doubt after hearing summaries of his works.)

wan_comment_2

And it seems Tachihara supports my doubts whether the Mafia should act so “のんびり”. Btw, why there is only one bathroom everywhere? And why is everyone living together? I realize we saw some snippets of Atsushi using some kind of dorms in the anime, but does nobody have an own apartment here? Even the Mafia guys? :wink:

Another fun fact about RealLifeAuthors:
RealLifeChuuya really did call RealLifeDazai a 青鯖 (mackerel, now an archaism), at least according to Japanese Wikipedia:
太宰治は同人誌「青い花」を創刊するにあたり、檀一雄や中也を誘った。東中野の居酒屋で飲んでいると中也は「青鯖が空に浮かんだような顔をしやがって」
(And may I bring attention to the fact that RealLifeChuuya has a 酒乱 section on his Wikipedia.)

As for BSD itself, I saw once there are even drama CDs about characters going to an onsen.
Detective Agency
Port Mafia

I didn’t listen to them and the official physical copies are surprisingly expensive (Mafia one seems to have some kind of bonus though - looks like anime BD/DVD) and Amazon won’t even post them to my location.
(And my listening skills are definitely too low.)
But I thought I’d mention it as we are on an onsen (or at least public bath) chapter now.

2 Likes

Sorry but I can’t get over the fact that the characters are soooo cute. I know I said it three time but still…

Chapter 7

This is mostly comedy so nothing wrong here. Sometime they do interact together in the anime. For the what is mafia doing there I guess it’s only bad if people know they are port mafia. Regular folk probably don’t know who is a mafia and who is not.

Chapter 8

This chapter wads bigger than usual.

Interesting. Btw I love your real author fact if you have more please don’t hesitate. I would actually love to read these authors’book. I not they are not anime like but the more I learn about them the more I wanbt to read their book.

Nice to know. Here is one thing I learned from experience, if you look deep enough you might “stumble by accident” on the drama cd online for free. Of course I’m not saying you should because it’s badddd you know but some “accident” sometimes happens. I want to look into ths matter personaly later on. For research purpose of course.

Chapter 9

I’m surprise no one spoke about it because, personally, it was really funny. Atsuchi was so cute in that dress. He seemed so proud of it. He was the only one really in the role. The others was just trolling him.

Because of the first page, I was expecting Atsushi to be the prince and Kyouka to be Cinderella. I’m not sad that I was wrong. Took me some time to remember who was in the role of the prince. I got it because of his love for monney.

I really love this manga Thx for making me discover it.

3 Likes
Chapter 8

Regarding Atsushi: ohhh, no honey, noooo. I get it, things were different at the orphanage, but nooo, don’t use the same bar of soap for everything, LOL (I think that is the one time that Atsushi managed to actually make Dazai completely balk so far, haha).

I love how Akutagawa hasn’t said a word, but everyone understands him perfectly XD. I appreciate that Ichiyou has no doubt that he would still kick ass while naked, this gladdens my heart.

Acquired vocab:

石鹸/soap ヾ(´▽`*;)ゝ” :soap:
全裸/naked Σ(゜ロ゜;)

3 Likes

Yay yay yay! ^^
I’m so happy you like it! :blush: :blush: :blush:

I’m also happy that you enjoy my real authors facts! I was afraid that I might be boring :grin:
If you ever do read anything, please let me know, I’m interested to know your opinion!

Actually there is one manga adaptation I may recommend - Junji Ito’s adaptation of Dazai’s No Longer Human/人間失格 . It is mostly faithful, but Junji Ito also added some stuff from himself… there is a talk about this changes here for example, but it’s of course spoiler-ridden. To put it spoiler-free, the base is faithful, but there are some extra scenes added.
I still really enjoyed this adaptation, but I am also a fan of Junji Ito’s visual style.

I think you’re just too fast :stuck_out_tongue: and me and @monochromePLUSH just didn’t catch up yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here are my chapter 9 comments

Oh yes, this one was especially cute. :sparkles: And I was expecting Kyouka to be the prince at first :stuck_out_tongue:
But Fitzgerald really fits with all that money.

RealAuthorFacts Time! Fitzgerald’s wife name was Zelda and I thought it was just a coincidence with The Legend of Zelda games, but nope!

According to Shigeru Miyamoto, co-creator of The Legend of Zelda series, Princess Zelda’s name was inspired by that of Zelda Fitzgerald, an American novelist, dancer, and socialite, as well as the wife of fellow novelist F. Scott Fitzgerald. Miyamoto explains, “[Fitzgerald] was a famous and beautiful woman from all accounts, and I liked the sound of her name. So I took the liberty of using her name for the very first Zelda title.”
source

I also had thoughts about how there are 魔女, but no 魔男.
And jisho’s words for wizard aren’t so gender specific - 魔法使い, 魔道士… At least they don’t have gender kanji in the names.

3 Likes
Chapter 9

LOL, whenever I see the word 舞踏会 (ぶとうかい), I will always think of the hilarious joke in Norn9 with Mikoto getting the wrong understanding of Cinderella’s story, so she thinks that she has to go and compete at a martial arts tournament (武道会/ぶどうかい), instead of attending a ball XD.

Aww, yes, Atsushi is very cute and happy in that dress! I love Fem Boys~~ * :heart:(˶╹̆ ▿╹̆˵)و✧ :heart: Too bad the prince didn’t work out, tho. At least he eventually ends up joining forces with his step family to defeat him later, hee hee.

Vocab acquired:

継母/stepmother
義姉/stepsister/sister-in-law
穀潰し/good-for-nothing, parasite, etc.

3 Likes

I’m mad I only just saw this but
inhales BUNGOU STRAY DOGS IS MY FAVORITE I STG I’M READING THE NOVELS IN JAPANESE RN AAAAAAAAAAAAA

So I will be lurking and stealing your vocab thanks

4 Likes