指す - to point - why was to shine accepted?

Okay, I blanked out on 指す right now, and just b/c there’s a sun in it and I was completely blanking out, I just got silly and typed “to shine”, which WK accepted, but is not the correct answer (to point, to point at).

So … I don’t see that as any sort of alternate definition. Is it?
Or does WK need to edit its list of acceptable answers?

Sorry if this was already asked somewhere. It didn’t come up on my search, probably b/c anyone who wasn’t blanking out and being silly would type “to point”.

1 Like

I think it just has something to do with the typo filter swapping up to 3 letters, so it swapped out the “s”, “h”, and “e” for “p”, “o”, and “t”.
Unless, of course, I’m wrong about how this works, in which case I have no idea

2 Likes

Could be!
For some reason I was thinking it just swapped 2 letters.

1 Like

PS: Thanks!

1 Like

Hmm, there is another さす verb (but with at different Kanji 差す) that actually mean “to shine”, so I wonder if it’s related.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s probably why. Funnily enough while I’m reading this post while doing my reviews, 差す came up lol

2 Likes

Thanks!
Now I don’t know which answer to believe, though!

It’s quite simple to distinguish them. Just look at the finger radical. It’s the star of the show of any kanji it’s in. As you level up you’ll slowly learn that anything Kanji that has the finger radical involves something that you can actually picture someone doing with their hands/fingers. So in the case of 指す、think of pointing with the finger.

1 Like

It depends on the length of the word.

Thanks! Yep, I knew there was a finger there. Just couldn’t for the life of me come up with point!

I’m not sure, but there used to be a translation of “to shine on”, which is probably secretly whitelisted.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.