大海原と大海原 ・Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea (Absolute Beginners Book Club Starting in September)

Thanks for this! I’m looking forward to it!

7 Likes

Thank you for this! I’m super excited to be joining my first book club here :bug:

7 Likes

@Jorlp @MothKau Welcome to the club! I look forward to reading with you both!

4 Likes

just wanna say i’m so excited to join!!! this is my first book club. i’ve gotten through Genki 1 and i’m only at level 4 in Wanikani but i’m ready for a challenge:-)

8 Likes

Welcome to the club! Getting started might be difficult (it will be for me too :joy:), but by the end you’ll be surprised by how much you’ve learned!!

3 Likes

I’m not sure if it matters, but I think the page numbers and title for chapter 1 are a bit weird.

The table of contents says that chapter 1 begins on page 13 and I think this is correct, as it seems each chapter ends with the pages we see on pages 12 and 11.
The title for chapter 1 doesn’t occur until page 16, which matches the schedule for this club since the first text is page 17.

We can then see chapter 2 begin on page 29, with the same chapter ending pages before it on pages 28 and 27.

I just wanted to mention this in case it confused anyone else.

2 Likes

Thanks for mentioning this! The set up of the book is pretty odd, so it made figuring out the page numbers a bit of a challenge. I’ll try to make it more clear to help avoid confusion!

4 Likes

While I wasn’t the addressee (?) of your post, you did encourage me to create a bookwalker account and buy the digital version of this book and thus participate in the book club, so thank you so very much!

I’ve also discovered that I’ll be able to buy the digital mainichi oosumo magazine this way. You have no idea how happy this makes me! Sumo was and is my motivation to learn Japanese :blush:

6 Likes

So if I understand right the vocabulary list will be uploaded today? And will that be in this thread or a new one?

3 Likes

Hello :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and yes it will be up tonight or early tomorrow. There will be a link to it in all threads associated with the book club (I will be posting the chapter one thread as well). People who have started reading early can add to it as soon as it’s up!

6 Likes

The vocab sheet and first thread (prologue) are up. You can easily access the new thread by clicking on it in the schedule in the first post. Also, I realized that the pages in the schedule are a bit off due to how I was originally viewing the manga, so I will be updating the page numbers this weekend.

6 Likes

So I seriously looked at the Japanese title for the first time and tried to translate it… From my understanding と connects nouns, like “and.” But it’s the same word repeated “Ocean and Ocean”? How are we getting to the English translation?

5 Likes

The top of the volume one book cover says:

coverx

Over on Pixiv, わだのはら is listed as the main character’s name:

Screenshot_20210903_220058

7 Likes

It’s like what @ChristopherFritz said. Essentially the main character’s name means ocean. So ocean and ocean is correct, but based on the context it is translated as her name and the great blue sea (ocean). However, I would recommend not getting too focused on comparing Japanese titles with the English translations, since there are plenty of cases where the English name will have extra words added or just be completely different. (Like Hanako kun :neutral_face: :sleepy:) There are often some uhhh interesting choices made when localizing. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

For those new to learning Japanese, you’ll soon find this sort of wordplay is not uncommon.

For example, the manga 「ご注文はうさぎですか?」 involves various coffee and tea cafés, and characters are named after various drinks (such as ホット・ココア, meaning hot cocoa).

The manga 「ひとりぼっちの○○生活」 about a girl with no friends, the main character is named ひとり・ぼっち (meaning loneliness).

Another manga, 「好きな子がめがねを忘れた」, the female lead character can’t see without her glasses, and her name is みえ (a play on ()えない, meaning to not be seen).

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see other character names in 「大海原と大海原」 that are based on an attribute of the character.

6 Likes

All of the characters’ names in that are puns on their primary trait. Same goes for 古見さんは、コミュ症です。, which has a fairly similar premise.

4 Likes

I will say there is a character with the name “鮫吉” in the manga if you want to take any guesses about their attributes :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

Just in case you missed it earlier this is how we decided the title is read in Japanese.

I’m glad you found it helpful. The sumo magazine looks fun. It looks tricky to read but I enjoyed looking at the pictures of Terunofuji in the sample!

6 Likes

The schedule has been updated! If the page count or starting page look slightly off it is because I excluded page breaks (they usually have two page breaks between chapters) and chapter title pages (so the chapter start page may be 1 page ahead of the table of contents) please let me know if you have any questions!

Also as @Micki said this is based off the number printed in the bottom of the page of the book as opposed to the bookwalker page count.

4 Likes

Going to give this a try, thanks everyone for organizing this, providing vocab, etc!

I’m thinking to start with the digital, though eventually I’d like to start picking up physical copies of things as I get more comfortable.

Maybe it has been answered elsewhere, but when going with the ebook format, is there a “best” place to get it from for an iPad (out of the choices listed). I’ve read a few posts about some formatting issues here and there when looking at texts and didn’t know if there was a preferred source that seems to work well. Otherwise, I’ll probably just go with the Amazon JP method.

Thanks all, looking forward to giving this a try!

5 Likes