夜市 Home Thread

Week 1

Start Date: May 9th
Next week: Week 2

Reading:

End Page End Percentage End Phrase Page Count
14 4% 闇が切り取られていた。 7

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m planning to start later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

5 Likes

The reading felt very quick, and leaving off where we do means I am quite curious for the next scene! I’m enjoying Izumi’s point of view quite a lot so far, too. <3

4 Likes

Even in such a short read, I got to learn two new words. 殺風景 and 溌剌.
I felt better about myself when it turned out いずみ didn’t know that last one either :joy:
Also, I’d be properly terrified in her place.

5 Likes

Both good words, too, very expressive!

Thoughts
  1. But I thought she did know, even if not fully and with kanji? 大学生が、ハツラツという言葉を知らないはずもなく、それをあえて問う自分は、相手に媚びているのかもしれない。
  2. I was terrified in her place for sure! He’s not someone she knows well, to the point she worried about going to his place alone, and now she’s following him into dark woods, just the two of them, with a completely unbelievable story to convince her?? Because of what little I know of the premise of the book, I believe he’s telling the truth, but if I were her I would not not not be going, lol.
5 Likes
Thoughts as well
  1. I thought like you at first, but the next sentence indicates that she thought that after saying it. So at least it felt like she didn’t immediately get it, but then thought it doesn’t matter since she might earn cute points because of that? But I guess it could be that she instinctively went for the cute points and only realized what she did after doing it? Not 100% sure actually :thinking:

Yes, but she is also not not interested in him, so… :joy:

4 Likes
Further thoughts
  1. That’s funny, because I thought like you at first! My impression was that she asked without thinking much about it, and then was like, wait, there’s no way a college student (like me) wouldn’t know what that meant, did I ask that just to be coy or flatter him or whatever, ugh. But then clearly she doesn’t know it 100% because she’s still thinking of it in katakana, but if she really didn’t know it at all, she wouldn’t know that it was something a college student would know…
  2. That not not interested part was great. I’m enjoying her a lot-- like not wanting the hassle of leaving his apartment when all she wants is to laze about and drink and talk (and maybe get confessed to but maybe not, lol) but knowing if she refuses and they stay there that there’s a possibility she’ll get bored and want to leave but not be able to say so, so they might as well go to the night market, SIGH.
3 Likes

Well, that was quick. Curious to know what happens, so a week of waiting will feel long! Random word I didn’t know: 社交, Seems like a useful word.

Glad I’m not the only with trouble with this scene. I’m still quite not sure how to parse it in this context.

2 Likes

I thought she asked because didn’t recognise it, then internally started rationalising for the sake of her pride…

Anyway, I need to read through again with a dictionary…I got most of the gist of it without, but there’s way too many words I don’t know.

3 Likes

I’m excited to join in with you guys in reading this! Where we stopped this week is such a cliffhanger, lol. Being in the middle of nowhere in the woods at night - creepy! Even the taxi driver thought the situation was weird. I was also confused about the 溌剌 section. I feel like maybe Izumi couldn’t remember the word, but every time I reread I change my mind, haha. I think あえて is what keeps tripping me up.

I related to this a lot, haha.

6 Likes

A fast read, indeed, and what a cliffhanger. I really like the little paragraph at the beginning that sets the tone for the story.

Even more thoughts on 溌剌...

It was mentioned earlier that Yuji had dropped out of high school, so I think she was trying to make him feel smart and prop him up a little bit. I think she realizes and laments at how condescending that is, “そんなことを瞬時に考える自分が嫌だった.” Furthermore, it causes the moment of personal connection to fall flat and Yuji abruptly changes the subject to the 夜市.

6 Likes

Well that was over fast! Looking forward to finding out more next week. :slight_smile:

I also read that part with ハツラツ twice, hehe. In the end I felt like she did know the word, and automatically went for ‘cute dumb’, and hates that part of herself a bit. as always, willing to be convinced otherwise with conclusive evidence and/or strong conviction. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@hgbearawesome あえて can also mean ‘to purposefully do something unnecessary’, if that helps?

Edit: sorry for the unintentional tag.

Also, does anyone else get this weird phenomenon on kindle-- a couple pages in, the place/line? Count goes from ロケーション2077の48 to 3ページ中1ページの, right where it goes from 2 to 3 percent (or, right when they both leave the apartment) …after that it goes to 3ページ中3ページの and stays there while the percentage only keeps rising. :scream: what’s going on here? :joy:

5 Likes

Alrighty; finished this week’s reading Sunday, but I’m really slow in typing up my questions (I just end up hand-writing them as I read, then I have to go back and figure out what I was confused about, haha.) I picked out 55 words to add to my study list from the chapter; most are generally new-new, but there are a few (like 駐車場) that I knew beforehand, but just haven’t seen in a while.

Questions: (I’m reading the Kindle version, but I don’t like percents and it’s hard to count pages, so I’ll just list both for now until counting pages becomes too much of a hassle. Why bother erasing them, Amazon? :\ )

p3/1%: いずみはいったあとにすばやく思った。
Bolded is my question: what is いった doing here?

p4/2%: 。。。と相手に気を違う状況に陥ることもありえる。
I’m guessing that the 陥ること is a euphemism for something, but I wasn’t able to follow her train of thought clearly enough to guess at more.

p5/2%: 肩をすくめたいずみを見て裕司はくすりと笑った。
The only thing that comes to mind here is the word for medicine, but paired with the と… I’m not sure.

岬の公園とその駐車場は、本当の岬と呼ばれるべき場所よりもかなり手前い配置されている。
So with this sentence, I understand the words, but the sentence as a whole isn’t coming together in my mind. “Instead of the cape park and parking lot, what you might call the “real” cape began where we were deposited.”, to translate loosely? This still doesn’t feel quite right, though.

p7/3%: 「。。。夜市は、どんなものでも手に入るといわれているんだ」
Hmmm. The でも’s function was my original question, but the more I read over this last bit of the sentence, the less sense it begins to make in my head. “…I said that you’d be able to experience the night market.”? (Again, very loosely translating.)

Phew; a few questions here, but hopefully you guys can help illuminate some of the answers. :blossom: I enjoyed reading these first few pages; they really didn’t give me as much/any of the trouble I was expecting. I need to re-read it, but I think my favorite part of these seven pages was the opening paragraph with the bats; it just felt very…atmospheric, I think. I think the difference between that opening description and “Izumi is a college student. Izumi works at a part-time job.” also made quite an impact, haha.

(Let me know if I need to spoiler anything or whatnot; it’s tough to tell in these early pages.)

4 Likes

The past tense of 言う to say. “She promptly thought after having said (that)”

I never thought about it as an euphemism, but I guess it counts? something に陥る means literally to fall into something (a trap, a bad situation, a mistake). We use the same expression in French, so I didn’t think about it :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s this one: https://kotobank.jp/word/くすり-483620
So “lightly”.

No, the opposite actually. “ The ‘park of the cape’ and its parking [despite their name] are quite far from the place that would truly be called a cape”.

This means “it is being said that you can get your hand on anything at the night market”. でも is a sort of intensifier that loosely means “even/ever” in this case. どんなもの what (thing) + でも ever -> whatever = anything.

I hope it helps! It’s quite late here and I’m not really thinking straight, so it feels a bit hard to express myself clearly :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Ah, thank you for the explanations, Naphthalene. I was really far off on my fourth question; that one I’ll need to highlight in my copy for future perusal. :thinking: And no worries; your explanations were very clear! There were a few (like でも) I should I have caught myself, but, eh. Thanks again!

3 Likes

Also from jisho:

3 Likes

Finally finished reading with a dictionary. The starting para is so good! And I really like the descriptions of everything. It’s so evocative!

Questions:
Is 裕司 meant to be read ひろし?

Page 7

学校蝙蝠は、町をぐるりとまわりながら自分が町に告げるべきことをつげた。
The end of this sentence is confusing me. I can’t help but read it like it’s announcing that it should announce that the night market is opening…

秋の夕暮れどきの空の下をいずみは歩いていた。
Is this を telling us that she’s walking through the area under sky?

Page 8

殺風景できれいに片付いた部屋に入りつついずみは思った。
Does the つつ here mean “while”? The grammar here feels bizarre, as if there’s a particle missing and the order is jumbled o.O
I’m guessing it’s saying “As she entered, Izumi thought to herself that the room was tasteless but tidy”

3 Likes

I’ve gotta run, but I can say right off the bat it’s ゆうじ. Only reason I know is because the home thread mentions it, haha.

4 Likes

Ah, missed that, thanks :flushed:

Kanji names with no furigana are just cruel.

3 Likes

Actually I just put that reading because I know someone in real life with that name. I didn’t even check for other readings. There’s no info about it online :sweat_smile:

Edit: the manga based on the book has furigana and uses ゆうじ

6 Likes
Page 7

Just going for the end of the sentence.

告げる to announce
べき should
こと thing -> things they should announce
を告げた announced

-> They announced the thing they should announce.

VべきことをVた isn’t really a pattern in itself, but you bump into it quite often. It exists in English too! I V-ed what I had to V.

Yes, that’s the second use of the を particle, mostly for movement verbs.

Page 8

Yes, that’s the meaning of つつ. However, the part
殺風景できれいに片付いた部屋に
qualifies 入り. It’s not what she thinks. If you remove it, the meaning is clearer:
入りつつ、いずみは思った。As she entered, Izumi thought.
What did she think? Tune in next week sentence to find out! And yes, that’s not the most grammatically correct way to go about it, but it does add some tension. It’s frequently used when there’s going to be a reveal or something like that. It’s kinda like in manga/anime when you get a reaction shot of the character but don’t see yet what they are seeing.

6 Likes