Week 4 11 March 2023
Chapter 8 to 10
End page 75
Page count 20
Last week Click!
Next week Click!
Home Thread Click!

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have read this part.”

11 Likes

I know I probably could’ve just skipped mostly over the bubble on pg 58…

Guessing 山井さん’s name is a play on 病む + 恋, so from the same kanji as ヤンデレ

pg 58

The specifics of anything she was saying here really don’t matter, but I really wanted to know what kind of ahem colorful language she was using :laughing:

thankful this is obviously 隣 from context because I would never be able to decipher this. I’m still looking at it and doubting myself a bit even though I know it must be

panel below that also tripped me up for a bit until I realized 話しかける was its own whole verb

なじみ has such a wonderful chaotic energy, especially loved the very last panel on pg 75

10 Likes

I like Najimi and I especially like that her (his?) name is actually an easy pun for once, so that beginners like me can also get them :laughing: Well with 幼馴染 and 長名なじみ directly after each other in a sentence it’s hard not to notice but まあいいか

Yeah, she went all out with that, if I wouldn’t know anything else of this manga and just read that I would think 古見様 is some kind of cult leader haha. The left speech bubble is easier to read though… カスカスカスカス (“scum”)!Yamai seems to be a very nice person :slightly_smiling_face: But for real poor Tadano, he just wanted to help :,(

p. 74

I had to read this mutliple times to be sure I didn’t misread it and to make sure I actually know what I think it means. Tadano and Nijimi seem be very close friends based on their humor, or Najimi is just a very open person, or both?

Edit:

I think (やまい) is even an actual word so it would make sense! Where did you get 恋 from though? I didn’t see her last name if it was from that?

8 Likes

oh, her first name is 恋 (れん) from spread before the 1st chapter (edit: nevermind apparently not, we don’t know her first name yet officially, but that is what it is :laughing:)

But she is, however, definitely ヤンデいる

6 Likes

恋病こいやまい in itself is a word for “lovesickness”. As far as I remember, most names in the manga (or well, in my case, the anime) don’t need to be modified at all to get the actual meaning, though her’s does some gymnastics with changing the reading of her first name and the kanji for the second

4 Likes

This got me stuck for a bit, and even know I’m not sure if I’m correct on this (p59):

That bit between なに and 上 is her ear, right? It has pretty much the same colour as the part separating the background from the text, which made me think it was a piece of very oddly shaped text. But I do think it’s just a very unfortunately placed ear.

7 Likes

Looks right to me - just a comma in the space.

3 Likes
p63

so what’s “いえずす!” a reference to? “鉄腕歩き” is clearly “鉄腕DASH”, but can’t get the former.

5 Likes

The pun in Najimi’s name is one of the less subtle ones, and is specifically brought up in dialogue, but it’s 幼なじみ

We gonna talk about the girl chatting with Yamai on pages 56-57 who’s apparently wearing vambraces, gauntlets and greaves?

Jesus? Dunno.

English version by Viz doesn’t even bother translating - Najimi says “Did you like it?” However, the other guy still replies “Najimi! Don’t say the title out loud!”

6 Likes

Ah yes, I’ve almost completely forgotten about Najimi’s, let’s just say “edgy” humour. Seems to me like their original design is even more androgenous than how it was adapted into the anime.

I think she will come up some day, but like way later on.
As last week’s part said, the students are generally weird. More danganronpa than regular students.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, gauntlet girl will be back at some point. One of the coolest things about re-reading this series is realizing that most of the characters who get “introduced” way later in the series have really just always been there in the background, but we haven’t gotten the privilege of hanging out with them yet.

I wasn’t sure about いえずす!either

7 Likes

And the anime just calls it “Jaysus”.

If it’s a reference to anything, it’s going by me. Could just be a throwaway title. I similarly don’t know if the TV program title mentioned on the same page is supposed to be a reference.

That’s the issue with pop-culture references that aren’t overt. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

It is, that’s why I think the second one is. But I have no clue, what.

6 Likes

Yeah, ok, I googled a bit for more information.

So, I just read volume 21 in English last week. In the first chapter of the volume, a character shows up fairly prominently, and I was going “huh? who’s this? I have no memory of her”. Turns out, that’s gauntlet girl. Also turns out to be the first time her face and given name appear in the manga proper. In volume 21! No wonder I had no memory of who she was.

(Her full name had appeared previously in character polls, and her family name appears in an omake in volume three, but yeah.)

6 Likes

I just saw that there are five years between the creation of the manga and the anime. That surprises me because the manga reads a lot like a storyboard for the anime to me, including the 前回のあらすじ at the start of this week’s reading that is literally the start of the second episode of the anime, right? Very much written with an anime adaption in mind, me thinks :smile:

4 Likes

A lot of manga gets adapted basically word for word. Especially this sort of high school manga, because you wouldn’t really fill in sections with more dialog. As an example, both Kaguya and Horimiya are like this most of the time, with some additional unadapted manga moments.

4 Likes

Nice chapters, the main characters are appearing!

Small spoiler from future chapters

Chadano first sighting!

4 Likes

I have a short questoin about page 63

Page 63

ああ、鉄腕歩きね。リーダーの散歩はさすがゆるくていいよね。
So I think this means: Ahh, [it was] a strong walk, right? The stroll of the leader was weak as expected, right?
What are they talking about? Sports? Is my translation correct?

2 Likes
p63

They are talking about a TV show, “鉄腕歩き”. It’s a reference to “鉄腕DASH”. I don’t know the show, but I’d assume a DASH is something like a challenge? You would need to research that, but I doubt, that it’s important.

5 Likes