今日 missing こんにち pronunciation

I probably lost a burn because WK doesn’t accept こんにち for 今日. The least it could do is the little shake “that’s not what we’re looking for” thing instead of marking this valid pronunciation wrong.

A shake should be fine, but I feel like こんにち and 今日 aren’t the same words anymore, even if they derived from the same root, so I understand why they’d deny こんにち as a response

Would you want to burn it with こんにち as your first thought?

12 Likes

If you’re in a conversation and you start a sentence with こんにちは(土曜日です or whatever), odds are you’re going to get a listener who’s confused as to why you’ve decided to say “hello” again even though you’ve been talking for the last five minutes. You don’t need to remember that 今日 can arguably be read as こんにち, what you need is for きょう to be the first thing that immediately springs to mind.

8 Likes

Hey mdchachi! I responded to your email about this subject. I tend to agree with the other users who commented before me about きょう being the first reading that should come to mind, since it is such a common word, but I am going to bring this up to the content team so they can take a look at it as well.

-Nick at WK

3 Likes

That’s not going to happen because I don’t speak in kanji or even imagine kanji when I speak. :wink:

I don’t disagree that きょう is the primary pronunciation. Regardless, I think it should be consistent with most other entries regarding the “shake.” Also, depending on what one is reading it’s certainly possible that meaning and pronunciation (2) will be encountered.

Wanikani used to have 今日はこんにちは as a vocabulary item and they took it away because it was causing too much confusion for beginners.
Jisho still says “Wanikani level 3” next to it at the moment: Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

I think marking こんにち wrong for 今日 is a good idea because the reading きょう is used in everything. If that isn’t the first thing that jumps to mind when you see those kanji then you need more reviews. Wanikani’s way of giving more reviews is to mark the item wrong.

I’m curious to know if the reading こんにち is used anywhere in native media that doesn’t use furigana to make the reading clear.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.