That awkward moment when

When you’re reviewing your first level 4 kanji, and the new kanji are still pretty wobbly in your mind except for one, yet with the first review you get everything correct except for the only kanji you were pretty confident with because it uses こおり instead of こうり :woman_facepalming:

27 Likes

I know the feeling haha

3 Likes

And it never goes away.

2 Likes

:pleading_face: :cry: :sob:

1 Like

Say hello to my little leech friend, 氷、wait no 水. No, 泳.

20 Likes

氷 水 ← I didn’t even confuse the two for each-other xD (not yet at least!)

1 Like

にん vs じん for 人 are killers for me right now :disappointed:

2 Likes

Yeah, I totally failed burning the 氷 radical too, but I mixed it up with 求… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

When you think you know how to deal with words that have 日 in them, but they have a completely different reading all of a sudden.

Looking at you 一昨日, yeah.

4 Likes

今日 (きょう), not to be confused with 今日は (こんにちは)
一日 (いちにち or ついたち)
yeah… 日 is a fun kanji :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t know what it is. They’re so similar. I just imagine the drop radical as a drop of water, and that seems a lot more water like than ice. I shouldn’t be telling you this because now I’m just gonna make it confusing for you.

3 Likes

Not that’s hard to memorize, but it does have many faces.

Seems it got a bunch of special readings with names as well.

How about 永?

2 Likes

But then again there could be times when you are talking about something that happens today and want to say 今日は(きょうは)… Albeit WK will always ask for こんにちは. :smiley:

1 Like

This is how I remembered it

6 Likes

It felt like an eternity, but finally somebody found the water.

@Lattemeowcchiato That joke certainly is memorable. And the manga seems funny. What one is it?

1 Like

Azumanga daioh! It’s full of light hearted humor

1 Like

I just made this exact mistake and saw this thread afterwards. Talk about fate

2 Likes

Yep, level 12 is particularly bad for that one!

1 Like

I saw a suggestion to think of にん is more temporary, while じん is more permanent - i.e. びょうにん is (hopefully) temporary, while じんこうis forever. Not a strict rule, but it has helped me get a few pesky kanji guru’d

4 Likes