Start Date: 31st August
Last Week: Chapter 0 Part 3
Next Week: Chapter 1 Part 2

一週間フレンズ Home Thread

Last dialogue bubble of page 66 for eBook readers:
無理して友達になろうとしなくていいから

Part of the Beginner Book Club!

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn and someone else will probably be grateful you asked!

• People usually find that they engage with and enjoy the discussion much more if they don’t read ahead, though of course it’s up to you :wink:

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

4 Likes

Here’s a thumbnail compilation of this week’s reading (top to bottom, right to left), in case it helps my fellow e-readers see where the stopping point is:

9 Likes

I’m a bit behind, but… helloooooooo?

2 Likes

I haven’t finished reading the whole thing too… but I’m gonna ask questions about parts I’m not quite sure:

page 50

In here, how do I interpret 進級 ? Am I right that it means “I have known Fujimiya Kaori for about 4 months”?

page 53

On the right balloon, I have understood it as “Really, even as a man, I’m tearing up”
But I don’t understand what he means on the left balloon. I probably understand what he was saying as “Fujimiya’s crying face was hard to see, but I feel relieved” (the よかった part is really hard to translate within context :sweat_smile:) I can’t comprehend what Hase wants to say by this ?

2 Likes

進級 = promotion (from whichever school grade they were before to what they are now). And it’s “since April” (i.e when the 進級 ocurred). “For four months” is 4ヶ月.

Don’t forget it’s past tense. Her crying face was better than what she’s got on now (i.e. nothing).

Aye, I’m a bit behind too. So many words.

4 Likes

I feel like I messed up the breaks for each week quite a bit because I didn’t appreciate just how much more dense the 4-koma pages were. Week 2 was absolutely brutal and then Week 3 is a breeze in comparison.

1 Like

It’s not too late to change it for future weeks. Maybe count the yonkoma pages as two pages each when considering splits.

I’ll take a look - do you think I should change it for Week 4/5 (chapter 1) as well? I just feel bad that week 2 was so much D:

Not sure you can do much for this chapter besides split it into three, and even then the middle third is mostly free-form panels. Counting each yonkoma strip as its own page, we’re reading 25 “pages” this week and 24 next week.

Oh, okay - that’s alright then if it’s fairly even. Looks like some of the future chapters can be adjusted though.

Oh I see :hushed: but I can’t understand the context where he’s coming from (do I need to reread the whole thing again…)

Yeah I’m on page Fujimiya is explaining the beauty of math and had to reread several times :sob:

3 Likes

Ok, finished the reading, but I probably did my usual trick of “yep, got the gist, moving on”…

5 Likes

I had a wedding and holiday things this last week, so I didn’t have nearly as much time to read as normal, but I’m finally finished! It was indeed a lot of reading.

3 Likes

I’m finally finished! It was a lot of rereading. I had my phases of reading bits by bits during the week, and just completely forget it. So I reread the whole thing today :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’m behind on reading, and was hoping to get caught up today, but then I encountered this:

Hidden for image size

The furigana’s actually easier to read in this screenshot on my desktop computer than it is on my ereader. Looks like I’ll read this panel at the computer.

The panel before this one has a better example of unreadable furigana, but I didn’t screenshot that one. One day, all new digital manga will have clear furigana. This is my dream for the future. Otherwise, I’ll just have to learn more kanji (and that requires effort on my part).

Once I finish reading, I’ll be sure to read through all the topics here to see if anyone’s already covered anything I was unsure of =D

4 Likes

I think many here relate to Hase’s dialogue (the left one) after all those wordssss

although I do agree on what Fujimiya is basically saying. Math is fun!

1 Like