レンタルおにいちゃん - Week 1 Discussion (Absolute Beginners Book Club)

Finished week 1
First time reading Japanese and I started to learn grammar a couple of weeks ago when I decided to join this book club.
It is a little slow going, but with this forum it is possible and fun.
So thank you all for the information, vocab list and grammar explanations! Big thank to @ChristopherFritz for organizing the book club and the detailed replies!

11 Likes

I also found the verb 叶う which means „to come true“.

Cheers! Where did you buy your physical copy from? I thought it was only available online

Week 2 reading thread is up! Click here to go there.

7 Likes

Page 6

Does anyone know the “ふゆ…” in the cell where Kanami says “なんでも…” is suppose to indicate?

ふゆ means winter, but I don’t understand the context. Is the idea of “Anything” making here freeze, like winter would? Did something happen last winter? Is she wanting something that will happen in winter?

1 Like

My guess is it’s a sigh.

Could be a sigh, as @tomwamt says, or it could be a soft “wow”. I mean, she just been offered pretty much anything she likes. Also, could be ふゅ but could also be ふゎ.

1 Like

I interpret this like a “hm…”. The three dots next to it and Kanami repeating the “なんでも…” that おにいちゃん just said, seem to indicate that she’s thinking about it.

I couldn’t find anything on The Jaded Network for either ふゆ or ふゅ but there is an entry for ふわ

7 Likes

I got it from CDJapan as it seemed much easier to purchase from abroad than Amazon. I just did regular airmail. Took eight or nine days to arrive here in the UK. See the original thread for this reading group for the link.

1 Like

Great! Many thanks for the info!

While google translate helps me understand the gist, I don’t fully trust it with the detailed parts of the translation.

2 Likes

I fully agree with that. I was just suggesting that if you were just looking at how to say a number:counter combination (e.g. 3冊, 3匹 or 10分) it might be a useful resource as it will give the romaji for the reading in its translation.

I must admit I thought I’d tried it with 4個 before I recommended it but on going back and trying again it just gives me “4-ko” for 4個 - which is not very helpful!!

Ichi.moe looks like it’s a safer bet. For the three examples above it gives me the following:

4個 - よんこ
3冊 - さんさつ
3匹 - さんびき
10分 - じゅっぷん

3 Likes

I also noticed a big font change towards the end, starting on page 10, and popping up on 11 with Kanami’s お金です, and then again on 12 with her ただいま. I’m not sure how to interpret it, though - does it come off as a more formal typeface? Page 10 is a message on the phone noting the end of the rental, right? And then Kanami offering the payment on page 11 is business-only, and then maybe on page 12 Kanami is also ただいま-ing in a formal, heart’s-not-in-it kind of way when she gets home? (This is my first-ever manga, so I find all this fascinating!)

2 Likes

What each of these changes in font represent can be somewhat subjective, but I mostly agree with your interpretations.

On page 10. The bigger font I believe, represents that the lines are being spoken in a more firm and in a higher volume than casual conversation since things have changed from that to a business transaction; Kanami replies in a similar tone when handing over the money for the same reason.

Regarding the ただいま, I’m not really sure if there’s any implication that she’s hesitant or that she doesn’t have her heart in it; at least her facial expression doesn’t seem to denote any of that. The most simple explanation from my point of view is that she’s saying this in a louder voice because it’s pretty normal to announce your arrival in a way that’s easier for people in the house to hear no matter if they aren’t close to the entrance.

4 Likes

Ah! That makes perfect sense - thanks!

where did u guys get the manga?

Generally for book clubs, the first post in the home thread has links to different ways to get the books.
Here’s the one for レンタルおにいちゃん

3 Likes

hi all…where do I buy this book so I can follow along? Thanks

1 Like

Welcome to the Wanikani forums! If you follow this link it will take you to the home thread for this book club. At the bottom of the opening post are links to purchasing digital or physical copies of the book.

1 Like