レンタルおにいちゃん Volume 3

Hello friends, it feels good to be among you once again!

I hadn’t got the chance of reading Vol.2 in Japanese with you (because I tried to go with the “official” ABBC but failed miserably), but I went through it in English so I can read Vol.3 along with the schedule.

Bear in mind though, that although I have caught up with the history, my grammar is very rusty since I missed all those points/discussions that came up in Vol.2, so sorry in advance if I’m being too beginner at this point! :bowing_man:

With that out of the way… here I go!

Page 3

レンタルでいいから

(Yes, that’s my level of rustiness at this point.)

How does this sentence work? More specifically, what is the でいい in this sentence?

I loosely translated as Because the rental is good… but only based on the context.

Page 8

()こっか

What is the っか here? Is this some small tsu っ magic that I’m missing?

Again I loosely translated as Let’s go?.

Page 11

叶実(かなみ)(たの)しめる場所(ばしょ)調(しら)べたんだけど

What is the purpose of the けど at the end of the sentence? Jisho gives me “but; however; although”, but I could not fit any of these meanings here.

For my translation, I just ignored it an went with: I looked up a place where Kanami can enjoy herself.

5 Likes

The nice thing about getting the same grammar questions from volume 2 is, anyone who learned the grammar in volume 2’s discussion gets to review it reading volume 3’s discussion. It’s like “book club SRS” =D

Page 3

「[noun]でいい」 typically holds a meaning of “[noun] is fine” or “[noun] is okay”.

For example, if someone asks you what you would like to drink, you can say, 「(みず)でいい」 meaning “water is fine”.

Note that this can have a compromising feel to it, like you’re settling for one thing rather than having something else. “I could ask for something that takes effort to prepare, such as coffee or tea, but I’ll settle for water.”

At the end of volume 2, Makoto said Kanami doesn’t have to rent him. She can just call him casually, and he can become her strength. Kanami turned down the offer, because she wasn’t able to make her brother happy by relying on Makoto. Thus, she believes she needs to try harder on her own. She finished by saying it’s wrong for her to rent, prompting Makoto to say he wants to rent time with Kanami, at least through the end of summer

Volume 3 begins with the final line of volume 2:

「レンタルでいいから(おれ)(そば)にいてほしい」

Recall, Makoto wanted to be able to be by Kanami’s side casually, but she turned this down. So now it’s 「レンタルでいい」, “a rental would be fine”. In this scene, there is this compromising feel to it. “I’d like you to be comfortable relying on me as a friend, but I’ll settle for using a rental so I can be there for you.”

At least, that’s my take on it. If anyone else reads it differently, be sure to let us know! (I am, after all, still very much a learner myself.)

Page 8

This is a case of 「行こうか」 colloquially coming out as 「行こっか」. He probably spoke it with a shorter お vowel sound, and a bit more of a stop before the か.

I would translate this volitional as, “Shall we go?”

Page 11

Often you’ll see a word like “but” joining two clauses, where the first clause has an expected outcome, yet the second clause conveys the actual outcome is something different.

“The weather report said it would rain, but there hasn’t been a cloud in the sky all day.”

“I adopted a second cat to keep my first cat company, but they don’t like each other.”

“I bought a new computer, but my old monitor can’t plug into it.”

In each of these cases, you can leave the second clause off, ending with a “but…” that the listener uses to infer the expected outcome did not occur.

“The weather report said it would rain, but…” (Inference: It did not rain.)

“I adopted a second cat to keep my first cat company, but…” (Inference: The second cat is not keeping the first cat company.)

“I bought a new computer, but…” (Inference: There’s something wrong with the new computer.)

Wait, that’s an English grammar lesson. Let’s talk 日本語 (but in English).

You get the exact same usage in Japanese with けど.

Here, we have the first sentence:

叶実かなみたのしめる場所ばしょ調しらべたんだ」

Meaning, “I looked up places you would enjoy.”

If we stick a but けど on there and trail off, then we get the sense that even though Makoto 調しらべたed some たのしめる場所ばしょ for Kanami, the result was that these were not たのしめる場所ばしょ for her.

“I looked up places you would enjoy, but… (it seems you did not enjoy them.)”

The part in parenthesis is implied by ending in けど. That けど carries a lot of weight!

4 Likes

Well now, look what just came up in my reading for today…

i_0237

3 Likes

Being able to understand sentences like this is what makes learning Japanese even more exciting for me =D

That is awesome! On the same note, even though I pretty much didn’t study any Japanese grammar nor did almost any reading since Vol.1, being able to recognize almost everything that came up in this week’s content was an awesome feeling!

Thanks for the very inspiring answer @ChristopherFritz, I’ll be sure to never miss joining a book club you’re in ever again :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I´m so glad I´m not the only one suffering here… :exploding_head:

One question for now!

Page 21

夏場やし腐らせるん勿体ないから

I´m struggling a bit with the grammar here. How does 腐らせるん and 勿体ない connect if the latter is an adjective? I would have expected a て form after the causative. Moreover, what´s the specific nuance of the し with regards to the causative? In other words, how different are these two sentences?

1. 夏場やし腐らせるん勿体ないから

2. 夏場は腐らせるん勿体ないから

Would a は maybe be too vague here for the purpose of the sentence?

Many thanks in advance!

1 Like

My understanding is that 夏場やし is actually 夏場だし after the Kansai-ben transformations. The し is the particle used to give reasons ( Bunpro link, Tae-Kim link )

So, 夏場だし is a separate sentence, which is giving a reason for what happens in the next part of the sentence: 腐らせる. Since it’s summer time, it will cause (the food) to rot.

After 腐らせる we have an ん. This is an abbreviation of の, which is turning all the things we previously mentioned into a noun. “The fact (that since it’s summer, and that will cause the food to rot)” is what is being described by the adjective 勿体ない (a waste)".

So basically she’s saying that it’d be a waste to let this food rot, and being summer time, it’s probably going to rot if they don’t eat it.

夏場は腐らせるん勿体ないから

This sentence makes 夏場 the topic. It feels strange since the actual topic is the excess of food (implicitly from the previous panels). Maybe if we use が:

夏場が腐らせるん勿体ないから

Now summer time is the subject that performs the action 腐らせる. I guess this works grammatically, though it lost the point where 夏場 was being specified as a reason, and now it feels more like a neutral observation. That’s my impression at least…

4 Likes

Will I ever stop reading this thread title as レンタルおじいちゃん and getting my hopes dashed? Tune in next week.

2 Likes

4 Likes

If おじさまと猫 were to become the only manga in existence, I think I’d be pretty satisfied.

2 Likes

Ahh, of course, I hadn´t noticed it! Many thanks for all your breakdown!

So in the original sentence:

夏場やし腐らせるん勿体ないから

Is 夏場やし in fact the subject of 腐らせる? In that case, how come a cause construction can perform an action? (Sorry for my lack of understanding here :pray:)

1 Like

Even though it should say something like 夏場やし、(夏場が食べ物を) 腐らせる, Japanese in general will omit anything that can be inferred from context, specially in an informal conversation like this one.

Unless I’m missing something, I believe that’s what’s happening here.

2 Likes

I assure you, I’ve never (knowingly) seen it written this way before this past week.

08_845211_846647_1_145_001x

⇧ In my manga reading for today.

3 Likes

Ahh, so I see! Many thanks again!

And by the way, great catch that one! I´d never thought I´d see the nominalizer の abbreviated to ん. Maybe another Kansai trait

1 Like

You’ll find this is common in normal Japanese.

Now that you’re aware of it, prepare to see this all the time.

You’ll especially see a lot of のだ become んだ.

1 Like

Ahh, so even a のは or のを can take ん! :ok_hand: I thought it was only restricted to the んだ. Great to know.

Btw, is that “Orange”? It´s one of my favourite mangas! Maybe that´s way I could be having a hallucination here, but I happen to see Naho at the front and Azu and Takako at the back. (Sorry everyone for the momentary cross-reference)

I believe it depends on the sound that follows the の/ん, so those specific combinations might not be a thing. (I hadn’t seen them that I know of.)

The reason I haven’t started reading “orange” yet is because the cast looks so much like the cast of アオハライド, which is what this is =D

Here’s me commenting on orange in the アオハライド thread:

This is the male lead from アオハライド

08_846647_846647_1_151_001x

He’s the one on the right. On the left is one of their teachers.

2 Likes

Last one for this week!

Page 28

なんとかしなきゃって

I sooo struggle with these って. I´ve now more or less got the habit of referring them to an implicit quotation (thought, feeling, etc.) but I always also tend to confuse them with the って which can also serve as は. Is the former the case here? As in:

[I feel-think, etc. that] I have to do something

Many thanks!

1 Like

Two days and no reply? Maybe everyone’s been as busy as I have…

When you see って (or と) for quoting, it’s often followed by ()う or (おも)う. In some cases, when it’s clear from context, the 言う or 思う may be left off.

Without being cut off, I expect her line would read:

• 「なんとかしなきゃ」って思った

• I thought, “I have to do something.”

Note that it’s not necessarily a direct quote of what she exactly previously thought, but rather is an indirect quote to express the mindset she had over trying to help restore her brother to his former self.

Edit: I just noticed I completely forgot about the “って as は” question by the time I was able to reply.

In English, we can say “speaking of …”, which is effectively setting the topic of the conversation. って can do the same in Japanese. As for how to tell if that’s happening or not…I need more experience to say.

2 Likes

Week 3: Pages 29–40

Start Date: 2021-02-25T15:00:00Z

This week finishes up the レンタル大吾の母 story arc.

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.

0 voters

2 Likes

Ahh that was the key to it! Many thanks!! :pray: :smile:

1 Like