ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon 🐲 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

The earliest ない is actually on page 5 :stuck_out_tongue:

(And I can’t find it on page 9 either.)

3 Likes

For verbs, I personally like to include “to” such as “to walk”, the same as WaniKani does. But I don’t know how often others do that.

This was an error of the text parser. Hopefully one of few!

I went ahead and removed the line as ない isn’t used here.

Edit: The text parser has to be able to recognize the base form of words (such as ()こう => ()く). It probably saw a な and mistook it for ない.

4 Likes

Looks like I never learn

I was thinking I shouldn’t do that so I could get it to be as close to how I would translate it in context. Should I not?

For example ねえ見てこれ = Hey, look at this
So I thought to put “Look” instead of “To look”

3 Likes

I think the highest authority for what to put is the Guidelines tab (which was originally written long ago for a much earlier club pick, and refined over time):

(I probably should have consulted the guidelines first thing…!)

Note that you don’t have to look up everything in Jisho if you know what it means (or in our case, if we have the Wiktionary version visible to work off of). The idea is to maintain consistency, which for verbs looks like it would be to include “to”.

Edit: And any vocabulary sheet help is always appreciated!

4 Likes

I’m not sure I completely understand the title yet without context, but I think this is probably 関係ない instead of 関係, right?

2 Likes
Somewhat spoiler of 1st chapter contained in this answer

Yes, I understood it as irrelevant or “Doesn’t matter” due to how everyone around Ruri had very accepting attitudes towards the horns

Got it. I’ll be doing as much as I can

3 Likes

The text parser I used (Juman++) always separates ない, which is why it’s shown without ない here.

For verbs and adjectives, we always use the base form. For example, if the word is ()べません, we’d use ()べる.

But 関係(かんけい)ない acts a bit more like an expression, so personally I don’t see an issue with changing it to include ない. (I don’t know how that’s been handled in prior club reads. I’m fine with not overthinking it.)

It’s updated now! If it still says “pending”, refresh the page and it should have the download available.

5 Likes

Just finished doing most of week 1, left two of them undone though

4 Likes

That irony :laughing:

Thanks so much! :hugs:

11 Likes

With over 70,000 entries extracted from Wiktionary (after tons of pruning), I may have missed a few crazy entries =P

4 Likes

@ChristopherFritz So it turned out to be easier to do than I thought, I was actually thinking prior to today, that I wouldn’t fill out anything. Went ahead and did the first 3 weeks, and there were only a few parsing errors per week, I fixed one of them but left the rest because I either didn’t know what it was picking up, or it was picking up something useless like a SFX.

I think it’s a great way to approach these lists, though I feel like it missed a couple vocabulary that might have been good to add. Maybe we can add some more…?

2 Likes

What are you using the frequency spreadsheet for?
Do you use it to determine whether a word is important enough to learn it?

3 Likes

Wait so it there a way ‘download all the text’ from the manga? As someone who’s transcribing the entire thing line by line, if I actually had all the lines in front of me already and all I had to do was translate it, it would save a tremendous amount of time.

3 Likes

The current state of AI:

No. ChristopherFritz has been using a fairly complicated script to OCR and parse the text. There was a whole thread about it, somewhere. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

I’d consider it two or three books down the line. For now it might be spending more time than it’s worth.

1 Like

Maybe it knows something we don’t

2 Likes

Also can I just say as a general point, regarding future ABBC books: I don’t mind what we do so long as the actual content is good. Regardless of whatever debates may occur with regard to book difficulty, pacing, medium etc., above everything else, the content itself being enjoyable is the key. I’m sure most people like me are learning japanese as a hobby, so you’ll relate that the work I’m putting in is a means to an end to have fun, so making the work itself fun too is a prioritisation. I’ve been learning for 13 months now, and the only time I quit was when someone told me my learning method was wrong, so I stopped for 3 months. I ended up deciding to go back to the method I loved, even though others called it inefficient, and I’ve been on fire learning jp ever since. Efficiency is great but I really don’t value it more than enjoyability, even if it’s longer.

I’m absolutely loving the story of ルリドラゴン so far now that I’m approaching page 30, so I’d love for us to have an emphasis on ‘what’s going to be the most interesting’ when focusing on our next selection, which we already do of course, but I just wanted to offer my two cents.

5 Likes

For having tried to join an ABBC at WK level 6 and zero grammar, I can tell you that I disagree:) it was a manga I was really looking forward to, but it was way too brutal. I’m hoping this time will be easier.

4 Likes

Given that this is my 4th attempt at an ABBC, I can certainly relate to a large degree. But I guess it juat depends how much you’re looking to get out of it, and what one can get out of it given their method and approach. If you were hoping to learn grammar from scratch through an ABBC, I can see the demerits, but I think most people joining us will have at least some grammar knowledge, and a lot of people aren’t joining with the expectation of knowing/learning absolutely everything :slight_smile:

The main point I was just trying to make is that, in a reasonable situation when choosing fun over efficiency, I’d personally go with fun. I’d rather get there slower if the journey is better :grinning:

3 Likes

As a side note, thanks to all the organizers of book clubs past and present - I’m using your threads as an inspiration while writing the first two posts of the weekly thread. Especially thanks to @Micki, @NicoleIsEnough and @MrGeneric who had some major influence. :slight_smile:

5 Likes