ハイキュー・Haikyuu! 🏐 Vol. 3

@BarelyFragile @sycamore Thank you both for your recommendations and advice! It makes total sense to look at the other beginner book club titles at similar difficulty.

Very true. I was struggling to find stuff to keep my interest. Then I thought about what series I know or enjoy as much as Haikyuu. So I’m gonna give 月刊少女野崎くん (Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun) a shot.

I really appreciate hearing this advice—especially the part about increasing stamina. I often gloss over tweets in Japanese at the first instance of a word I don’t know, and that’s been defating the purpose of following Japanese Twitter accounts for practice. I gotta train this brain muscle to not give up at the first sign of difficulty. So working with things that capture my interest makes sense.

3 Likes

Another recommendation would be 暁のヨナ, and I think there’s a book club going for it on the forums too. I don’t know how much time you spend on the forums but people often post about books they want to read. Even if you don’t plan to keep up with the book club, it’s a good way to pick up recommendations.

Once you get to a point where you’re reading a lot regularly, I’d also say that you don’t have to wait around to start a manga that you know you like enough to finish. I try the first volume of many things and decide it’s not for me, but at least it gives me reading practice in genres I wouldn’t otherwise explore.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, vol 4 thread is up → ハイキュー・Haikyuu! 🏐 Vol. 4+5
I just asked the mods to make it a wiki, so there’d be a day or two delay before you can add or modify the post.

It’s soo cool that we’re almost wrapping up vol 3 and going to 4. Big kudos to all :raised_hands:!!

6 Likes

I made a sign up sheet for Chapter 25 and the extra comic (ngl, mainly so I could pinch Kenma - though I’m happy to share!). These’s a lot of minor/background characters or characters only speaking for a couple of lines, so might need to do some doubling up. I know that we don’t generally put the narrator as a separate character but given that there A LOT at the start I thought it made sense!

4 Likes

Thank you for jumping on the character sheet!

I was gonna do the same thing when I saw the start of the chapter. Good call :+1:

1 Like

Hello thread-lurkers!

A reminder that 2021-07-17T19:00:00Z, the Haikyuu book club will watch episodes from the anime that correspond to the chapters we read in volume 3. Join us in the Discord server!

Next week, we’ll be reading aloud chapters 26 and 27 in volume 4. A perfect time to join the club and read with us. We’ll post sign-up sheets for character parts and continue our club discussions over in the volume 4 forum thread. We’d love to see you there.

4 Likes

That sounds good! I’m gonna join. just for Haikyuu characters!

3 Likes

Welcome, welcome @terribright !

Come join us in the most recent thread: ハイキュー・Haikyuu! :volleyball: Vol. 6
We just finished the volume and are going to watch the related episodes from the anime this weekend. Then we’ll start volume 7 (and a new thread) the week after.

1 Like