ハイキュー・Haikyuu! 🏐 (Beginner Book Club)

so, me following along with shimeji simulation did not work that well. not so much the grammar, but there were so many unknown words that I Iost my motivation. But I will try again with haikyuu and join. last time, I managed 3 weeks, so this times at least 4 weeks of reading a long is a must xD. It might be easier as the anime is on netflix as well… :grin:

1 Like

seanblue made a room for haykyu in the read aloud server join here → Japanese Book Club

I wasn’t planning on reading this one, but since I don’t have any other book clubs upcoming and don’t spend a lot of time on active studying at the moment, I decided to join anyways. This is the first time in my life I voluntarily bought the ebook version of something since I’m still unsure if I’ll enjoy Haikyu, but I think if I decide to keep reading this series I’ll get a paperback copy of the first volume as well when I order the next volume.

1 Like

I’m super excited for this, I’ve been meaning to read Haikyuu but reading it in English felt like somewhat a missed opportunity to improve my Japanese, and I couldn’t find the motivation to read the original by myself!

1 Like

I might join this one, would be the first book club for me. I’ve read a few other manga, mainly several volumes of Non Non Biyori and I’ve also (semi-successfully) struggled with some short novels; my grammar is pretty terrible, but going slightly out of comfort zone is why we are here, amirite?
So I’ll try and get it till the 12th, but I might have to join in slightly late…we’ll see how it goes.

2 Likes

I never joined a bookclub before, but I’d love to ! I’ve been a big fan of haikyuu for ages but never got the chance to read the first half. It’s a great oportunity since I have to get back to a regular studying schedule.

4 Likes

this will be my first time joining this book club, could someone explain to me how this works please? :slight_smile:

ah okay, thank you, are read alouds recordings or discord calls or some other communication platforms?

i’ll close the day poll in a week. small note the days are EST thus saturday EST will be saturday and sunday in japan time.

Since shimeji is over(for me), I’m closing the day poll in a few days

This will be my first time doing a book club and might be a bit of a struggle based on my current reading abilities, but this looks like a lot of fun! I’m in. :smiley:

4 Likes

took me long enough but i just bought the first 3 volumes!

4 Likes

i’m closing the day poll. by chance, the hour poll has the correct date, for now the winner is 19/dec 3pm est or 19/dec 8pm GMT, 20/dec 5am(19/dec 29:00) JST
2020-12-19T20:00:00Z

anyhow, we can always talk about the next read aloud, in the read aloud

I’m excited to join! This’ll be my first book club. I’ve only been reading Tobira’s reading excerpts and Yotsubato! up until now, but both of those are fairly easy, so hopefully my reading level will be OK for this. I have good grammar knowledge but struggle with vocab and casual speech. I taught in a Japanese high school and often watched the various sports clubs practice, so maybe that’ll give me some context clues - haha. 楽しみにしてる〜:star:

3 Likes

welp, what a better time to improve the latter and start improving the former.

That’s what I figure. As they say, the best time to start improving something was yesterday, and the second best time is today!

This should be be the perfect opportunity to shore up my weak points while reading something I think I’ll enjoy. Hopefully I’ll be able to help others out with grammar a bit, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all! I just found out about this book club, and Haikyu! might be a good pick to start :slight_smile:
The read aloud in discord sounds like a great idea, pity I can’t join because of the time difference.
Looking forward to contributing!

3 Likes

My books arrived today, now I don’t have any excuse anymore to not read regularly :upside_down_face:
Looking forward a lot to the start this week…

4 Likes

This will be my first time attempting to read something in Japanese that isn’t a children’s book. :upside_down_face: I’ve started to work through the readings and dialogues in Tobira recently, too, which is a level up from Genki, but I think it will be fun to also read something that isn’t just a textbook. :hatching_chick: :sparkles:

Got the volume already, just waiting for the 12th to come around now!

1 Like

expecting this might be too hard for me at this point but going to give it a go as I love haikyu! Worst comes to the worst I will have the book to come back to at a later point :slight_smile:

3 Likes