ドラゴンボールSD (Dragon Ball SD) Home Thread 🐉

Welcome! We start on Oct 31. I will post a link to the discussion thread at that time. Some book clubs have one big discussion thread for the whole book, others have a thread per chapter/week. We’ll play it by ear and decide what we do by the end of the first week. The discussion thread is for questions about grammar and vocab, but also for chatting about the story itself and our experiences reading it. You could always have a look at the discussion thread of a previous book club, such as this one, to get a better idea what to expect. But don’t worry, it’s all super chill :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to start!

1 Like

So I realised I didn’t know what the SD stands for in the title of this manga. For those who are interested it refers to the type of art, drawing the characters short and chubby, and stands for “super deformed”. There’s a similar term called “Chibi”. Here’s the wikipedia article that gives a bit more information:

3 Likes

Right on time for those lucky souls who are in Japan, here is the discussion thread for chapter 1 :partying_face:

1 Like

@Phryne There’s been an update to Cannot edit post with poll - support - Discourse Meta. In short, they think this is a one-off issue that isn’t likely to reoccur, so they’re not going to issue a general fix to the problem. But, if you ask a WaniKani staff member to run “Rebuild HTML” from the post admin menu, it may fix the problem and allow you to edit the post again.

1 Like

Thank you for working through that issue with them! I will see if my one broken post can be rescued (and no more emojis in polls for me!).

2 Likes

@Mods Could you please rebake the main post of this thread and also of this thread? And preferably remove the emoji from the polls when you do?

I solemnly swear never to use emoji in polls again! :smiley:

Thanks to @seanblue for the information, though it looks like the ‘Rebuild HTML’ function can’t resolve the issue as well unfortunately. I’ve tried this with a separate thread by Radish as well as see if converting the post into a wiki would help, but to no avail.

1 Like

Thanks for trying! I ended up just completely removing the poll. Small sacrifice…

That’s unfortunate! :frowning:

Right-o, time to look ahead to the second volume!

Who’s in?
  • Me!
  • I’m not in, I just like clicking polls

0 voters

Do we need a rest week in between volumes?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Shall we stick to the current pace of one chapter a week?
  • Yes
  • No, I want to go slower
  • No, I want to go faster

0 voters

Happy either way regarding rest week, although whether I can start volume 2 on the 30th Jan depends on what happens with shipping.

We could also just wait until you have the volume. This isn’t exactly a huge club lol so I’m sure we’d manage.

1 Like

I am OK with waiting as well. I am not in a hurry. Even though there’s just a few of us, It keeps me on track for reading a bit every week. I am enjoying reading the original in parallel and getting all the meta-jokes

1 Like

I see @Shisckatchegg would like a break. So let’s say we start 6 Feb at the earliest (I am discounting the 5 bonus pages here if that is alright), but if @Micki doesn’t have the books by then, we will leave it to their local postal service.

1 Like

Books arrived! That was quick!

1 Like

6 Feb it is then!

Start date Chapter Page numbers Page count
6 Feb 10 - 大攻防! クリリンVSジャッキー 2-22 20
13 Feb 11 - 大決勝戦‼ 23-40 18
20 Feb 12 - 天下一武道会大騒然!!! 41-58 18
27 Feb 13 - ドラゴンボール争奪戦 59-78 20
6 Mar 14 - 対決! 忍者ムラサキ 79-98 20
13 Mar 15 - マッスルタワーの最期!! 99-116 18
20 Mar 16 - 探そうぜ! ドラゴンボール 117-134 18
27 Mar 17 - 攻撃開始! ブルー将軍 135-152 18
3 Apr 18 - 海賊の亡霊あらわる!? 153-181 19
10 Apr Bonus 183-187 5
1 Like

Thanks for adapting the schedule. Looking forward to starting on the 6th!

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I am interested in reading along for Volume 2. I am an absolute beginner reader, and have been self-learning Japanese for about 8 months. I found your book club after realizing that I still was not up to speed for the beginner’s book club. I just purchased the first 2 volumes, and have been slowly reading through the first. I am not sure if I will be able to catch up by the time you start, but don’t wait on my account, I will get there eventually. I would just like to thank everyone for contributing to the vocab sheet as it has been very helpful when encountering words I do not know yet. I am looking forward to reading with you all!

2 Likes

Yeeeeaaaaah, 頑張って! :muscle:t2:

Worst case scenario, read a bit of the original Dragon Ball in translation and join us with volume 2 of SD right from the start! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like a good plan!