チーズスイートホーム: Week 7 Discussion (Chapters 19-20 [END])

My interpretation is very similar:

心配して => this is 心配する “to worry” in て-form; it just means this is connected to what comes next: "We got worried and… "
のに - although, even though. “Even though we got worried and came back…”
気楽なものね => もの (sometimes abbreviated もん) can be used to indicate dissatisfaction (bunpro grammar point, and jgram explanation ).

It must be preceded by な when it follows a na-adjective, like in this case. So this means that mother is disappointed because they were so worried and then find Chi sleeping without a care in the world.

Putting all this together in somewhat natural English:

“Even though we got worried and came back, (she)'s just being all carefree”.

5 Likes

Thanks to both of you! So I wasn’t too far off with the interpretation I would have gone with. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It feels good to finish a Japanese book for the first time.
After quitting Shirokuma’s thread, I think that Chi’s was easier and more enjoyable for a beginner.
Yes, the story was not really thrilling nor engaging, but it was nice to follow.
I also agree that some parts felt more difficult but thanks to everyone’s explanations, everything went quite well for me.

Thanks @FlamySerpent for running this book club and thanks to everyone who helped !

7 Likes

Well, Chi’s Sweet Home is part of a one day promotion on Bookwalker that got lots of coins back so I ended up getting volume 2. If that thread gets going, I’ll be able to participate~

1 Like

Back in the Week 2 thread, @thislittlefox asked who would join them in reading beyond volume 1, @Abstormal answered with a photo of the whole series and I also went and purchased some of the next volumes.
We could start a dedicated book club (like was done for よつばと!) I guess

1 Like

I would love a spin off! I’m in for sure!
Chi is such a nice read, I can easily do it on top of other group reads.
I’m a very casual reader though, I participate more when talking about the story than the grammar/translation (cause I suck at it XD And parallel read to get the gist myself, so don’t look up as much as others )
But being part of a reading group helps me stay focused and get inspired to get the reading done =)
And I love sharing the experience, it’s much more rewarding than reading alone =^_^=

4 Likes

I fell behind reading this a bit as we got to the end due to life getting busy, but I finally finished today! I really enjoyed reading this book even if I didn’t always understand it and having these discussion threads to look through often helped when I was stuck, so I’m really glad I decided to join in. Thank you so much everyone. :smiley:

I’m looking forward to joining in with the next read, but as far as Chi is concerned I certainly wouldn’t mind joining a spin-off club to read more of the series. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just finished the manga!

When it was first nominated, I was not so thrilled, because there is not a lot of text and it’s a story about a cat (I’m not so fond of cats).

But I really enjoyed reading it, even if I have not all understood.
I bought some of the next volumes because I really want to know more about the future adventures of Chi and her family.

5 Likes

Since multiple people said they wanted to continue reading and because nobody else did it, I created a new club, join me! \o/ (or don’t and I’ll be sad, reading all by myself :crying_cat_face:)

In case you are interested : @thislittlefox @Abstormal @Viridithon @anna_harumaki (not sure this will work as it is an edit :thinking:)

4 Likes

It worked, and I’m in! <3

1 Like

Same. Already read volume 2 in the downtime so it’ll be nice and relaxed to reread it.

I am the master necromancer!
I have finished the first book. Some pages were really hard others were easy. The threads were nice to read along with the vocab sheet.
Not sure how I feel about reading the manga as I had to look up a lot of words. may have to re-read it later. who knows it was really reading.

5 Likes

Does anybody know what おーもりら on page 158 is? I assume ら is だ, but as for the rest…?

And 寝てらー on page 162?

This is completely context-free as I haven‘t read the manga, so :sweat_smile:
Maybe the first one is 大盛り? Also ら is usually used to indicate plural, so „large servings“ maybe??
And I‘m not sure what’s your question about the second one; shouldn’t it mean „sleeping“?

1 Like

Omg that makes so much sense! I had the good sense to try おうもり, but not おおもり :sweat_smile:

As for the second one, I made a typo, it says 寝てらー!

2 Likes

Uh, ok, I’m afraid my knowledge ends here… :sweat_smile:

It seems てら can be used as a contraction of ているわ. I’ve rarely run into it though, and the わ at the end sounds slightly feminine which is weird for dad, but I can’t find any better explanation…

4 Likes

From my understanding, わ at the end of a sentence isn’t necessarily feminine. If it had a rising tone, it would be feminine, but if it’s a falling tone, it just adds emphasis or emotion without being gender specific.

2 Likes