チーズスイートホーム: Vol 2 Week 6 Discussion (Chapters 36-38 + Special menu)

頑張って!
You can do it :slight_smile:

That reminds me that I should re-read vol1 at some point and not skip what Chi says this time ^^’
And also try to understand without the help of the forum’s threads… :thinking:
Maybe later :stuck_out_tongue: #LazyCat

1 Like

Ok, let’s go!
Ch36 here I come:

• (p123) 「チーの予防接種よぼうせっしゅしてもらいに動物病院行どうぶつびょういんくんだよ」
    • チーの予防接種よぼうせっしゅ => “Chi’s vaccination”
    • して => て-form of する (“to do”)
    • もらい => “(asking) to get somebody to do something”
    • に => “for (purpose)”?
    • 動物病院どうぶつびょういんに => “at the veterinary clinic”
    • く => “to go”
    • んだ => explanation
    • よ => emphasis
      => Chi has to go to the vet clinic get her vaccination (not quite literal but I didn’t find a way to forge a proper sentence without changing things a bit.)
  • (p124) 「おかけまえ安全あんぜんチェック」
    => Checking that going out in front [of the building] is safe.?
  • (p125) 「チーいかないもん」
    => Chi won’t go [to the bad place where she was defiled]! (with もん indicating her dissatisfaction)
  • (p126)「いまならささーっとってつかまえられるかも」
    • いま => “now”
    • なら => conditional
    • ささ => onomatopoeia for quick movement (see here or there for instance)
    • つと => quickly
    • って => て-form of 行く (“to go”)
    • つかまえられる => from 捕まえる (“to catch”)
    • かも => “might”
      => If it’s now, I might go catch [Chi], whoosh, quickly?
  • (p127) 「ついうかれちゃって」
    => I am unconsciously festive​?
  • 草木くさきがきれいだな なんて」
    • 草木くさき => “plants”
    • が => subject marker
    • きれい => “beautiful”
    • だ => “are”
    • な => “wow”
    • なんて => exclamation? (Although the example on Jisho put it at the beginning of the sentence :-/)
      => Wow, the plants are beautiful! Really!
  • 植物ちょくぶつはいいわよね」
    => The plants are really good, aren’t they?
  • (p130)「すごーいくろいの。。かりちたんら」
    => Amazing, black one! You got some harvest (probably not the best way to translate it :-/)
  • 「チーはなにちてたんらっけ?」
    => What was Chi doing already? You forget quickly ^^’ The same happened when she started playing with the groceries bag and forgot about the milk. If her head wasn’t on her shoulder, she would forget it as well:stuck_out_tongue:
  • 「よりによってヒグマねこすくわれちゃったね」
    • よりによって => “of all things”
    • ヒグマ => “brown bear”
    • ねこ => “cat”
    • に => “by”
    • くすわれちゃった => from 救う (“to rescue”)
    • ね => “right?”
      => To be saved by the Brown bear cat of all things, hu?

Did the mother really named the black cat “Brown bear cat”? xD Looking back, it’s because of Yohei’s picture book (p77). Until we find a better name, I think I will call him ヒグマ as well :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

My understanding is that in this case 前 is not in a spatial sense but in a temporal sense; in this case it means “before” instead of “front.” Checking to see if it is safe before going out

I believe here we have ささーと and not ささーと. (I think the difference in size is noticeable if you compare that っ with the one in つかまえる in the manga page).
As to what ささーっと means, here’s my best guess. Onomatopoeic words have a series of rules, and I don’t know them very well, but one of them is that you can add り, と, and other suffixes to them. Adding と is basically like quoting the onomatopoeia.

Since ささ is a onomatopoeia for quick movement, using the “whoosh” translation you went for, ささーっと would be like If it is now, in a ‘whoosh’ I can go there and catch Chi. It sounds terribly silly in English, childish even, but it seems it is pretty normal in japanese.

つい also means “just now”, and I feel it fits better here “I got in very good spirits just now” I’m not really sure though.

なんて can be used to just give emphasis to a phrase, without necessarily meaning anything. BunPro notes that it is often used to emphasize emotions.

I feel the “hunting” meaning for かり fits better here. In like “you hunted something nice!”

Just in case, I will mention you have a typo there, 救う is read すくう and not くすう.

3 Likes

There is no に so you are probably right.

Indeed, the つ is smaller than the と, I totally missed that u_u

Oh… I’ll have to look that up then.

Well, Yohei is still very young (he didn’t use any kanji in vol1!) and the father might still be used to using this king of language for his son.

Oh! Never mind what I just said then :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s better since he used the vegetation as an excuse right after that so it would be normal to start being in high spirits next to them :thinking:

And of course, the only thing I didn’t looked up on Bunpro… ^^’
In any case, I find it difficult to integrate these words in the translations :confused:

I’m not sure why I went with harvest… maybe because he simply collected the prepared fish? Does someone have a time machine to ask tired-past-me? :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s what I get for typing the furigana from memory instead of looking at the book /o/ (should I fail it during the apprentice IV → guru review tonight?) I’ll fix it in my previous message for anyone reading later.

Ch37

• (p132) 「チーはそのバスケットで動物病院どうぶつびょういんれてかれるってわかってるのよ」
    => Chi understands that this basket is to take her to the vet clinic?
  • (p136) 「いいとこみつけたれしょ」
    • いいとこ => “good thing”
    • みつけた => past of 見つける “to discover”
    • れしょ → でしょ? “it seems”
      => It seems I found a good spot? You think that you are safe? You think that Youhei is your ally? You are way too naive young one.
  • 「ここならオトーサンもオカーサンもつかまえられないよね」
    => Here, dad and mom can’t catch me, can they? Well, they could as easily as Youhei will in a moment.
  • (p138) 「なかまらとおもってたのに」
    • なかま => “Komrade”
    • らと → だと => “if it’s the case​”
    • おもってた => おもって “to consider” + いた (past of 居る)
    • の => indicates possessive​
    • に => “because of”
      => I can’t decide between Because of this [backstabbing], do not consider yourselves my comrades anymore! and I was considering you my comrades! :crying_cat_face: (and it’s probably neither x))

The mother should not have removed the blanket from the basket before putting Chi inside.

Hmmm I’m not sure I’ve seen だと used as “if that’s the case”. My interpretation is the following:

なかまら => なかま だ => “(you) are a komrade”
と => quotation particle
おもってた => abbreviation of おもっている in past tense => “I thought”
のに => even though / despite

“Even though I thought you were a comrade!”

1 Like

I split the sentence the same way the book did. Can’t we even trust that when Chi speaks?! x_x

1 Like

Ch38

(I’m so late… :crying_cat_face: )

• (p139) 「ネットにれたままなんですが」
    => Something about her being in the net “as it is”, apologizing for not taking her out? I don’t understand the なんです
  • とくにあばれるコはね」
    • とく => “especially”
    • にあばれる => “to struggle”
    • コ => “child”/“kitten”? I’m not even sure it is a コ but I don’t know what else it could be
    • は => topic marker
    • ね => “right?”
      => [It’s ok like that,] especially for the struggling kittens?
  • (p141) 「みんなやなことちたんら」
    • みんな => “everyone”
    • やな => 梁 “fish trap​” (because of the net)? I don’t really see what else it could be and I don’t remember Chi using や instead of something else
    • こと => “incident” (or “crisis” from Chi’s PoW :P)
    • ちた → した => “done”
    • んら → んだ => explanation
      => Because during the last incident, everyone trapped me?
  • (p142) 「ましょせんそんなモンさ」
    => あの。。。からないよ! >_<
  • 人間にんげん信用しんようしすぎちゃダメだ」
    => It’s not good that you are trustingthe humans too much?
  • 仲間なかましんじることだ」
    => You trusted your comrades for this incident? (I know it’s だ and not だった but it feels weird using the present tense… It could also be more along the lines of You trust your comrades to take care of you during an incident [but they are not your comrades])
  • (p144) 「いえかえるメシだ」
    • いえ => “house”
    • に => location
    • かえる => “to return”
    • メシ => 飯 (“meal”)?
    • だ => “be”
      => I’m returning to the house where there is a meal[/to eat]? Is he going to steal more food or does he have a home?
  • 「みんなってるしな」
    => Everyone is waiting, you know Is he talking about the 山田やまだ waiting for Chi or about cats/people waiting for him?
  • 「まもちつもたれつーってやつだ」
    => Well, it’s “give-and-take” as they say?
  • (p145) 「チーはただごはんにかえっただけらよ」
    => Chi only came back to have free food? Also… they are 3 だ in this sentence, why does only the last transform into a ら? >_< Is it that she is now capable of pronouncing properly but thinks it really is ら?
  • (p148) 「やっぱいなかまになってもいいよ」
    • やっぱい → やっぱり => “as before”?
      => Chi may also become part of the group again!?

Well… this was the most difficult chapter for me yet, probably (in part) because I didn’t have enough time to do this in one seating…

Yes, basically Dad is apologizing to the vet for leaving her in the net. The が at the end here is the “however / but” version of が (bunpro link), which basically means that there’s an implied sentence following it that is left out.

I left her inside the net but… (should I take her out?) or maybe I left her inside the net but… (maybe I shouldn’t have?).

Yeah, I also can’t imagine コ being anything else than 子. I am guessing it is in katakana because it would be confusing if it said あばれるこ. I also agree with your translation, though I’d go for singular Specially since she’s a kitty that puts up a struggle

I believe やな comes from abbreviation of 嫌な (unpleasant) , which can be read both as いやな or やな

because everyone did an unpleasant thing (to me)

Yeah, this one is tricky. I’m not really sure, but this is my best guess:

=> “well, …”, “I think,…” (see meaning 3 in jisho)
しょせん => “after all”
そんな => like that
モン => abbreviation of もの
さ => a mainly masculine way to end a sentence, very similar to よ (bunpro link)

So basically this means “that’s just how things are”. I believe he’s saying this in connection to what follows in his next dialogue That’s just how things are. Humans can’t be trusted.

I agree with your translation :slight_smile:

So here, the present tense is being used because before this Chi asks ”しんよー"ってなーに? (What is “しんよう (信用)” ?)

The black cat is answering her question, and thus giving a general definition of the term 信用 in present tense. Since this is just a general definition, he’s not really mentioning the current incident. He’s simply saying “(信用 means) believing in your comrades”

Yeah, I wondered about that too. No special nuance that I can detect seems to point either way. Initially I was somewhat inclined to believe he’s talking about other cats that eat the food he steals with him, but I’m not really sure. I mean, after saying trusting humans is bad, I don’t quite see why he’d tell Chi to go home, but the whole give-and-take seems to point in that direction

I went for the “only” meaning of ただ here, instead of “free of charge”, mostly because I don’t think Chi understands that stuff can have a “price”.

I am hardly an expert, but I’ve seen instances of fictional characters with funny accents that only change the pronunciation of the だ when it is used as the “to be”, while normal words with だ in them remain unchanged, so maybe that’s what the author is going for >.< But yeah, makes it even more confusing.

I went with a bit different wording but I agree with your translation. I think it’d be nice to become friends (with these people) as before (since they give me this amazingly delicious food :tm:) .

2 Likes

But of course! Once again, I tried to only use what was there u_u

I went for plural because, in my understanding he is used to kittens putting up a struggle to try and avoid going to the vet so things like have her in a net is fine and common place

Oh! I should have removed the な to find this, I’ll try to remember that for the next chapters, thanks.

But why the random katakana use? x_x

bangs its head against the desk x_x

That was my understanding at first but the give-and-take wouldn’t make much sense in that case (except if they all share what they steal? :thinking:)

Yes but だけ also means “only”… so either it’s to reinforce the idea that she definitively don’t want to have anything to do with them except eating or the ただ means something else.
Also, even though the definition is “free of charge”, I took it more as “I didn’t have to find and take(/steal) it myself” (which is probably wrong but I was tired and wanted to finish this chapter… x))
Or it could be (Yes, I’m here) but it’s merely to have dinner

I’m pretty sure we have instances where all だ in her sentence became ら (but don’t want to look for them now)

In my mind it was “it might happen if you keep giving me good food, nice rubs and don’t stab me in the back again” (even though it’s for her own good, she doesn’t understand it)

1 Like

Hmmm. Sadly there doesn’t seem to be anything specific to imply one or the other that I can detect, so not sure.

I believe this is somewhat common to avoid long chains of Hiragana, because it makes the text harder to read. I’ve seen that in a few children books at least, where Kanji usage is not that predominant.

As far as I understand, ただ, when it means that something is free, happens to work like a noun. ただ, when it means “only, merely” is an adverb. So, if we want to say “free meal” (grammatically this is called a “の-adjective”) we have to use の to connect the ただ to the noun: ただのごはん. However, Chi’s doesn’t say it that way.

What follows is a bit technical and I’m not sure I understand it 100%, but it is what I managed to understand from here:

So yep, だけ also means “only”, but it is a different type of “only” from ただ; it is not strange for them to be in the same sentence. Take this example sentence from weblio:

ただ一つだけある => “There’s only one”.

So the ただ means “only” in the same sense as “merely”; in the sense that it’s “nothing special” or “not important”. While だけ, on the other hand, means “only” as in “compared to something”; as in “there is ‘only’ one spoon (but we need two)”, or “I have ‘only’ read 5 pages (of the 10 that I have to read for my homework)”

So roughly, ただ一つだけある conveys both senses of the word ‘only’: “This is nothing special, there’s only one (thing)”. You could use that sentence, for example, if you were worried you were going to have a lot of homework but when you actually check you find that the teacher left a single, easy assignment. It is not a big deal; it is just one assignment.

Applying all this to what Chi is saying, we basically arrive to: (Me being here is not a big deal), I only came back to eat.

Hmmm I personally feel that やっぱり has a more “definitive” feel to it and less “conditional” than what you propose, but I don’t really have anything to back that up.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll try to keep that in mind. It also explains the コ at the start of the chapter (which you already said… damn, can someone fix my brain please? x_x)

Very interesting, thank you :slight_smile: (I also read the linked post since you weren’t sure to have understood but I understood the same but with useless talk about his life… リアじゅうね! :stuck_out_tongue: )

Looking at meaning 3 and 4 on Jisho, I think that you are right.

1 Like

:laughing:

You forgot the ruby tag :stuck_out_tongue: リア<ruby>充<rt>じゅう</rt></ruby>は<ruby>死<rt>し</rt></ruby>ね

I’ve caught up! <3
Just want to add that the cat in the last chapter is from a different manga by the same person. Never read it, but I feel the art quality has gotten much better since that one, and even during Chi =P

2 Likes

That was fast !
Can we count on you to participate for volume 3 discussions then? :3

1 Like

I just did a quick read through to catch up, so I can try participate in the next volume =)
I probably won’t do these great word for word breakdowns, but will at least try to do whole lines.

:frowning: I want to be able to be lazy too! … :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I forgot that it’s no longer summer time in my timezone so I’m late to create the new thread! :scream_cat:
It’s here :smiley_cat:

#discordBugs =._.=