チーズスイートホーム Reading club [Finished]

Hello everyone :wave:

As we start the last volume of the story, we thought to revive this main thread to tell you that we plan on reading 4 additional books: 『今日のこねこのチー』 (Chi’s sweet adventure)

Photo of the books by Toyger

It seems that books 3 and 4 only exist as ebooks (in Japanese) so here are links to BookWalker:

If you are interested, we should be starting on January 8.

Do you want to read along?
  • yes
  • yes but please wait a bit more
  • no
0 voters

:crabigator:

3 Likes

Don’t mind me, I voted accidentally

2 Likes

I think I start reading this series in between my graded readers.

1 Like

Don’t hesitate to ask questions in the corresponding threads :smiley_cat:

1 Like

How is the cat/kid talk? Is it manageable after a while?

The kid learns to speak properly and you get used to the kitten talk (it doesn’t improve much but it’s always the same substitutions).
Someone posted this video last year (then removed the message), it might help: Casual Japanese and Baby Talk in Chi’s Sweet Home チーズスイートホーム - Kanata Konami こなみかなた -
At worst, you can skip what チー is saying until the end of the chapter (or of the next) and go back when you have more context.

From what I recall, overall, once you get past the first 3 books (chapter 43 in volume 3 was the worst for me because of a lengthy discussion between adults) there is nothing really hard to read.

@vol2 how long would you like us to wait before reading?

@ everyone, what should we do about the pacing? Most chapters seem to be around 7 pages long (at least for vol 1 and 2) but with text in almost every frame (2 columns of 4 frames per page).
Do we continue with 3 chapters a week? Do we use a count of pages? Read the whole book at once? Other?
For reference, the first volume chapters:

chapter page
1 3
2 10
3 17
4 24
5 32
6 39
7 47
8 54
9 61
10 67
11 73
12 78
13 83
14 88
15 89
16 90
17 91
2 Likes

I read the first volume in one sitting while my cat Eevee had a tooth cleaning at the vet =P

But even though I CAN read it in one sitting, I have no rush getting through it. I’d rather enjoy it over a spaced interval =)
3 chapters a week could be good still

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think it will be difficult for us to read a whole book in one seating but I don’t know for zheke and vol2.

I think, we can read the last 4 chapters as one since they are 1 page long each.
That would take us 5 weeks (1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-17)

2 Likes

That sounds good to me =)

2 Likes

I can try to follow along. I got the book on bookwalker, so I have it.

Sorry it took me awhile to respond, been distracted by holiday stuff.

2 Likes

Here is the schedule for the first book:

Week Start Date Chapters
Week 1 January 8 Chapters 1-3
Week 2 January 15 Chapters 4-6
Week 3 January 22 Chapters 7-9
Week 4 January 29 Chapters 10-12
Week 5 February 5 Chapters 13-17

Let me know if you disagree with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The thread for the first book is here.
cc @Abstormal @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz @zheke @vol2

I realized that there is no official numbering of chapters so I added page numbers in the schedule. If you prefer to have chapters names, tell me and I’ll edit (but I know from other books that the titles can spoil the story so :person_shrugging:).

2 Likes

Ready for volume 2 of 今日のこねこのチー?

Less chapters (only 12, so 4 weeks of reading) but as many pages :scream_cat:

Hi!
I read the first 7 volumes with the book club, but then stopped because I had less time but mainly because I did not find any places to buy volumes 8 to 12 (well, 8 and 9 were available on Amazon.co.jp but not the others).

I really want to know the end of the manga (without reading the french version!) so I would like to know where/how did you buy your own volumes?

I’m living in France (but okay for delivery from Japan), I do not want the ebook version, and I’m okay to buy secondhand volumes (in fact, I bought secondhand volumes 1 to 7 in Japan, in a Bookoff shop).

Thanks in advance for your advices!!

1 Like

I didn’t read/own the series, but as for the secondhand manga availability in general:

Mandarake has a good reputation and even its own thread on WK:

I also know of proxy option on cdjapan, but never personally used it myself:
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/agency/yahoo/search?yq=9784063760545&nbl=1

2 Likes

I got everything from amazon.co.jp except the 11th volumes (from amazon.fr); I did have to use https://neokyo.com/ to get second hand books for the 1st and 12th volumes.

Because of an error from the seller, I have the 11th volumes twice ^^’ I am willing to send one to you for free instead of letting it collect dust next to the others if you feel comfortable giving me an address to send it to (PMs would come in handy for that :confused: if you agree to it, I’ll ask WK’s staff to send you mail email address, maybe it’ll work) but I would totally understand not wanting to give your address to a random person on the Internet ^^

Oh! I didn’t know them, will have to try =)

2 Likes

@Aislin Thanks! I did not know Mandarake was doing international shipping. I just made an order for #8 to 12 of Chi, and #8 to 15 of Yotsuba! Now I’m waiting to know if all volumes are available and about the shipping price.

@koalou Thanks for your offer, but I just made an order with Mandarake and it was easier to buy them all at once. I’m so eager to have them and read the end! (I really want to know if the big cat is Chi’s father :wink: )

2 Likes

Alright! :slight_smile:
In any case, welcome back \o/ don’t hesitate to post in the corresponding threads, even if just to give your impressions on a chapter or volume :3 (also, don’t read 今日のこねこのチ once you finish the main series, it’s not good :frowning:)

1 Like

Thanks for the advice :wink:

1 Like