Ch 100 五枚の同期会
Week 3 July 21 56–88 33 pages Ch 101 絆
Ch 102 思い出
Week 4 July 28 89–120 32 pages Ch 103 前日
Ch 104 或る少女の名前
Week 5 August 4 121–152 32 pages Ch 105 約束の星空
Ch 106 わたしの名前

Discussion Rules

• If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
  • Please mention the chapter and page number.
  • Please use spoiler tags for major events.
  • If you read ahead, please hold questions until during or after the appropriate week.
7 Likes

Chapter 98

Start Date: 2023-07-06T15:00:00Z

This week includes the final chapter of volume 8.

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

6 Likes

I’m in read ahead jail again. I couldn’t stop! See you all in a week :smiling_face_with_tear:

8 Likes

Every time we see Sara and Mia, I recall earlier scenes and wonder what will become of these two.

Like with Kate/Emiriko, Mia’s name isn’t a diminutive of Sara’s name. (Well, unless you rearrange サラ to ラサ, then squint so it looks like ミア.)

We typically see Mia in the context of being Sara's face...

...as opposed to being apart from Mia.

I realize Sara's actions with Mia are to keep her solely focused on advancement, using punishment as an incentive...

…but I wonder if Mia is in a situation similar to what Ricky feared was the case with Patrick in chapter 97 (being on opposing sides).

Is Sara's influence over Mia enough that Mia won't break free the same as Shon did?

Will Mia stand by Sara's goals, distancing herself from Emiriko and the others entirely?

8 Likes

I’m eager to see the next scene where the human squad is working together, to see how Mia acts. She seemed just as upset as Sara was that Kate and Emilico were chosen as the new leaders of the squad, so she seems to be of one mind with her as far as wanting to advance. But she also seemed to truly like Emilico up until that point.

6 Likes

Haha, that’s a wonderful and well-written summary of Mia’s story so far. Yeah honestly she is one of the characters that has intrigued me the most, I’m looking forward to seeing what side she actually takes. Her and Oliver/Ollie who so far I can’t tell whose team they’re on either lol.

7 Likes

Gonna try to catch up with y’all until 11th August for 第10巻. Currently on chapter 53 of volume 5.

7 Likes

Chapters 99 and 100

Start Date: 2023-07-13T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

7 Likes
Story comments

This week’s reading is what I read early. And I have no regrets! With Kate having outsmarted Sara, I can’t wait to see what happens if Edward actually comes the next day like she asked him to. She’s going to be in SO much trouble! Actually, given the revelation about what happens to shadows that lose their humans, I hope it’s not too bad.

Speaking of revelations, it’s so good to have the whole crew being told the truth of things. It feels like Patrick and Louise have been kind of allies of Kate and John, and kind of not. But with this, I expect them to come fully under the fold.

I wonder if Anthony is also going to show up during the meeting. It’s a meeting for kids in the same year, so maybe not. Oh, I wonder if he tipped Kate off about Sara since he overheard her talking to Douglas.

7 Likes
My favorite part this week...

…is seeing that Ramu is still the usual Ramu.

With her experiences since お披露目, it’d be easy to go the route of “she was forced to become more confident and therefore no longer has issues around others”; I’m glad to see that isn’t the case.

Most interesting for me this week...

…is the part about the shadows each mimicking a specific trait from their human counterpart.

This means Sara’s ambition for power/status may have come directly from Mia. (But not necessarily, as Kate’s elegance doesn’t show in Emiriko.)

I expect Isabelle and Mirabelle each received a separate personality trait from a single Bell twin at first contact. Although the Bell twins likely had clear differences in their personalities, did they have a shared selfishness in their DNA and/or upbringing that equally defined their shadows? Did that lead to the shadows not caring which Bell was their face to the point that they each interacted with both, resulting in both shadows being equal amalgams of the Bell twins, causing the shadows to share a same personality?

9 Likes
Sara and Mia

That’s a good point! I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case. That would explain why they are so similar in wanting to advance through the house’s power structure.

5 Likes

What page was that explained on? I don’t remember that plot point.

By the way, you all are quickly approaching some of my favorite parts of the whole series.

8 Likes

It is volume 9 page 48 last panel but the whole mimicry explanation starts on page 46.

7 Likes

…and then page 49 applies it to our 同期 members.

6 Likes

At this point, there are two theories about モーフ’s character traits: Kate’s theory and Maryrose’s theory. I’m not sure whether these two theories complement each other or they are completely separate perspectives.

4 Likes
Morphs

I seem to remember Maryrose’s explanation being similar to Kate’s. The morphs hang around the kids that are knocked out and copy them. Although that part happens before they are in their separate rooms, which is the part Kate focused on in this week’s reading. I feel like they’ve gone over the goodnight kiss being necessary too, although I can’t remember if that was also part of Maryrose’s explanation. Is there something else Maryrose mentioned that I’m forgetting?

5 Likes
Emiriko brought it up when she and Shon were talking on the rooftop back in volume 5.

There's also this (unrelated) mention in volume 7.

(This is when they are in separate cells, speaking through the wall.)

5 Likes

Thanks! Your ability to text search the manga is really helpful for these long-running clubs where it gets hard to remember all the details over the months.

So, it was speculation up to this point, or maybe it was speculation back then and they became sure of it by this point.

3 Likes
Volume 6 page 83

From what I understand, morphs have their own inherent characteristics. Upon imitating humans, they acquire additional traits and the dominant character traits come to the forefront. If the human traits are excessively dominant, they may experience an over-capacity situation. In such cases, the dominant characteristic does not have the opportunity to come to the forefront. Then, why was Shirley that unresponsive? What happened to her original personality? It should not have been overwritten because she and Ramu did not have enough interaction. Was it stuck while copying the “data”? :sweat_smile:
If we incorporate Kate’s theory, we can say that morphs continue their development by focusing on specific character traits.

6 Likes
Morphs

Yeah, I think both explanations complement each other the way you mentioned. The morph’s fundamental personality doesn’t change, but it is influenced by the creature it’s copying. It’s like how a human’s personality won’t change to match the people they hang out with, but they may pick up some mannerisms or speech patterns from their friends. The influence the morph experiences is like a more intense version of that.

I think the over-capacity thing is when the morph is incapable of copying a trait. John just didn’t have the mental capacity to copy Shaun’s intelligence :sweat_smile:

As for Sherry, she seems like a very special case. She may just be an exception. We haven’t seen any other shadow change form like that. The third floor dude with the hair also mentioned during the お披露目 that he had never seen a shadow turn to dust the way she did when she transformed.

Maybe her body was too big for her, so she couldn’t use it that well, and her personality couldn’t come through? Then once her body became the right size, she was able to express herself.

5 Likes