シャドーハウス Reading Club Home Thread

Vocabulary Lists

Reading Schedule

Week Start Date Pages No. of Pages Chapter
Week 1 March 11 5–32 28 pages Ch 63 集められる生き人形
Ch 64 こびりつきについて
Week 2 March 18 33–60 28 pages Ch 65 お呼ばれについて
Ch 66 婚姻について
Week 3 March 25 61–90 30 pages Ch 67 ローブ様の正体は…
Ch 68 亡霊騒ぎの犯人
Week 4 April 1 91–118 28 pages Ch 69 理由
Ch 70 最後の授業
Week 5 April 8 119–146 28 pages Ch 71 お呼ばれとお迎え
Ch 72 やさしさ
Week 6 April 15 147–174 28 pages Ch 73 水路の三択
Ch 74 仲間の価値

Discussion Rules

• If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
  • Please mention the chapter and page number.
  • Please use spoiler tags for major events.
  • If you read ahead, please hold questions until during or after the appropriate week.
7 Likes

Chapters 63 and 64

Start Date: 2023-03-10T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes

Chapters 65 and 66

Start Date: 2023-03-17T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I will catch up later.
  • There’s nothing wrong with an extra-leisurely pace.

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

6 Likes
Ch 65 and 66 story comments

Benjamin almost seemed like someone who sees living dolls as people, but then he called them tools. I guess even if a shadow sees them as tools, they see them as very important tools, worth taking care of.

Also, man, I was bowled over when Patrick’s crush was revealed in the anime. What a good plot twist! It was more explicitly foreshadowed in the manga though, where you could see a thought bubble of Emilico when he stopped himself from denying John’s assertion that he liked Kate in an earlier chapter.

8 Likes
Chapter comments

This makes me think that either クリストファー was 同期 with someone in the 星つき, and specifically ベンジャミン, who is the one that gets the most mad about the subject and who is suspiciously not talked about in the 同期 conversation in chapter 66. I think クリストファー might have taken the お呼ばれ and either succeeded (and that’s why they can’t talk about him and ベンジャミン might be jealous) or more probably failed (and that would make it to ベンジャミン is maybe hurt by his “death” and wants to avoid the subject). I’m not sure if I’m forgetting something here but this makes sense to me

8 Likes
Story comment

Honestly I was not expecting that lol. I didn’t notice the foreshadowing before either. I just thought he was interested in Kate and thought “John has some competition, eh?”. And with Rikki seemingly liking Luu (And him pushing Patrick towards Louise), I have a feeling this whole “who has a crush on whom” is only going to get more complicated.

Yeah I feel like it may be this. It seems that something bad happened to Christopher, rather than him just being elsewhere.

One thing I’m confused about is why the starbearers got angry at John though. Was it because he made a fuss about Kate at some point?

6 Likes
re John

I think John unintentionally caused a fuss by declaring himself Kate’s fiance. For several chapter’s now, it’s been clear from the conversations of other shadows that the “news” is spreading, to Kate’s chagrin. I’m not exactly sure how that’s a nuisance to the star bearers, though.

4 Likes

Chapters 67 and 68

Start Date: 2023-03-24T15:00:00Z

Participation

• I’m reading along.
  • I will catch up later.
  • I hope I don’t forget about the robed figure by the time I get caught up.

0 voters

6 Likes

This week’s reading was straight fire! Even knowing what happens afterward from the anime, it was hard not to read ahead. Especially since the last chapter does one of those seamless transitions into the next. Watch out for that if you don’t want to read ahead by accident!

Story comments

So, now we’ve gotten to the part where special morphs, and morphs in general, are explained. I guess somehow having those extra memories makes them not susceptible to the influence that living dolls normally have on shadows. I wonder if that influence is natural, or if it’s somehow induced in them as part of all the other stuff Shadow House sets up.

Since they take their entire form based on the living dolls, it would make sense that the influence is natural. Maybe having memories of the time before taking the human’s form allows the shadow to have more individuality, versus just trying to be like the human whose form they took?

6 Likes

Well I wasn’t expecting that!

6 Likes

Well, I decided to read on for a chapter as it didn’t seem a good place to stop. The end of that chapter is not a good place to stop either!

6 Likes

I can’t stop reading either. Let’s finish the volume, shall we? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes - I’ve already finished chapter 72! I think I’ll be finishing it this week. But I’ll make myself do my other book club reading in between, since I’m behind on 3…

Edit: finished the volume (after catching up with one book club).

6 Likes

I’m out sick for one little week (still need to catch up on reading), and there’s a mutiny!

8 Likes

Chapters 69 and 70

Start Date: 2023-03-31T15:00:00Z

(Locating an image to show here, I think I just spoiled a couple of things for myself, having not read last week’s chapters yet.)

Participation

• I’m reading along.
  • I will catch up later.

0 voters

6 Likes

I’ve been looking back and forth since the revelation at the beginning of chapter 69 and happened to notice something interesting (I don’t think it’s a major plot point, just an extra bit of flair).

Compare the top right panel on p109 with the top right, p102 of volume 4.

I should add, obviously don’t do this before you’ve read to this point!

6 Likes

The start of chapter 69 answers my question as to why they couldn’t tell if the robed figure was male or female by the voice. Again, having not seen the anime I don’t know if the voice is clearly an altered voice or not.

Chapter 70 in particular has so many awesome images, especially a couple at the end.

6 Likes

One thing I noticed in this week’s reading. I’m not sure what the significance is. Maybe they’ll get into it later. Maryrose isn’t referring to herself in the third person. Her 私 doesn’t have any furigana. Now I actually can’t remember if I ever saw her use a furigana’d 私.

7 Likes

It really does stand out, doesn’t it?

Initial appearance in volume 4.

6 Likes

Chapters 71 and 72

Start Date: 2023-04-07T15:00:00Z

Participation

• I’m reading along.
  • I will catch up later.

0 voters

7 Likes