コンビニ人間 🍙 Week 5 (IBC Primer)

Week 5 of コンビニ人間

コンビニ人間 (IBC Primer) :rice_ball: Home Thread

Previous Part: Week 4
Next Part: Week 6

Reading

Week Start Date End Page (PB)* End Kindle Location End Percentage Ebook End Phrase Page Count
#5 Jul 15 32 292 17% 喋ると不思議とちょうどいい。 6

If the end phrase is bolded, it means that this week ends in the middle of a section/chapter. So the stopping point might be a bit rough and you need to keep more of an eye out for it.

Proper Noun Readings

Name Reading Notes Proof
古倉 ふるくら Main character’s last name Furigana
恵子 けいこ Main character’s first name English version description
菅原 すがわら Part time employee at コンビニ Common reading
いずみ Supervisor at コンビニ Common reading
ダット ダット Vietnamese, new employee
岩木 いわき Tall university student, employed on day shift, looking for a new job English version description
雪下 ゆきした Day shift employee soon to be leaving for a proper job English version description

Vocabulary List

Please note that this vocabulary sheet was created for earlier コンビニ人間 clubs. The PB (paperback) pages should correspond with PB page counts in our schedule, but the weeks and schedule table won’t. This was created for the original IBC schedule. Example: the vocabulary for Primer week one, two and a couple of pages of week 3 will all be under original IBC week 1, so in the week one tab.

Please don’t change this sheet to correspond with our schedule, but do feel free to add to the vocabulary sheet if it is missing something, please read the editing guidelines tab before doing so. :slight_smile: If you are unsure how to add something or which page it falls on, post it in the thread instead and we’ll figure it out together!

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

Obs! Do note that the physical version seems to come with zero page numbers (yes, zero, I saw none while flipping through a good portion of the first volume). So alternative means of identifying page might be needed.

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (if you can), and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
0 voters

Past IBC Thread Links

This week is covered by IBC week 3.

Don’t feel like you need to look there to see if your question(s) have been answered before posting here. There is no obligation nor expectation that you will look there first.

6 Likes

I was stumped by a few bits of this week’s reading. Some of them eventually made more sense on re-reading. But I still wasn’t 100% sure of a couple of things.

店がまわらなくなって

岩木くんも就活で来られない日が増えるというので、店長が夜勤から戻ってくるか、新しい人を昼勤でとるかしないと、店がまわらなくなってしまう。
What does まわらなくなって mean here?

回る、まわらない, まわらなくなる, The shop isn’t running properly because the store manager is working nights shifts?

大抵のひとはそうなのではない

This paragraph confused me for a while.
She starts by saying 大抵のひとはそうなのではない

most people aren’t like that (don’t take on each other’s mannerisms etc)?

But then she goes on to describe

how other employees seem to copy each other - each Kuwabara’s band mates having the same clothes and way of talking, and Sasaki having the same way of saying ‘otsukare’ as Izumi etc

So then I thought I must have misunderstood the first sentence.
Then at the end of the paragraph she says
こうして伝染し合いながら、私たちは人間であることを保ち続けているのだと思う

In this way, infecting each other (being influenced by each others’ mannerisms?) we continue to be humans???

二つを織り交ぜながら喋ると不思議とちょうどいい

Not sure about the ちょうだい at the end of this, nor the two とs 喋る不思議。So she ends up with a weird mixture of the elongated speech style of Izumi and the staccato speaking of Kuwabara??

5 Likes
店がまわらなくなってしまう

One of the meanings of 回る is “to function,work well”.
岩木くん is also job hunting and the days he can’t come to work is increasing, so if the manager doesn’t return to work after the night shift or take new people to the day shift, the store does not function/operate well.

大抵のひとはそうなのではない

You are missing か there. So the whole sentence is 大抵の人はそうなのではないかと私は思っている: Aren’t most people like that? or Most people are like that, aren’t they? + と私は思っている

二つを織り交ぜながら喋ると不思議とちょうどいい

Yes, and she finds this mixture curiously just right (for herself).

The first one means if/when,
The second one makes 不思議 adverb.

10 Likes

Wow TIL what staccato and と adverb usage. Very helpful ty!! Follow-up question: is this adverb usage specific to 不思議? I was looking it up and didn’t find any general usage with turning adjective into adverb

all really good questions that I was confused about also :pray:. The grammar from this week was something for sure.

2 Likes

thanks!!

(on re-reading, I realised that at the end of the section I misread ちょうどいい as ちょうだい, which didn’t help my confusion!)

3 Likes

They are tagged “Adverb taking the ‘to’ particle” in the dictionaries and most of them seem to be na-adjectives/nouns: jisho. I don’t know the logic behind this usage. I am planning to do some research when I have more time&resources.

1 Like

Thanks :saluting_face: I will try to remember this and ask jpn teacher when I get a chance

1 Like

Page 30 (PB)
泉さんは茶髪を纏め,紺色のカットソーの上から白いシャツを着て、水色のネクタイを締めた。

I struggled to work out the order of the clothes in this sentence. The から threw me a bit. I’m going to translate カッタソー as blouse (an image search shows what this clothing looks like, but I’m not sure of the correct fashion term!)

I think what it says is Izumi san tied up her hair, and put on a white shirt over her dark blue blouse, and a light blue tie.

The concept of putting a white shirt over a dark blue top seemed a bit strange. I presume she has worn the dark blue top to work, and then just put the shirt over the top of it. She’s then going to put her uniform on top.

I presume the final look is going to be something like the picture below. In the past they used to just put the uniform over their usual clothes like the lady on the left, but now they have to wear and shirt and tie under their uniform like the man on the right.

5 Likes

There is information available regarding カットソー and how it compares to T-shirts and blouses here.

「カットソー」という言葉は、英語の「Cut(裁断)」と「Sewn(裁縫)」の略称からなる和製英語です。その名の通り「編み物生地を切って縫い合わせた服」を指します。

It’s neither a T-shirt nor a blouse and is made of knitted material instead of woven. Still, I couldn’t quite get the difference. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this week’s pages, especially the bit where she talks about how the current her is just a sum of the people around her, and the way she starts wearing the same brand of shoes as 泉さん (but trying to make it look like a coincidence, and not that she went out of the way to do so). I think that most people, to different extents, are also influenced by those around them and try to mirror their tastes and choices to fit in better. But seeing it narrated in such a… I don’t know, raw way? was really interesting for me to read.

12 Likes

Thanks for everyone who already askes/answered questions! Was very helpful! I have one quesiton left:

Page 32 (PB):
それをそのまま真似してはすぐにバレてしまうので、ブランド名で検索し、そこの服着ている人がブログで紹介したり、どちらのストールを買おうかな、と名前をあげている他のブランドを着ることにしている.
I’m struggling to work out the very last part of this sentence. I am not sure what function と serves here. Maybe it is the “and” meaning and strings together the different parts of the sentence? I’m also unsure what 名前をあげている means. Is it something like “having (giving) a name” as in being a brand name?

Thanks!

1 Like

Isn’t it quotation (of what the bloggers said)?

名前をあげている means „to mention“ here. Does this help already? If not, please ask again :blush:

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been real busy. Your answer does help, but somehow this sentence is still a bit confusing to me:
They way I now interpret the sentence is: She did not just imitate what the others were wearing without cahnge, because she did not want to be found out. Meaning she never was found out, right? She was just afraid she would be? She decided to do research, so she got familar with some blogger who wear similar cothes to her co-workers. In the blog, the blogger (?) answers the question “which stole should I wear?” and so the protagonists decides to wear the other brand mentioned in the blog. I presume that means that the blog mentions two brand, one of which is worn by the co-worker but she then buys the other?
Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi! I have more information about と adverbs. Apparently, there are 3 kinds of と adverbs:

1. taru-adjectives: these take と in adverb form and take とする when they are used as adjectives in modern texts. After learning this information I’ve encountered many taru-adjectives in the wild.
  2. Some of the na adjectives take と in adverb form.
  3. Onomatopoeia.
    *In the last two options, there are cases と is omitted.
3 Likes

Wow appreciate the update! :). I have not heard of taru adjectives so that was interesting to learn

1 Like