コンビニ人間: Week 10 Discussion

I agree about the desperate vibe, but I think it was more because コンビニ was in danger and they weren’t helping with the rescue, and not directly because of coworkers finding out about her and Shiraha.

Of course, coworkers finding out is a problem, too, I just don’t think it’s the direct cause of her panic. She’s focusing on the current issue for now - からあげ棒 aren’t ready yet!

My interpretation is that even if he seems oblivious to the fact that he was nearly arrested for stalking/harassment, he more or less is aware that his actions were problematic and he doesn’t want to be uh, detected again by people who have seen him acting in so desperate and wretched way and who know that he was basically kicked from the job.
He didn’t even took his personal belongings from the locker, and he wasn’t picking up the phone, so I assume he really really doesn’t want to be noticed by konbini people again.

Anyway. At first I wasn’t sure what POP means and somehow assumed it’s the batter :grin: It was confusing for a while.
I was wondering a few weeks ago what exactly counts as “preparing” food in the konbini, and after this week’s description it seems @seanblue was right, it seems it’s mainly about heating, considering Keiko brought frozen items with her and that they were able to prepare them so quickly.
seanblue’s quote:

Two questions/doubts:
と面識のない人にならいくら話してもいいけれど、コンビニにはの存在を漏らさないで欲しい。
(Kindle Locations 1127-1128; 68%)

Wait, did Shiraha change his pronoun within one sentence?

「これはね、お釣りが出る商品券だからね。お釣りをお渡ししてね!」
(Kindle Location 1137; 69%)

I was extremely surprised about the fact that you can get お釣り from 商品券. Is it normal in other countries, too?

Plot talk

People at the party hear that Shiraha is fishy, and recommend pregnancy as a solution.
People at work know Shiraha, and they still don’t seem concerned about Keiko safety/well-being. What’s more, 泉さん even says お似合いなんだけど!
Even Keiko herself seems more aware of the issues with her arrangement, calling Shiraha 詐欺師 at the beginning of this week’s reading, than people around her. :stuck_out_tongue:
Seriously, everyone’s reaction is extremely creepy for me.

This time I want to go into the book and shout at them. “Don’t encourage her! She was happy with her previous life! And ffs prepare these からあげ!”

9 Likes