コンビニ人間 🍱 Repeat Book Club

Yeah I think we can all see the way the wind is blowing! Shall we call it?

5 Likes

I guess. It’s an endless spiral. This year so far I bought (and read) more books in Japanese than in English and Hungarian. :open_mouth:

5 Likes

what was that about an endless spiral of Japanese books

9 Likes

I know everybody has been waiting with bated breath, but given the lack of discussion so far on week 12 I hope folks aren’t too upset that I won’t be able to post the final week until tomorrow.

6 Likes

Let’s continue organising the 殺人出産 Book Club here:

8 Likes

Final week!

7 Likes

For those who can’t bear the though of コンビニ人間 coming to an end, fear not! There is one more week of reading in store! For anybody who wants to join, I’ve posted コンビニエンスストア様 discussion thread. I think that reading Murata’s love letter to the convenience store where she worked will be fun and deepen our appreciation for this phenomenal book. Thank you @Aislin for the recommendation and links.

7 Likes

Thank you for creating an excel vocab sheet! Apparently Flo Flo has been cancelled so all previous lists were lost (at least to the public?). So thank you! This will help my reading.

1 Like

There’s still Koohi, same creator as the one who made floflo

Hey all, I just learned that on 2021-09-09T17:00:00Z there will be an event (youtube live stream) featuring Murata Sayaka! She will read from her book コンビニ人間 and there will be a discussion with a Japanology professor from Trier, Germany.

Drawback: It’s a German-Japanese literature event where Murata will speak Japanese and it will be translated into German. So I guess it will probably make most sense to participate if you can either understand German, or if your Japanese is good enough to follow along, but of course ymmv :upside_down_face:

If you’re interested, please sign up here:

12 Likes

Since I don’t fit either criteria - are you going to watch it? If so, can you summarize it later? :laughing:

2 Likes

Ouf :slight_smile: I will attend it, and I’ll do my best to give a summary to those who are interested :+1:

5 Likes

I can say with almost complete certainty that my Japanese is not good enough to follow along, but that won’t stop me from trying. :grin: Registered!

2 Likes

@NicoleIsEnough thank you, this is so cool! I also can’t speak German but I’m waiting for your summary. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe some of you are interested in a similar event that happened back in March: JFNY Literary Series Episode #2: Sayaka Murata x Ginny Tapley Takemori - YouTube
I found it a while back but I still haven’t watched it :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Is it not possible to watch on YouTube without having signed up first?

You need a direct link to access the video page, which you get upon signing up, so I’m afraid not. It’s possible it’ll get uploaded publically after the livestream, though. I’ve seen videos of similar livestreams up.

1 Like

The email states that it’s a non-public livestream. Did not even know that’s a thing :woman_shrugging:

I want to sign up but I feel bad taking a slot knowing I might not be available and I probably won’t understand very much of it.

You could wait a bit longer until you sign up, maybe? First to see whether you can clarify your availability, and secondly to give others a chance as well…
OTOH I‘ve attended a conversation evening with a famous German translator (Ursula Gräfe, who translates Murakami, Murata and others) a few months ago, and there were only ~100 attendees… So unless my post triggers a huge number of people to sign up, there should not be that much of an issue…

1 Like

Is it connected to your personal YouTube account upon sign up or something? If not you could share a link with other people and they’d be able to access it too.