Sayaka Murata Book Club

It’s an endless cycle of buying Murata books, getting points back, using those points to buy more Murata books, etc.

6 Likes

I’m a bit late, but I just read on twitter that

本日8月14日は村田沙耶香さんのお誕生日。

Happy Birthday, Murata-sensei! :partying_face:

6 Likes

oh no, I missed it too :frowning: Do you maybe remember which twitter account posted it?

1 Like

It’s here: https://twitter.com/Kawade_shobo/status/1426302721016074240?s=20 I saw because Murata-sensei replied to it. (But now I don’t see the replies in my feed D: )

4 Likes

I realized I forgot to buy it. :sob: Welp, enough time to wait for another sale.

2 Likes

Cross-posting for interested people:

5 Likes

Looks like I’ll be practising two languages for the price of one! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I assume most folks here are pretty tuned-in with the IBC, but in case you missed it they’re voting on the next pick now. 地球星人 is one of the options if a whole Murata club still isn’t enough Murata for you. I read it in English about a year ago and I will say it’s one of my favorite books I’ve ever read.

6 Likes

I considered not voting for 地球成人 precisely because I’m not sure I can handle two of her books simultaneously without getting them both totally tangled… In the end I did still vote for it. No promises I won’t change that vote for the yoshimoto banana one before the poll closes. :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

It’s the reason I didn’t vote for it. I find it strange to have another book club for Murata when there’s already a dedicated one. (Plus I really want to read コンビニ人間 first, but that has nothing to do with the current book clubs of course.)

2 Likes

Yep, I was also surprised to see the nomination, but it seems to have hit a nerve, so that’s fine. Maybe this bookclub needs to become visible to the broader audience from time to time :woman_shrugging:
I also didn’t vote for it, mainly because I feel like I had enough Murata books for a while :joy_cat: I found the 殺人出産 short stories to be really intense emotionally, and I’m still struggling to get into our newest pick (am still on week 2 :flushed:) because I somehow feel totally edgy about trying to envision what the weirdness will be this time around…
Also, my reading list is full and lots of interesting authors wait for me :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

That’s always the case, isn’t it, so much to read, so little time. I’m impatient to get to the point where I’m fluent enough in Japanese that I can finish a book in a few days instead of the ages it currently takes me. But that’s a long way from now I suspect.

3 Likes

If I recall the discussion correctly, the conclusion was that this book club is more for the established fans, while the IBC nomination was more about fishing up new souls.
I wasn’t sure how well it would do, but actually, like you said, it seems to be quite popular. :upside_down_face:

And I second this, so if you really don’t want two Muratas at the same time, then I actually recommend prioritizing 地球星人 :laughing:

6 Likes

Yep. We had to spread the Good News!

But the thought that it would be a bit awkward to read two Murata books concurrently struck me as well. We’ll have to see how it goes with the voting, but if it wins and there is a big overlap with the members of this club, we could consider saving the last story in 授乳 until 地球星人 is done. Think of the fresh converts Murata book club members!

8 Likes

My reasoning for not voting for 地球星人 was mostly something along the lines of “I’m not sure if I can fully commit to the next IBC pick so let’s save 地球星人 for later”, so if the nomination stays as popular as it is now I’ll have to find a way to make it work :joy:

I like that idea! Not just because it would lessen the book club load but also because I feel like two Murata books at the same time might be a bit much. Of course it depends on how large the overlap between the clubs actually is.

7 Likes

If we manage to stop between stories, I wouldn’t mind pausing, I think. Especially since moving the club over to the intermediate club for a bit will ensure lovely discussion and may bring in new blood to this specialty club. And eradicate my fear of juggling two intense 村田 stories.

Good News all around, if you ask me!

7 Likes

Yeah, the original thought was that putting 地球星人 in the IBC would introduce more people to the author and give people who aren’t necessarily die-hard fans the chance to discover Murata and maybe join us here to read her less well-known works. I have no issue reading two Murata books at once (especially when one’s a novel and one’s a short-story collection), but a hiatus here if 地球星人 wins the vote sounds like a totally reasonable proposal. I agree with Aislin in saying that if you must prioritize something, read 地球星人.

6 Likes

Hahaha, I even voted in that poll oops :slight_smile: Now I have no more excuses :joy_cat:

4 Likes

Well it looks like we’ll be starting 地球星人 on 27 November. That means we (probably) won’t need a break between the second and third story of 授乳, because there would only be two weeks of overlap.

I could potentially post the last two threads a bit earlier (say, 20 November), so that those who feel very strongly about not reading two Murata stories concurrently can go for a sprint and finish the story in time for 地球星人.

I guess we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it!

3 Likes

I made it so that we only have a two-week overlap now :sunglasses:

Which doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t continue to think about taking a break and postponing the last story. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes