Start Date: Nov 16th
Previous Part: Week 6
Next Part: Week 8

Reading:

End Page End % End Phrase Page Count
101* 48% いやな悲しさでいっぱいになっていった。 15

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for キッチン

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read-along Sessions

Come and read from the previous week’s section, join in the chat about this book (also the previous book, possible future books, WK reviews, all things Japan-related, what else you did on the weekend, etc) or just lurk and listen. Readers of all speeds and abilities welcome - we are here to help each other out. Reading sessions will be held every Sunday at 9:30pm JST.

Week 7 session (in your timezone): Sunday, November 24, 2019 12:30 PM TZ

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

3 Likes

By the way, there’s a real break just one page later…

1 Like

Oh! This breakdown was thankfully done by catbus back then (because I only have the digital version of the book). Maybe they did not want to exceed the 15-page-limit? (Or maybe this break is not in all the books? :scream:)

Anyways, everybody: of course, please feel free to read the next page as well this week if the cliffhanger is too strong and you still have the capacity :relaxed:

2 Likes

Last week’s break was really hard to notice in my version, since it matched exactly the end of a page. I only noticed because I knew it was coming, so that I could see the telltale indentation at the beginning of the next sentence (of course, reading also showed an obvious jump in the natation). Maybe it’s something similar this time?

This is the first time time 典ちゃん and 栗ちゃん have been named, isn’t it? Unless I just forgot.

What have you all been going for with them? I’ve been thinking of them as のり and くる, but does anyone know what common reading are?

2 Likes

May I ask some questions please? meow meow~

At 41%

今は二人でいるしかなかった。他も先のこともなく安心した空間をあたたかく感じた。そして、うまく言えないけれど、このつけは必ずまわってくる気がした。

This is very near the beginning of this week’s reading. I am not sure what’s the meaning of つけ in the last sentence. The only meaning that seems to somewhat fit is “one’s fortune, one’s luck”, but jisho lists it as an archaism.

At 42%

「泣いて怒るのは想像上の私だったでしょ。案ずるより産むがやすし。」
This is the part where after Yuuichi explains Mikage how he ended up calling her. I have no idea what’s happening in the last sentence, especially that やすし at the end =._.=

At 43%

早くここを抜けなくては。早く抜けたい。今は、君を巻き込めない。二人で死の真ん中にいても、君は楽しくなれない。……もしかするとこの二人でいるかぎり、いつまでもそうなのかもしれない。

This is in the scene after Mikage asks Yuuichi if he wants her to move in with him as a friend or as a woman. Yuuichi is explaining that in his mental state he can’t figure that out. But what exactly is he saying in the part in bold? “Even if we are in the center of death… you won’t become … delighted?”

At 43%

……私と雄一は、時折漆黒の闇の中で細いはしごの高みに登りつめて、一緒に地獄のカマをのぞき込むことがある。

This part is just a bit after the previous question. I haven’t been able to figure out what カマ means here…

At 48%

「お気持ちはわかりますけれどね、でも人はみんな、自分の気持ちの面倒は自分でみて生きているものです。……あなたの言ってることの中に、たったひとつ、私の気持ちだけが入ってなかった。私が、なにも考えていないことが、どうして初対面のあなたにわかるの?」
This in the conversation near the end of this week’s reading, after the part where Mikage says “Stop!”. I feel quite lost here.

At the beginning she appears to be saying: “I understand how you feel, but people have to cope/deal with their own feelings.”

And then “… Among the things you are saying, only one has not (reached me? ‘entered’ ?)”. I have no idea what’s this “only one thing” she’s talking about?

The next part feels even trickier. My best guess is “How can you, who is talking with me for the first time, know that I haven’t really thought about anything?”. Even if that happens to be an accurate translation, I’m still not sure what she means with that…

More in general, I am not sure I follow their whole conversation. Most of the complaints that (Okuno?) states, seemed very off the mark to me, however Mikage seems to agree with them? If someone can give me their impressions I’d be really helpful for reference.

As usual, any help is appreciated!

2 Likes
41%

Not that you mention it, you’re right. I didn’t notice that when I looked this up myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

Weblio: 物事で楽や横着をした分、後で苦労したり、損をしたりすること

So, basically what you found on jisho. Seems to be somewhat of a set phrase.

42%

Found this next one also as a set phrase on weblio, with the 2nd meaning they give fitting the situation well I think: 想像していたより実際は容易だったという表現
The kanji they use is 易しい, which is usually read やさしい. I think やすし may just be a colloquial or older form of the verb that is (or was?) commonly or at least sometimes used in set phrases.

43%

I think this part references to the part a week or two back (or was it?) where they joke about everyone dying around them. Now he’s saying, even if they’re together, their bad luck combined may just mean that she still won’t be happy… because people will keep dying, I inferred. Not necessarily this drastic/dramatic, but they did joke about that.

43%

Pretty sure this カマ is a cauldron. I think I’ve heard of a folk tale where there’s a big cauldron in hell… This here might be it, though I haven’t done more than read the sentences containing カマ. The first one in the story is … a farming tool that I vforgot the English name for. The story is called 地獄の暴れ者.

48%

A note upfront: I don’t think みかげ agrees with her. She’s going the Japanese way of seeking harmony by not being confrontational. I think what’s happening is more that some of the things that other lady says make her remember other things. I think second guessing yourself and your past actions when someone accuses you like this isn’t too unusual. I sure do this too. :stuck_out_tongue:

でも人はみんな、自分の気持ちの面倒は自分でみて生きているものです。Rather than telling her to just deal, I see this as a kind of opening statement. ‘People all care for their own feelings.’ I’m honestly not sure whether that もの nominalizes the statement (people are these kind of … people xD), or if it might not be ものです, as in stating a reason. It’s because of this that みかげ gets where she’s coming from.

あなたの言ってることの中に、たったひとつ、私の気持ちだけが入ってなかった。In what you’re saying, my feelings don’t come into it at all. (meaning, are not taken into consideration). The only thing is emphasizes that she hasn’t considered みかげ’s feelings even for a bit.

I think you’re translation’s fine. This ties in with all the rest above. She’s basically accusing her of judging her without even having talked to her. Like, ‘how come you know me well enough to know what kind of person I am, that I’m not thinking anything at all’ (this ties in with the previous sentence, her feelings haven’t been considered at all, like she has none. Unless there’s another one with actual 考える or sth mentioned? I don’t remember clearly enough)

Hope this helps! And yeah, I can’t remember her name either. xD I wouldn’t mind if she showed up again, though. First action scene! :partying_face: :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you for the explanations! It definitely helps. Sometimes my mind gets stuck in a specific point of view or specific way to interpret sentences and can’t seem to get out. Seeing someone else’s interpretation helps me figure out where I went wrong.

3 Likes

I caught up until here (yay! :tada:) and I must say, this was the cliffhanger from hell :joy_cat:
I immediately had to continue until the next paragraph, if only not to forget the current line of thought and events…

Hahaha, omg, I had interpreted this as karma :joy_cat: Well, kinda works both ways, I guess.

2 Likes