アオハライド (Ao Haru Ride) book club [now reading volume 9]

This month, I’m trying to read a little bit every day, but I’ve kept myself too busy with research and programming projects so far this week… (Need to get back on track with reading tomorrow!) My goal is five pages per day, or if a miss a day, then recalculate daily for 30 pages per week.

I’ve been enjoying the artwork as I slowly work my way through. When I read a manga in English, I try to look at the artwork, but always end up missing a lot. When I read a manga in Japanese, I try to focus on reading, but often end up looking at the artwork.

Some faves from Volume 2, Pᴀɢᴇ.4:

Page 13

c08_846690_846647_1_013_001

Page 38

08_846690_846647_1_038_001c

That one mostly I took a liking to it because I spent so long thinking 「先こされちゃった」 didn’t look like proper Japanese (not that I’d know all properly formed Japanese).

A Google search for it turned up 「(さき)()される」. (Turns out the missing を is why it looked “off” to me.) I’m not at WK level 30 yet to recognize 越, but ichi.moe gives the meaning of this whole text as “to be beaten to the punch”, which certainly fits the scene.

Page 43: I can't see this one and not laugh.

08_846690_846647_1_043_001c

4 Likes

I’ll try taking more time to just look at the artwork too, it’s so nice and funny :smiley:

I have the same reaction :laughing:

I haven’t had much time for reading the last month, but I’ll get into it again now. I hope to have more time these next months.

2 Likes

Hello everyone! Sorry I’ve been kind of MIA, I already read the first 2 volumes and have honestly been a bit lazy with the rereading :sweat_smile:

But volume 3 starts in June (I believe someone was asking about this too) and I’ll be more active then! And I’m so glad you’re enjoying Ao Haru Ride! Its such a funny and sweet manga :blush:

2 Likes

That’s amazing! I made a reservation for the comic (Vol. 1) and I’d love to join the discussion, but since I live in Malaysia (and due to COVID-19), the comic will presumably arrive in around a month in store :persevere:. Oh well, at least I can brush up on my reading skills first and immerse more

4 Likes

Two days in and I seem to have completed the first Page in volume 3 =D Looks like I’ll be typing up some minor bits and pieces in a text editor while waiting for the thread =)

1 Like

Wow its June already - this quarantine is really messing with my sense of time :sweat_smile: heres the volume 3 thread! I may have already started volume 3 a bit early since the last volume stopped mid-arc :eyes:

2 Likes

Definitely understandable, I say. I started up volume 3 yesterday, and it took a few pages to remember, “Oh yeah, that’s what’s going on!” I think that’s partly due to having watched the anime a few months back (wait, has it been nearly half a year since I watched?! Edit: Well, maybe a third), so my memory of the anime kept me from recalling where things left off at the end of volume 2.

Oof I got way behind on volume 2, I need to catch up :disappointed:

But I already bought volume 3, and volumes 1-3 in English so I can check, so I might just read volume 2 in English for now and circle back to it :sweat_smile:

Let us know when you get volume 1! Happy to go back and reread it, I’m sure I missed a bunch of things :grin:

2 Likes

Hey there! The book has arrived in Malaysia. I’m quite excited actually, and I’ve started reading a couple of pages haha. I understand some stuff, but I think it’s a little heavy? Love how many of the words are repeated though, so that’ll drill them into my head more. So far, loving the story and experience :two_hearts:

5 Likes

On the volume 3 thread, I pondered on whether we want to keep the same pace or change it. Since I’ll be assisting with thread-making, I figured I’d put out a poll on pacing as well.

There are ten volumes left. At a pace of two months each, the series will be concluded in March of 2022. If we switch to one month per volume, we’ll reach the end in May of 2021.

What’s your pacing preference?

• Continue with two months per volume for now.
  • Switch to one month per volume starting with volume 4.
  • Switch to one month per volume starting with volume 5 or later.
  • Either way is fine for me.
  • Other (specify in comments).
0 voters
2 Likes

Looks like we’re tentatively trying one one month per volume, unless we get a few late votes requesting otherwise. (The poll was put on with very short notice.)

A thread for page 4 has been created.

3 Likes

While looking at random manga previews for something super-easy, I happened upon a manga that, while not fitting what I’m looking for, has main characters that somehow felt familiar:

Screenshot_20200810_151035

And the publisher? A company called Futabasha.

Talk about coincidences.

(Different mangaka from Ao Haru.)

3 Likes

3 Likes

Is that Orange? If so, I watched the anime, and it was really good :smile: Have never thought about it before, but the art is really similar!

It is indeed. I put it on my “consider checking out later” list. Don’t want to try reading two series with such similar-looking characters at the same time.

2 Likes

Seems smart xD
Strobe edge is also really good, if you want something feeling a bit like Ao Haru Ride (same author) :blush:

1 Like

I definitely am planning to check out this author’s other works after finishing AoHaru. I see on Kobo:

• BLUE
  • CALL MY NAME
  • GATE OF PLANET
  • ストロボ・エッジ
  • バイバイ、リトル。
  • マスカラ ブルース
  • 君ばっかりの世界
  • 思い、思われ、ふり、ふられ
  • 私の恋人

And practically everything is “volume 1 free through August 20th”, so I can just download them all and flip through to see whether they look interesting or not. (AoHaru has the first three volumes free, not that we care about that, and 「思い、思われ、ふり、ふられ」 has the first four volumes free.)

I don’t expect everything to be as good as AoHaru, but it looks like there’s at least two other series that have good artwork and ran for about ten volumes.

Could the title of this thread and its links be updated for volume 4?

3 Likes

But only for a week, then we’ll want volume 5. (Maybe it can be wiki’d?)

3 Likes

I took the liberty of changing the title @konsei

1 Like